The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Speculation) If Puljujarvi was on waivers, do we claim ?

Nope.  I think he could possibly turn into a fine middle six winger, we can leverage that cap space for future assets back instead or to grease the wheels on another trade by being able to take back more money than we send out.

Probably no one qualifies him as a RFA as that is more than what he is worth, again you can use that cap space in the summer to help out a team in cap trouble and help us.  We could try to get him in the offseason if we felt we needed to as a UFA at less than half that salary by promising him opportunity on a crappy roster.

Nothing compelling about this player to make me think he is worth more than the empty cap space.

We are one of the few teams that has the real dollars to take on a bad contract and the cap space (well LTIR space) to do it between now and the deadline.  There are going to be a lot of contenders looking to shed dollars so they can boost their roster and willing to pay in futures to do it.  A team like Arizona only wants to take on cap if there aren't real dollars attached, so they aren't in the same game we want to be at the deadline.  

Edited by Provost
  • Like 1

For whatever reason, after the ASG and the Horvat trade, guys like Boeser, Garland, Podkolzin have started scoring more.  In fact, 2/3 of our top-9 winger group (adding Beauvillier to the list) are projects who qualify as pricey or underachieving or both.  We really don't need another guy fighting for minutes when, if we really want to retool, the team should let them develop chemistry and momentum, and then trade them for respectable returns, not take up another winger who could hinder their improvement by taking their playing time.  

I'd rather claim Hajek (big LD) who the Rangers waived; 2nd round picks made by the Lightning (even though he was traded) are guys I'd take flyers on.

• Upvote 1

It would be interesting to see how Poolparty does once he no longer has to play with a locker room cancer who is also wearing the C.  I think once he is away from McDiver and in a better environment, he will improve.  Vancouver isn't the right place for that to happen right now though.

• Like 1
  • elephant 1

22 minutes ago, BlakeQuinnAndEggs said:

Worst case scenario its an asset to flip

He would probably get claimed before us though anyway.

he is not an asset to flip.... edmonton has been trying to trade him for years....

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bad_BOI_pete said:

the euro virtanen! :sick:

Has he been accused of sexual assault ?

Has he gotten into a physical altercation with a team mate on the bench ?  

This article details a lot about Jesse's game that most hockey fans are unaware of.

https://www.overtimeheroics.net/2022/03/31/why-jesse-puljujarvi-doesnt-need-to-score/ 

There is a lot of talk on this board about wanting our forwards to fore check more ?

And apparently he is well like by his team mates.

Does this sound like a " Euro" Virtanen to you ? 

As other have noted power forwards can sometimes take more time to develop.

• Cheers 1
  • RoughGame 2
  • elephant 1

5 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

This article details a lot about Jesse's game that most hockey fans are unaware of.

https://www.overtimeheroics.net/2022/03/31/why-jesse-puljujarvi-doesnt-need-to-score/ 

There is a lot of talk on this board about wanting our forwards to fore check more ?

I did watch him play in a game not long ago and he was very capable at throwing the hits,.

I hadn’t seen that side of him before in any game..   but he was engaged, hitting hard , skating fast , and punching straight lines to the net.  

Might be a good pick up if there is a template for Garland or Boeser to move.

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

Jake Virtanen is reportedly headed for a “most likely irreparable” split with Swiss League club EHC Visp after getting into an altercation with teammate Daniel Eigenmann during a game late last month.

got into a “verbal and muscular altercation(lol wtf does that mean??)” with Eigenmann on the bench in the dying minutes of Visp’s 5–1 loss 

Eigenmann reportedly presented Visp management with an ultimatum on behalf of his teammates — “it’s him or us”

https://canucksarmy.com/news/report-ex-canuck-jake-virtanen-on-the-outs-with-swiss-club-after-dust-up-with-teammate

Edited by Sharpshooter
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

I did watch him play in a game not long ago and he was very capable at throwing the hits,.

I hadn’t seen that side of him before in any game..   but he was engaged, hitting hard , skating fast , and punching straight lines to the net.  

Might be a good pick up if there is a template for Garland or Boeser to move.

I am not suggesting we pick him up, just pointing out there is more to a players game than just scoring. 

That comparison to Virtanen was kinda insulting. 

We do have a lot of wingers.

If we did trade BB, or Garland for a decent return I wouldn't be averse to taking a flyer on him for the rest of the season.

• Cheers 1

I’m open to it. It’s a low risk move and he’s young enough to maybe turn his career around. I think he’s a bust and I don’t expect much if we got him, but a free asset who’s young who could still maybe do something is not something I say definitive no to. Knowing that Mikheyev is done and Boeser and maybe Garland could be moved, it certainly wouldn’t hurt to get another mid six winger as well. 

• Upvote 1
  • There it is 1

2 minutes ago, CanuckFan1123 said:

I’m open to it. It’s a low risk move and he’s young enough to maybe turn his career around. I think he’s a bust and I don’t expect much if we got him, but a free asset who’s young who could still maybe do something is not something I say definitive no to. Knowing that Mikheyev is done and Boeser and maybe Garland could be moved, it certainly wouldn’t hurt to get another mid six winger as well. 

image.gif.0d34c6de98b03895ba5454936645acdf.gif

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Jake Virtanen is reportedly headed for a “most likely irreparable” split with Swiss League club EHC Visp after getting into an altercation with teammate Daniel Eigenmann during a game late last month.

got into a “verbal and muscular altercation(lol wtf does that mean??)” with Eigenmann on the bench in the dying minutes of Visp’s 5–1 loss 

Eigenmann reportedly presented Visp management with an ultimatum on behalf of his teammates — “it’s him or us”

https://canucksarmy.com/news/report-ex-canuck-jake-virtanen-on-the-outs-with-swiss-club-after-dust-up-with-teammate

As I stated below that was kinda insulting to be compared to Jake. 

Probably his best change of scenery would be linking up with his old buddy Seb Aho. 

Out of the players who led that legendary Finnish team to WJC gold, it's Jesse and our own Olli that haven't gone on to become big names in the NHL, Aho, Laine, Rantanen, Kapanen, Hintz and Kahkonen. 

Jesse led the tournament in scoring and was named MVP. 

Illustrates how success at junior level doesn't necessarily translate to success in the big leagues.

Still believe he has a role on the right team.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

As I stated below that was kinda insulting to be compared to Jake. 

Probably his best change of scenery would be linking up with his old buddy Seb Aho. 

Out of the players who led that legendary Finnish team to WJC gold, it's Jesse and our own Olli that haven't gone on to become big names in the NHL, Aho, Laine, Rantanen, Kapanen, Hintz and Kahkonen. 

Jesse led the tournament in scoring and was named MVP. 

Illustrates how success at junior level doesn't necessarily translate to success in the big leagues.

Still believe he has a role on the right team.

No NHL team will take a chance in such a toxic player. 

Virtanen isn’t the kinda guy that’s going to be able to a professional. 

Not here, not in Europe apparently, not anywhere, unless it’s in the minors, or a beer league. 

1 minute ago, Sharpshooter said:

No NHL team will take a chance in such a toxic player. 

Virtanen isn’t the kinda guy that’s going to be able to a professional. 

Not here, not in Europe apparently, not anywhere, unless it’s in the minors, or a beer league. 

My post was about Jesse Puljujarvi.