The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Are We Back on the JR Bandwagon Yet?

Rate this topic

JamesB

JR Performance  

117 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I never left the bandwagon...  

Get ready for another year of pain Canucks fans.  Looking at finishing 10th from the bottom next year before we fight for playoffs. 

Allvin has my full confidence (except for drafting, but for that we have to wait and see). 

14 hours ago, 24K PureCool said:

He is good at trading I'll give you that. But other aspects of the job is meh to atrocious. 

That sounds like Benning. He was only good at one thiing 

14 hours ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

I don't care about how successful the club is for some time.  It is still absolutely shameful how he and the front office handled the firing of Bruce Boudreau.  It has actually put a serious stain on the franchise.  When it comes to sports, there is something more than just pure performance.  Fans should want to be proud to support their team.  We have no pride right now.

Jesus, the damage Benning did then? He made the Canucks a graveyard... 

Now it's all positivity coming up from the grassroots. 

Have you heard anything negative abput Abbotsford par example?

I still think its a little early but i like the recent moves..  i do not like the boeser signing and didnt at the time ( cant skate or drive play ), i would have preferred a miller trade as his age doesnt match up with their window however you need to keep talent around petey to keep him happy and not lose every game.  I like miller as a player when he is engaged on defensive side which he has improved for sure..  the big question is drafting and jr’s draft record has been terrible..  i do not like jl as i feel he lacks dynamic quality which a first round lick should have. If you cant skate well you will struggle in todays league..  i got roasted when i first joined this forum creating a pat white topic and how i couldnt figure out why he was our pick..  same reason, no dynamic quality..

drafting is the lifeline of success for a team and that is my big question mark.. past results have not been good for jr but fingers crossed

Certainly not back on the bandwagon yet. 

I'll admit they started with a bit of a mess to sort out - but haven't really done anything of solid consequence to change that and the way they have conducted business has been highly questionable.  

The deal for Bo was an average to above average return - I liked Raty as a prospect but watching him play in the NHL you can see he is still a project - those Gaunce comparisons.:unsure: It will be a test of their pro scouting to see how this deal comes off. Beau has been good - but we should be really looking to trade a winger by the deadline. 

Draft picks are good un all but you need to prove your not going to waste them - Lekkermaki is likely a complete write off at this point, the kid has missed too much Hockey and strength training already and with the physique of a wet noodle is unlikely now to be ready to play NA hockey for another 3 years. While the injuries are hardly management's fault picking another player of such frailty in that spot with only a good shot to show for the upside was not a good call. 

Kravtsov - Hmmm, I like the trade but jury is really out - his NHL stats are horrible, he plays a very soft game according to rangers fans backed up by stats and has attitude issues. Tools are there - but we have yet to prove we can develop a single player here recently - all marginal prospect seem to regress in this org. This needs to change ! 

Still not out and out tanking to maximize our draft odds - hardly storming up the table either but we need to make sure we get into that bottom 5 not outside the top 10. 

In conclusion, I would say there are some more promising signs ... but still a long way to go before we will really see if this group can turn things around or continue with the large pattern of failure they have exhibited over their 1st year in charge. 

4 hours ago, Timråfan said:

That sounds like Benning. He was only good at one thiing 

Jesus, the damage Benning did then? He made the Canucks a graveyard... 

Now it's all positivity coming up from the grassroots. 

Have you heard anything negative abput Abbotsford par example?

He was only good at one thing...given a tremendous handicap with draft position

21 hours ago, Alflives said:

Compared to the previous regime the new guys are phenomenal. 

Alf? What have you been getting into lately? These 2 are idiots!! And hiring Toc? Are you kidding? 

If you think we were a disaster team in 2012, you haven't seen anything yet! We are so F'd it's ridiculous! 

This team is never going anywhere, and those stupid enough to think it will, are just that stupid as ever, like the last 40 years of not building a team and ending up with a depthless roster, yeah that worked great didn't it? 

A few people in the media pointed out (and oddly correct for a change) that Vancouver can't handle a rebuild and it's true as it ever was. 

But back to it, reality bites as much as we don't like it, this team isn't going anywhere but mediocrity and no cup.. saying or dreaming it will ever change is laughable, build a team for once? Rightttttt.. 

And don't get me started on how the worst fan base in the NHL thinks it knows much, that's even more laughable.. more like hilarious!  

Edited by iceman64
  • Cheers 1

What seems to be clear about JR/PA is the team has hit the tank button. That is the first indication that Aquaman has withdrawn his self proclaimed hockey operation expertise. JR/PA are in the tank more to make sure they get as best a player they can at this years draft ( I see JT is not in Dallas with the team ) This has never been achieved under JB or MG so from my perspective it's a step forward. As the old adds used to say "Mikey likes it "  :gocan:

• Like 1

16 hours ago, D.B Cooper said:

week wife GIF

They still suck.  
I don’t like the Lekkermaki pick. 
Our defence is absolutely horrible. 
JR is a goof. 
Im fine with the Bo trade, but that’s not enough to sell me on the garbage job the did up until a week or two ago 

Your mistaken, they don't just suck, they suck ROYALLY!  Worse than 70's and 80's? Probably about the same, possibly worse but that's a toss up...

Only in Canuck Nation.   Its been a year and a half folks. Many of you....including me....gave Benning at least 4 or 5 years before we started to grumble.  Some here still defend him ffs. The problem on defence Benning left us is near impossible to fix. I don't know why some expected it to be fixed overnight.

One clear mistake was the Dickenson cap dump for Stillman,  And worse, JRs obvious pressuring BB and RT to play him over Burroughs to save face.

I'd put the signings of Boeser and Miller in the "questionable" category.

With Boeser, I don't know anyone who was overly upset at the time of the re-signing.  Maybe it was all naivety and sympathy, but I think many thought with injuries and his dad's sad story behind him, he was going to have a renaissance year.  That's why I'd rate that as questionable rather than bad at the time. Hind sight is 20/20.

With Miller, the only sticking point for me is age. And all the ramifications surrounding that factor. I love him as a player, and if it were Bo or him, I'd choose the more passionate one every time. That was why I have more of a problem with JB trading away yet another 1st and 3rd rounder at the time for a player that didn't fit any rebuild timeline.  But now that he's here, and Bo's gone, we still need veteran leadership and the deal is fair, so i'm good with Miller. He also is a big part of a new culture we are building. The team will hopefully be able to still take advantage of his passion and skill in the first years of being a contender, knock on wood.  The back end of his contract will be a problem but its hardly unique to a lot of FAs. Its almost now accepted that very good players in the middle of their prime, late 20's, you must give them term to include a few years where they will decline. What is hoped is that before that they have performed an important role in the success of the team. (Hopefully a Cup in there)

Not sure about giving up on a 6 ft +  right hand D prospect in Myrenberg, (and DiPietro) for Studnicka. We don't draft RHD, we just trade them away for some reason.  Stud has hardly lived up to that name.

The Bruce firing process was fine. Anther media driven "scandal".  Its not like BB had a young family and needed job security, and hadn't already built up a nice nest egg and already had a  long successful career already.  Oooooo they made him coach for two weeks when he knew he was a lame duck.  The horror!

The Kuzmenko grab was a highlight. Mik is a very good acquisition. Bear was a steal. Horvat's haul was good on surface. Not going to list all the smaller deals already talked about, but they have mostly been good. Chipping away. Doing what he can for now. The important part is that JR has not had to give up hardly any draft picks or good prospects with his moves.  Apparently he stuck to his guns in not giving up Hoglander in the Kravtsov trade.  So far JR's pro-scouting has been light years ahead of tweedle dee and tweedle dumb.

I just think there's a lot of pent up impatience with this fan base. Which is understandable. But unfortunately I think we have a ways to go, and IMO. Its impossible to judge any GM after this short a time, no matter who it is.  There's a reason why the firing order is usually first coaches, then players, and finally the GM.  It takes years to fully appreciate the work from a GMs/PHOs first years.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Yeah, the fanbased is definitely a mixed bag but JB is on another league.  

At least he gave a shite and tried his best but people can't seem to get their idiot heads around what he was faced with and wasn't a professional GM really for any amount of time and no I never said he didn't make mistakes but the league is full of GM's who have as well but the disaster he was handed and given a 2 fold job of trying to re-tool a contract locked in roster by MG and keep seats warm aka Aquaman at the same time isn't a job I would have ever taken in the first place, remember how 2012 ended with a depthless broken (to say the least) and zero farm prospects.. and not a lot of pick from drafts either plus Canada being a second rate destination amongst players, then taxes here a big part of that.

Yeah it's easy to throw stones until we put ourselves in their places in the same circumstances.

I've asked others countless times, what would YOU have done in his place and I've never got a single answer to that, not one! 

Lots of talking heads who don't know $hit but that's nothing new, those same people come on here and parrot what the media says about anything like it's true or something! 

P.S. obviously if you want to blame someone, in my mind it's franchesco 

He should have hired a seasoned GM with a successful track record instead.. 

Edited by iceman64
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, iceman64 said:

Alf? What have you been getting into lately? These 2 are idiots!! And hiring Toc? Are you kidding? 

If you think we were a disaster team in 2012, you haven't seen anything yet! We are so F'd it's ridiculous! 

This team is never going anywhere, and those stupid enough to think it will, are just that stupid as ever, like the last 40 years of not building a team and ending up with a depthless roster, yeah that worked great didn't it? 

A few people in the media pointed out (and oddly correct for a change) that Vancouver can't handle a rebuild and it's true as it ever was. 

But back to it, reality bites as much as we don't like it, this team isn't going anywhere but mediocrity and no cup.. saying or dreaming it will ever change is laughable, build a team for once? Rightttttt.. 

And don't get me started on how the worst fan base in the NHL thinks it knows much, that's even more laughable.. more like hilarious!  

I think having JR has finally got our owner to listen to what management believes is best, rather than insisting management follow what he thinks is best. JR came in and pretty much said the club was winning because of Demko masking problems in the structure of play and in the lineup. IMHAO JR was trying to trade Miller at the 2022 TDL, but our owner (Friedman Tweet) told JR to take Miller off the market and sign him in the summer. Then JR’s next struggle with the owner (all behind the scenes, of course) was his wanting t9 move on from Bruce last summer. Our owner said no. (Reported by Seravelli) Then the season goes backwards. And I think our owner, who was forcing his direction finally gave in to what JR wanted t do from the start. So, Bruce was replaced. Bo was traded for futures. The direction of the team switched to rebuilding moves instead of win now, or speed up the change, moves. And then today Stillman is moved for futures. I see moves now that reflect what JR believes is best, and not our owner.

So, fans can not like the moves. That’s fine. But it’s the change in direction what I see as the positive. 

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I think having JR has finally got our owner to listen to what management believes is best, rather than insisting management follow what he thinks is best. JR came in and pretty much said the club was winning because of Demko masking problems in the structure of play and in the lineup. IMHAO JR was trying to trade Miller at the 2022 TDL, but our owner (Friedman Tweet) told JR to take Miller off the market and sign him in the summer. Then JR’s next struggle with the owner (all behind the scenes, of course) was his wanting t9 move on from Bruce last summer. Our owner said no. (Reported by Seravelli) Then the season goes backwards. And I think our owner, who was forcing his direction finally gave in to what JR wanted t do from the start. So, Bruce was replaced. Bo was traded for futures. The direction of the team switched to rebuilding moves instead of win now, or speed up the change, moves. And then today Stillman is moved for futures. I see moves now that reflect what JR believes is best, and not our owner.

So, fans can not like the moves. That’s fine. But it’s the change in direction what I see as the positive. 

Well using your scenario at the end of the day is a step forward I agree but it's from 2 sports writers and didn't come from FA himself so it may or may not be b.s. but I lean towards it being b.s., I don't trust anything I read by anyone unless it's from the horses mouth. 

However IF this team gets built over the long-term, none of this will mean anything, just like the last 40+ years will it? 

Alf, you know as well as I do that unless we support a good roster for once with depth, you know where this ship is sailing, as always.

• Cheers 1