The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Rangers trade Vitali Kravtsov to Canucks for William Lockwood, 2026 7th-round pick

2 hours ago, Oldmanpower said:

Sorry, didn’t mean to sound so negative. Was just trying to temper alot of seemingly high expectations for a player that really hasn’t proven himself statistically. Maybe I’m just disappointed in the lack of attention being paid to our defence.

We don't want our defense improved this year.  Hopefully in the summer, we will get the defence that we need.  Right now it's all about the Tank!

32 minutes ago, iceman64 said:

Ghost! Stop that! This is vancouver, you know logic doesn't fly very well here ffs! 

No it doesn't mean he's going to excel at the NHL level but after watching his highlights on YouTube, he reminds me of Kuz, except bigger. 

Sure he needs development but he's only 23 and should be a easy one, skating and learning to cycle with good timing, would be a game changer for him, he needs some confidence and best to start him off in Abby and work that up. Not sure throwing him into the shark tank right away is a good idea, why not let him get some more reps in Abby and see how he does? 

Seeing as how he would have to go through waivers to be sent down it is a guarantee that he will be playing with the Canucks but otherwise I agree being sent down would be the best option for his development. One of the few advantages of not making the playoffs is being able to let some prospects come up and play to learn what the NHL pace is like since outcome of the games don't matter anymore. The rest of season is his audition for next year. It also makes sense that they are looking for cheap forward talent so they can move out some big contracts and hopefully improve the defense.

2 hours ago, Oldmanpower said:

Sorry, didn’t mean to sound so negative. Was just trying to temper alot of seemingly high expectations for a player that really hasn’t proven himself statistically. Maybe I’m just disappointed in the lack of attention being paid to our defence.

Temping expectations is fine but should that really detract from people being happy about it? That's all I'm going to say about that really. Just something to think about I guess.

As far as our defense goes, it's probably the hardest thing to fix and I can only imagine it taking a long while before that actually happens. Think about how long it's taken some good teams to actually get defense. It's the problem of a lot of teams out there.

Edited by The Lock

1 minute ago, JC2 said:

Seeing as how he would have to go through waivers to be sent down it is a guarantee that he will be playing with the Canucks but otherwise I agree being sent down would be the best option for his development. One of the few advantages of not making the playoffs is being able to let some prospects come up and play to learn what the NHL pace is like since outcome of the games don't matter anymore. The rest of season is his audition for next year. It also makes sense that they are looking for cheap forward talent so they can move out some big contracts and hopefully improve the defense.

Shite yeah I forgot about the waivers, agreed with the rest though but I guess he could just be a healthy scratch and practice with the team to get out systems down first but maybe that's me just being, well whatever but he's got tons of talent, but in the head as far as confidence goes is another matter that can take down or slow down the curve. 

I just want him set up for the best chance to succeed, I'm just not a fan of sink or swim but if it has to be that, easing him in with a life jacket as in slow as possible with just practicing but whatever, I just want the best for both sides. 

14 minutes ago, JC2 said:

Well it's not just the D, our forwards are hardly supporting them still and that HAS to change, that's the sign of a elite team. 

Has it been like that? We all know the answer to that one, a sometimes it's resembled that last season in a few games but that's hardly enough. 

We can have a much better D but without support, it won't matter all that much against the best teams, we will get buried everytime and everyone knows what happens in the playoffs without it.. 

Getting pumped for the playoffs and then ousted in 4 straight in the 1st round (ish?) No thanks...  

Our forwards positioning for passes and support are horrid! If I was a D player and got traded here, I'd be pissed off, hung out to dry every night by the forwards..  

Edited by iceman64

2 minutes ago, iceman64 said:

Well it's not just the D, out forwards are hardly supporting them still and that HAS to change, that's the sign of a elite team. 

Has it been like that? We all know the answer to that one, a sometimes it's resembled that last season in a few games but that's hardly enough. 

We can have a much better D but without support, it won't matter all that much against the best teams, we will get buried everytime and everyone knows what happens in the playoffs without it.. 

Getting pumped for the playoffs and then ousted in 4 straight in the 1st round (ish?) No thanks...  

I think supporting the defense is more about the system than the players. It's up to the coaching staff to make the players accountable to play better defensively which is was one Boudreau's faults. He was a great motivator but not a great systems coach. Sure it's also on the players to put in the effort but as they say defense can be taught.

Just now, J-23 said:

Kravtsov, Andersson, Kakko, Laff.

All top 10 picks. Either Rags can’t draft or they can’t develop. 4 big blows.

I would lean towards development.

Sure two top 10 picks you could blame on drafting but 4 in that short of time? Odds are you should get a top player out of one.

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

I would lean towards development.

Sure two top 10 picks you could blame on drafting but 4 in that short of time? Odds are you should get a top player out of one.

Especially with two of those picks being 1st and 2nd overall. Going 0/4 is bad.

Like the Nucks going 0/4 on Pettersson, Hughes, Juolevi and Virtanen. We went 2/4 and barely keeping our head above water.

Team is so lucky Panarin and Fox chose them.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

I heard he was expected to join the team in Dallas tomorrow, I think they said he may be a game time decision. 

I would personally like a practice or two before he sees any icetime.

Yeah it might be better to get a couple of practices in so that's he's some what familiar with the team / systems. Want the guy to succeed rather than see him when he's not ready and be a liability on the ice. 

• Cheers 1

If it's true that Miller's being scratched for trade-related-reasons tomorrow, then I wonder what our lineup tomorrow looks like in Dallas.

Kuz - Petey - Beau 

Garland - Raty - Boeser (see what the kid can do?) 

Podz - Dries - Kravtsov 

Joshua - Aman - Studnicka 

Hughes - Burroughs 

Wolanin - Myers 

Breezer - Juulsen

PP1

Kuz - Dries - Beau

Hughes - Petey 

PP2

Podz/Kravtsov - Raty - Garland 

Boeser - Wolanin 

Man, our lineup is looking depleted.