The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

People say this year is a strong draft year. Well, I only see top 4 are foundational players.

Rate this topic

tan

The rest are good but can't tell if they are elite.

Canucks better be in Top 4 to draft one of these 4 players.

1. Connor Bedard, C, Regina Pats (WHL): The hockey world hasn’t been this much abuzz about a prospect since the last Connor came through. 

2. Leo Carlsson, C, Orebro (SHL): Did nothing to hurt his stock with his performance and usage at the WJC, where he had three goals and six points in seven games.    

3. Adam Fantilli, C, U of Michigan (NCAA): He adjusted and adapted to a completely different role and position at the world juniors and did so with a smile on his face. 

4. Matvei Michkov, RW, Sochi (KHL): Next to Bedard, Michkov may be the most talented player available, but he doesn’t possess the same size as the two others currently ranked ahead of him. 

Provided we don't see a big surge under Tocchet (and missing outgoing players) we are going to have a very high pick. If we make a bold move to acquire another 1st, I could see a real opportunity to flip those plus something for the 1OA. Which would be a dream come true for both parties.

I cannot comment on the other players you pointed out, but to me, we gotta go for the jewel in the gold.

Those 4 players could all go #1 in other draft years.  They are exceptional.  Other players in the top 12 are also potential elite top 6 forwards.  Zach Benson is a local boy, who could be a dynamic offensive centre.  Will Smith as well.  Not sure about the guys after the 13th, 14th pick though.  Could be like 2003 some say, nobody knows for sure right now...

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Petey wasn’t supposed to be “elite” going into his draft but look what we have now.

Top 4 almost looks like a sure thing (it usually isn’t but this year looks different) That said there are going to be a couple beauties overlooked in the top 15. 

I like Will Smith and Yager personally outside the 4 mentioned

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

I actually do think the early hype around this draft was a little bit overblown. The one thing that is particularly elite about it is the quality and quantity of high-end centers, and that's what had people so excited. The forward crop in general is strong and deep, but the defense crop is lacking. You don't have a 2003 draft without Ryan Suter, Dion Phaneuf, Brent Seabrook, Brent Burns, and you don't have a 2015 draft without Hanifin, Provorov, Werenski, Chabot.

Anyways, all of this talk about "we need to finish such and such or we're screwed" is such bullshit. There's a lottery and always going to be other teams in their rebuild cycles you're "competing" against. You pick where you pick. There's also always superstars to be found all throughout the draft. Just gotta find them.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2
  • There it is 1

It’s not just about elite players but about the actual amount of solid talent all through the top 2 rounds, and then some after that. 

The fact that there’s so many prospective solid players within the top 5, it’s something that hasn’t been seen in awhile. 

The fact that there’s a generational player as well, is the cherry on top. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, HighOnHockey said:

I actually do think the early hype around this draft was a little bit overblown. The one thing that is particularly elite about it is the quality and quantity of high-end centers, and that's what had people so excited. The forward crop in general is strong and deep, but the defense crop is lacking. You don't have a 2003 draft without Ryan Suter, Dion Phaneuf, Brent Seabrook, Brent Burns, and you don't have a 2015 draft without Hanifin, Provorov, Werenski, Chabot.

Anyways, all of this talk about "we need to finish such and such or we're screwed" is such bullshit. There's a lottery and always going to be other teams in their rebuild cycles you're "competing" against. You pick where you pick. There's also always superstars to be found all throughout the draft. Just gotta find them.

Bang on HOH. 

Wonder how many of these posters watch hours of video ?

Read every scouting report they can get their hands on. 

As far as I am concerned you come closest to the " professional" sources I access in both the time you put in and your analytic skills. 

One interesting tool is the Hockey DB drafts of previous years that list when players were drafted and how many games they have played.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, kloubek said:

Provided we don't see a big surge under Tocchet (and missing outgoing players) we are going to have a very high pick. If we make a bold move to acquire another 1st, I could see a real opportunity to flip those plus something for the 1OA. Which would be a dream come true for both parties.

I cannot comment on the other players you pointed out, but to me, we gotta go for the jewel in the gold.

You are dreaming. Nothing's going to move the 1OA. People's been saying Bedard will be as transformation as Crosby for Pittsburgh for a while now. 

10 hours ago, Devron said:

Petey wasn’t supposed to be “elite” going into his draft but look what we have now.

Top 4 almost looks like a sure thing (it usually isn’t but this year looks different) That said there are going to be a couple beauties overlooked in the top 15. 

I like Will Smith and Yager personally outside the 4 mentioned

Oh man, I hope we draft Will Smith if we're not in the top 4.  Imagine the possibilities on this forum... the memes!  The gifs!  The emoticons!  The possibilities are endless!

• Like 1
  • There it is 1

6 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Oh man, I hope we draft Will Smith if we're not in the top 4.  Imagine the possibilities on this forum... the memes!  The gifs!  The emoticons!  The possibilities are endless!

Lets say we pick 5th or 6th and Will Smith is available.  If Detroit's pick lands outside the top 10, would you swap picks plus Seider from Detroit?  Would Detroit do it?

• Haha 1
  • There it is 1

3 minutes ago, coho8888 said:

Lets say we pick 5th or 6th and Will Smith is available.  If Detroit's pick lands outside the top 10, would you swap picks plus Seider from Detroit?  Would Detroit do it?

Detroit wouldn't do it.  Seider alone would be worth a top 5 or top 6 pick.

• Cheers 2
  • There it is 1