The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rumor: Devils are lining up prospects to pursue Quinn Hughes

Just now, stawns said:

Sorry, I don't see that as a bargain deal for him.  I don't see him as the damn you do.  He's a great skater, great passer, good puck handler, but his game has big holes in it too.  I, personally, to wouldn't have given him that deal.

That’s nice, but every GM in the league would have given him that deal.

Point per game puck movers are worth 9-10 mil.

Again hes 23 and will improve. I would say he’s done pretty well with the likes of Baumgartner and Cull coaching him.

• Cheers 2
  • There it is 1

Just now, Coconuts said:

I'm not thinking about it too much, I'm just tossing my argument hat into the pile 

:bigblush:

If we send the proposal to Columbus with links and posts from SilentSam they’ll be convinced Miller is the second coming of christ in no time. 

• Haha 2
  • There it is 1

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

That’s nice, but every GM in the league would have given him that deal.

Point per game puck movers are worth 9-10 mil.

Again hes 23 and will improve. I would say he’s done pretty well with the likes of Baumgartner and Cull coaching him.

And I wouldn't pay a one dimensional player that kind of money and term.  I'd have given Petey that deal (though I don't believe in those deals for potential) and Hughes would get Petey's deal 

But really, it'd be closer to what Hughes should get than Nemec, NJ 1st, +

Even with Hughes that pick would probably still be top 5, Jiricek is a top tier D prospect, and Sillinger is a great young talent despite not blowing anyone away this season 

2023 1st (likely top 5), 12OA 2021 center, 6OA 2022 RD in Jiricek

It'll never happen but that'd be the biggest deal in a lonnnng time 

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Hughes is signed to a bargain deal and is only 23. Do you not think he’ll get better?

Also Nemec may very well struggle with those things AND not put up nearly as many points.

We’re not getting better with those moves. All we need to do is find a young solid stay at home guy for Hughes. Starting all over, especially on an unproven player, is not a great strategy.

And Quinn was only 18 when he was wowing NHL pros at the World Championships. 

He's that type of player, always was, still is, and is even getting better. 

Why do you think Benning and the boys were ecstatic when he fell? 

• Cheers 2
  • There it is 1

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

And I wouldn't pay a one dimensional player that kind of money and term.  I'd have given Petey that deal (though I don't believe in those deals for potential) and Hughes would get Petey's deal 

Just cause you say he’s one dimensional doesn’t mean he is. He makes our offense as a whole quite dynamic.

I think you’re just caught up in thinking a number one D man has to be big and hit and block alot of shots while putting up big points.

Those D men are about as rare as they come. And the game has changed quite a bit. Skating is king and Hughes is one of the best skaters in the league hands down.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Cheers 2
  • There it is 1

Jesus, I knew the media would run with this as soon as Sportsnet put the proposal on the panel...

Management literally is saying he's apart of the leadership group going forward and has been given an A, but because he's not deemed "untouchable" the media can't contain itself.

Us fans need to stop feeding into this crap. Hughes shouldn't go anywhere.

• Cheers 2

Just now, Maginator said:

Jesus, I knew the media would run with this as soon as Sportsnet put the proposal on the panel...

Management literally is saying he's apart of the leadership group going forward and has been given an A, but because he's not deemed "untouchable" the media can't contain itself.

That won't happen, we're too involved and we like to argue too much 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Maginator said:

This. 

If we got two great prospects one being a d and a 1st,plus good 3rd line player who is younger I would jump all over the trade.  

This would show EP we want to win sooner then later.  

Trade BB and Schenn,then Myers in the summer and this team will be better faster then we think.

9 hours ago, Sedin Brothers said:

https://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklund/Boeser-Trade-coming-in-days-NJ-and-Q-Hughes-e3-Tues-Buzz/1/120545

This is more for the discussion than the source. As a big time Devils fan (who appreciates the Sedin), I'd be willing to give Nemec, Mercer and a first. I think that's fair for both sides.

thoughts?

The deal for Hughes starts at 4 1st.

The marketing aspect of three talented brothers playing together is insanely huge.

The value of the Devils would probably be one of NHL biggest if not the biggest if the three continue playing as they do.

• There it is 1

Well, first off, I am not trading Hughes, at least not without a huge over payment

Those that seen Lindros refuse to go to Quebec, witnessed a Quebec team, that was paid a kings ransom, and became a huge winner to many years, so, sure, if the New Jersey Devils want to pay that ransom, I am willing to take a look at it. But remember Lindros was considered "Generational", which is why he got such a load in trade. Hughes is unfortunately not "Generational" he would not be considered the best under 25 defenseman in the league, and it is questionable whether he would be top 5. Better U25 Defensemen?

Hiskanen, Maker, Fox, Dobson, Seider, McAvoy, Dahlen, Powers, Sergachev, could all lay claim to being better over-all defensemen. Never mind incoming , Nemec, Juricek, Drysdale, and Clarke. All good young defensmen.

Now is Hughes better than most, yes but better than the starting 5, who every they be? I am not sure! maybe he is #5 or #6 on the list. But for how long? I am not slamming him, saying he is terrible, or that any part of his game is bad. I am simply pointing out, there are more than a few, and more on their way, that are pushing his ranking, in that #5 or #6 spot.

His value? Well, I am sure you could get Nemec, and a late 1st rounder if New jersey wants to Get Hughes for marketing purposes, and you may be able to squeeze another piece out of them in one of Holtz, Bahl, or Mukhamdullin. But I honestly doubt, New Jersey wants to mess with their team, mid-season while sitting in while in 3rd place overall in the entire league standings. Not a chance! So it is a futures type deal, with some cap dump either coming to us, or in separate moves to clear enough cap for him. Think out-going Tatar as one of the pieces (4.5 Million), with another one leaving as well, just to find the cap space (Exactly $7,850,000 more space Total!)

So, sure, if they want to give us a boat load, disrupt their team in multiple ways, then sure I would look at it, but I would not be holding my breath on that!

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1