The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Are We Back on the JR Bandwagon Yet?

Rate this topic

JamesB

JR Performance  

117 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

5 hours ago, hammertime said:

We need D not fricking wingers. 

the entire rest of the 1st round were better picks. Bichsel, Pickering, Kemell, Gaucher, Kulich, Miroshnichenko, Lambert, Rinzel, Bystedt, Schafer, Ohgren literally any of them would have been a better pick for our team. Lekkerimaki was the absolute worst possible pick. Ranking shmanking wanking thats how you get Jordan Schroeders and Hunter Shinkaruks and Lekkerimakis.  Why have a scouting dept at all if not to get the players you need in your system. 

Like Juolevi? :lol:

• Haha 1
  • Wat 1

1 minute ago, hammertime said:

Say we have the #5-8 pick are we gonna miss on a Tkachuk if we reach for a D?? Is Benson Smith Cristal Sale givin you Tkachuck vibes??? Na we skip a skinny winger we got one of those last year.

Draft pert guy n 650 said he could see Michkov drop to 8,9, or even 10. He thought we will take Michkov if he does fall to where we have our own pick. Then we would use the Islanders’ pick as the guy we parade around for marketing, while we wait on Michkov. He added the club that does get Michkov will add, in three years, a great player. 

Fingers crossed that if we can’t get one of the top three centres, then we do get Michkov. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Draft pert guy n 650 said he could see Michkov drop to 8,9, or even 10. He thought we will take Michkov if he does fall to where we have our own pick. Then we would use the Islanders’ pick as the guy we parade around for marketing, while we wait on Michkov. He added the club that does get Michkov will add, in three years, a great player. 

Fingers crossed that if we can’t get one of the top three centres, then we do get Michkov. 

I'm down for Michkov

• Cheers 1

On 2/26/2023 at 1:45 PM, Alflives said:

Compared to the previous regime the new guys are phenomenal. 

Yeah they let go of schenner... F'n Genius! We don't need toughness or grit, we can win a cup with a soft team like we usually have had over the years... We have so many cups I doubt we have room for anymore! 

Blah.. everyone wants a highly skilled soft team to entertain us all season long but never win a cup. 

I'm still shocked by the utter stupidity of that kind of thinking but then again this is vancouver and everyone is hot after the media's thinking that started it all long ago and never stops and even now, it's still happening today. 

I guess most people are either too lazy or too stupid to think critically for themselves or something, and just go blindly on, believing whatever their told like good lil lemmings. 

And people argue we DON'T have the leagues worst clueless fans.. that's funny! 

Thankfully that's not everyone but the majority that's for sure.. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, iceman64 said:

Yeah they let go of schenner... F'n Genius! We don't need toughness or grit, we can win a cup with a soft team like we usually have had over the years... We have so many cups I doubt we have room for anymore! 

Blah.. everyone wants a highly skilled soft team to entertain us all season long but never win a cup. 

I'm still shocked by the utter stupidity of that kind of thinking but then again this is vancouver and everyone is hot after the media's thinking that started it all long ago and never stops and even now, it's still happening today. 

I guess most people are either too lazy or too stupid to think critically for themselves or something, and just go blindly on, believing whatever their told like good lil lemmings. 

Are we actually competing for a Cup this year? We got a third for Schenn and will likely sign him back this summer. 

Yup do agree we need to be a tougher team that is hard to play against. Don’t see how this Schenn Trade has anything to do with that though. It appears to me this new regime is the one that has finally convinced our owner that we need to build properly. So trades for futures. And JR isn’t Aquilini’s hand puppet, like Benning was. That’s a very good thing, don’t you think? 

13 minutes ago, Petterson649 said:

Still have done NOTHING to upgrade the defense. So no JR and Alvin the chipmunk still suck balls

I am very critical of this management because the things they've said before their start have not been achieved thus far.

That being said, it's hard to deny that they are leaps and bounds better with pro scouting.

Every GM has their strengths and weaknesses. I honestly don't think allvin has done enough to build towards the future.

Edmonton is in the playoff picture, but had the good sense to offload Barrie for a 1st rounder. As a retool team, we are not doing enough.

1 hour ago, iceman64 said:

Cup? Nah, we're just happy we got an asset back on an expiring vet contract. By the time we even sniff cup contending relevancy Schenn may just be retired.

This ship and culture will take years to turn around. No one here is expecting an overnight fix, just that we are making steps in the right direction that lines up with what it takes to win in today's league. Asset management and actually cashing in your chips before they walk for nothing.

I'll say this hypothetically until we see results, but if the reports are true that we may move Boeser/Miller, it'll show another thing that was sorely lacking from the last regime. An ability to course correct on mistakes.

Vancouver certainly has its share of stupid fans, but they've mostly melted away from the post 2011 years. I think what we have right now is the hardcore dedicated group, on the most part, very knowledgeable but of course biased like any fanbase. I wouldn't accuse anyone on this forum of being a bandwagoner or a bad fan.

Edited by DSVII
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Petterson649 said:

Still have done NOTHING to upgrade the defense. So no JR and Alvin the chipmunk still suck balls

I was told to be patient with Benning for 8 years because the hole Gillis left him isn't a quick fix (even though I disagree with that take), so I'm extending the same courtesy to Allvin, probably 2-3 years. I don't think even Sakic or Yzerman can do much with the 13 million dollar boat anchor on the d-line right now. And we potentially have 5 more years of OEL playing replacement level defense on the books. It's not an overnight solution.

The fact that we got anything back for Stillman gives me some hope. Wait and see.

Edited by DSVII
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, DSVII said:

Cup? Nah, we're just happy we got an asset back on an expiring vet contract. By the time we even sniff cup contending relevancy Schenn may just be retired.

This ship and culture will take years to turn around. No one here is expecting an overnight fix, just that we are making steps in the right direction that lines up with what it takes to win in today's league. Asset management and actually cashing in your chips before they walk for nothing.

I'll say this hypothetically until we see results, but if the reports are true that we may move Boeser/Miller, it'll show another thing that was sorely lacking from the last regime. An ability to course correct on mistakes.

Vancouver certainly has its share of stupid fans, but they've mostly melted away from the post 2011 years. I think what we have right now is the hardcore dedicated group, on the most part, very knowledgeable but of course biased like any fanbase. I wouldn't accuse anyone on this forum of being a bandwagoner or a bad fan.

Ummm.. there's a running joke on this forum that goes something like so.. 

3 wins in a row, plan the parade!

3 losses in a row, tear it down!

Ok so there might be slight variations of how many games won and lost about that saying but it's crazy typical here and I won't even start how many fans listen to the media and Parrott it here as if it was true and oftentimes it's hardly the case, ok so I did start but I'll end it there but I could go on. 

Sorry but myself and a lot of others would soooo disagree with that because of your here long enough and pay attention you can't help but see how blatant it can be.

6 hours ago, DSVII said:

I'd be surprised if we have a contender before Schenn hangs up his skates...

This season is done, and Canucks are finally accumulating picks and prospects, which has been severely needed. 

i love Schenn, classy guy, who was almost like a father to QH, but we need to stock up on prospects. 

Schenn will likely be back in the Summer, to stand up for the rights of the small guys. 

Mean time see that 3rd turn into a nasty bottom six player, who'll destroy anyone laying a hand on our stars... or maybe a star D man? 

More importantly, I doubt there are anyone, bar a few trolls hanging around the pages, who isn't hardcore fans... 

You'd have to be, to go through all the suffering, only to return the next day, to take part in yet another discussion about this franchise. 

Personally, I applaud all of the knowledgeable folks here on CDC with their takes, inputs and points of view, which makes it so much more than just a whine party. 

Love my daily dose of CDC... 

Now back to hockey :rolleyes:

11 hours ago, iceman64 said:

Grow em and trade em is the only thing I can think of for that, however I'm thinking it's going to be a busy off season for us, I can picture Tocchet saying a want a tougher team as well as smaller skilled because anyone who knows anything about hockey will say a soft team and the playoffs do not mix when bigger teams start laying on the body and it gets rough, we've had that enough times before and it didn't work for us either.

I do hope, he does, as I think, we wanted that in like forever...

Problem seems to come from management though. GM after GM says they wanna get bigger and faster, only to sign/draft smurfs, which goes totally against, what they said. 

I was very disappointed last draft, when Bichsel and Pickering were at our doorstep, only to see them pick another lightweight....

I totally get us doing so, if you have the chance of a generational or foundational player, but that was hardly the case with Lekkerimakki...

Anyway its water under the bridge...

Yes, I have zero doubt that Tocchet wants players, who'll fight their corners. 

And that might also be, what keeps Miller in Vancouver, despite he flaws. 

I'm sure that Brock is top of that exit list....

18 hours ago, hammertime said:

I think Beauvellier has been equally as impressive if not more so. I don't think we can call either of them core. They are in the Mikael Samuelsson category guys who contribute and you want to surround your core with. 

You are thinking of key players, or even franchise players.  As an example here's 2011's team...

Key: H. Sedin, D. Sedin, Kesler, Luongo

Core: Samuelsson, Burrows, Ehrhoff, Edler, Bieksa, Hamhuis

Regulars: Raymond, Malhotra, Torres, Hansen, Higgins, Lapierre, Salo, Ballard, Schneider

Depth: Tambellini, Glass, Alberts, Rome, Oreskovich, Tanev

Today's team?

Key: Pettersson, Hughes, Miller, Demko (Horvat)

Core: Kuzmenko, Beauvillier, Boeser, Garland, Mikheyev

Regulars: Dries, Joshua, Lazar, OEL, Myers, Bear, Martin (Schenn)

Depth: Aman, Studnicka, Podkolzin, Burroughs, Delia (Stillman)

10 hours ago, DSVII said:

I was told to be patient with Benning for 8 years because the hole Gillis left him isn't a quick fix (even though I disagree with that take), so I'm extending the same courtesy to Allvin, probably 2-3 years. I don't think even Sakic or Yzerman can do much with the 13 million dollar boat anchor on the d-line right now. And we potentially have 5 more years of OEL playing replacement level defense on the books. It's not an overnight solution.

The fact that we got anything back for Stillman gives me some hope. Wait and see.

What's going on with our team right now is what we shoulda' done back when Linden was brought in as prez. But obviously that's a whole other bit of nasty history with this franchise. What's done is done.....Sooooo done!!!!!

OEL/Myers big money contracts are definitely stifling change in our D. N ot a great scenario for management to remedy. I dunno what their plan is regarding shoring up our D. The previous JB regime can be blamed for the dilemma we're in. Although I blame Ownership meddling as well.

The JR Bandwagon? I'm still on the fence. I like what they've done lately; acquiring younger forwards of note and more draft picks. I'm guessing all those new forwards and a few of our longer running ones are gonna be traded for more drafts and possibly to sweeten a trade for a top 4 D player. As you say.......Wait and see.

• Cheers 1

After resigning JTM & BB6 I was ready to write him off as "old & senile" but after finally trading Horvat to get some new leadership in the room & cashing out on him and now hearing that he's finally come to his senses and has pretty well put the entire team up for sale (as he can see this group that has failed for years has absolutely "No-Hope) and is now focusing correcting his earlier naive mistake and ridding the team of BB6 and JTM,.................I now have regained some hope, especially as he finally has "seen-the-light" like us long-time fans - that have known for years that this team is in need of "Major Surgery" as he calls it.   

I also am impressed with the Kuzmenko signing/resigning which so far has been the only really good thing he's done to date.   So I am sitting on the fence to see if he is really sincere about getting rid of most of the players we now have and rebuilding but that may take a bit more time to be fair to him, so lets wait and see if he sticks to his word about "Major Surgery" as he's only traded Bo and dumped a third string old $850k defenseman (Schenn) and some abby prospects so far and that doesn't qualify as major surgery in anyones books.   

Still holding my breath................and hoping he does better than the previous bumbling idiot we had before him - which is a very low bar and should be easy for even a child to do!

Edited by RU SERIOUS
typo
  • Like 2

I give credit to JR for shutting his mouth since firing Boudreau and letting Allvin do the work. 

I feel like Allvin deserves more credit. 

Trade returns have been good. The fact that trades are taking place is a good thing. For example, JB might have held on to Schenn.