The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Speculation) If Puljujarvi was on waivers, do we claim ?

2 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Yupppp

Maybe he gets that opportunity somewhere, I'd just rather it not be here, if we want someone who could develop into a bottom six NHL'er we may as well give our own prospects a shot at it 

I agree... i dont want him near our young core, too much whining for trades.. refusal to play in the ahl... forget it.

10 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

If it was 3M beyond this year then of course we wouldn't do that, but it's only for this year (Pro-rated).  Unless that cap is specifically for some other reason (Which it may be) then there is no risk to it.

I just don't want this goofball near our team. If he cannot be anything more than a healthy scratch on the OILERS he will he nothing for us. I'm not limiting our own flexibility at the TDL just to take a flyer on a total bust.

I get the thinking but this guy isn't the project should target. 31 other teams don't even want him for free and neither should we 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

I just don't want this goofball near our team. If he cannot be anything more than a healthy scratch on the OILERS he will he nothing for us. I'm not limiting our own flexibility at the TDL just to take a flyer on a total bust.

I get the thinking but this guy isn't the project should target. 31 other teams don't even want him for free and neither should we 

That's valid and the GMs would have a better idea of whether he would have a negative impact on the team overall.  We don't know enough on that aspect.  I don't think 31 other teams have had the opportunity to take him for free yet, and I would wager a strong guess that Columbus may if given the opportunity as they have even less to lose.

14 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

I agree with everything but the goofball part, lol. He seems like a good kid. My guess is he's playing in Europe next year. 

Edited by rekker

3 hours ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

That's valid and the GMs would have a better idea of whether he would have a negative impact on the team overall.  We don't know enough on that aspect.  I don't think 31 other teams have had the opportunity to take him for free yet, and I would wager a strong guess that Columbus may if given the opportunity as they have even less to lose.

I should add too I'm a Vancouver fan talking about the oilers. I have no choice but to lean towards the negative side of things as well :lol:

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Mustard Tiger said:

I should add too I'm a Vancouver fan talking about the oilers. I have no choice but to lean towards the negative side of things as well :lol:

Haha me too, except I don't actually mind the Oilers, just not a fan of the Flames who seem like our true division rivals.  Here is actually a pretty good write up on it from the Oilers perspective.  Actually sounds like a lot of situational issues more than the player himself.  Also the highlight that he is actually defensively sound but the numbers aren't there this year. 

As mentioned at the bottom of the article as far as deal structure, I wonder if something like Puljujarvi + 2nd from Edmonton for Schenn would be an ideal setup.  We get our high pick, Schenn gets to stay close-ish to home and Puljujarvi is a multi-month lotto ticket experiment that either works or doesn't.

Article:

https://oilersnation.com/news/if-jesse-puljujarvi-is-getting-traded-which-teams-are-likely-to-take-the-chance

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 2

3 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

Haha me too, except I don't actually mind the Oilers, just not a fan of the Flames who seem like our true division rivals.  Here is actually a pretty good write up on it from the Oilers perspective.  Actually sounds like a lot of situational issues more than the player himself.  Also the highlight that he is actually defensively sound but the numbers aren't there this year. 

As mentioned at the bottom of the article as far as deal structure, I wonder if something like Puljujarvi + 2nd from Edmonton for Schenn would be an ideal setup.  We get our high pick, Schenn gets to stay close-ish to home and Puljujarvi is a multi-month lotto ticket experiment that either works or doesn't.

Article:

https://oilersnation.com/news/if-jesse-puljujarvi-is-getting-traded-which-teams-are-likely-to-take-the-chance

Would be all for Schenn to Coilers for a 2nd round pick and PoolParty. Worse case we walk away from him as an rfa and he becomes an ufa, if he plays a game that fits our teams need maybe he can be signed for under his 3m cap hit number?

If Canucks are deadset on trading Boeser, bringing in PoolParty for the rest of the year is a super low risk move

• Cheers 1

15 hours ago, Provost said:

Nope.  I think he could possibly turn into a fine middle six winger, we can leverage that cap space for future assets back instead or to grease the wheels on another trade by being able to take back more money than we send out.

Probably no one qualifies him as a RFA as that is more than what he is worth, again you can use that cap space in the summer to help out a team in cap trouble and help us.  We could try to get him in the offseason if we felt we needed to as a UFA at less than half that salary by promising him opportunity on a crappy roster.

Nothing compelling about this player to make me think he is worth more than the empty cap space.

We are one of the few teams that has the real dollars to take on a bad contract and the cap space (well LTIR space) to do it between now and the deadline.  There are going to be a lot of contenders looking to shed dollars so they can boost their roster and willing to pay in futures to do it.  A team like Arizona only wants to take on cap if there aren't real dollars attached, so they aren't in the same game we want to be at the deadline.  

They nhl should take out the QA should be what have you done in the past year to get a raise!!! Other then that market value is the QA for a RFA or UFA. Give them league min then pay them for bonuses if they hit it.. no more lazy players. 

39 minutes ago, timberz21 said:

Pass, sign him at 1M this summer when everybody else snubs him.

Only way that happens is by claiming him this year and having time to have a real discussion on a fair contract and his development.  This would be assuming he shows us something in that audition.

18 hours ago, billabong said:

No Way GIF

have you seen him play hockey?

He’s terrible….imagine riding shot gun with 2 of the 3 best players in the world and not having a career year?

Like that’s a different kind of suck 

Such a good point. 

The allure of draft spot says yes but practically speaking, if he can't put up points with McDrai and he can't stick on the team as a good 2 way player in bottom 6 on a defensively weak team, what would he do any differently here? 

I don't know his game enough to say claim him or not but just thinking abiut the opportunity he's been given playing with  2 of the  best players in the league and getting waived sounds like bad news. 

40 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

Only way that happens is by claiming him this year and having time to have a real discussion on a fair contract and his development.  This would be assuming he shows us something in that audition.

He’s making 3M$ now.  I don’t see him re-signing for less.  He’ll go on the market see if a fish will bite.

if nobody does, only then will you be able to sign him to a show me what you got 1 year deal IMO

we have other priority and young players who needs ice time before we make a commitment to him prior to July 1st

Edited by timberz21