The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Josh Bloom | LW

Sean Monahan

I've noticed some interesting things about the new kid, Josh.  I noticed that he is one of the few players in

his draft that didn't play a single game in his draft year.  It seems that the OHL was the only Jr league that

shut down in '20-21, due to Covid.  This meant that Josh and the other OHL players were drafted based on

the results of the year prior to the draft (Josh being a June birth, would have played the entire year at 16yrs).

I also have noticed that most of the 1st round (OHL) picks were able to find teams in other parts of Canada,

the US and Europe, so were able to continue playing; despite the closure of their Jr league.

I wonder how much missing a full year of hockey (and loosing that development time) effected Bloom's draft

selection order and how much it may still be effecting his development process.

He could play another year in Jr or the Canucks could see if he can make the Abby team.

• Thanks 2

47 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

I've noticed some interesting things about the new kid, Josh.  I noticed that he is one of the few players in

his draft that didn't play a single game in his draft year.  It seems that the OHL was the only Jr league that

shut down in '20-21, due to Covid.  This meant that Josh and the other OHL players were drafted based on

the results of the year prior to the draft (Josh being a June birth, would have played the entire year at 16yrs).

I also have noticed that most of the 1st round (OHL) picks were able to find teams in other parts of Canada,

the US and Europe, so were able to continue playing; despite the closure of their Jr league.

I wonder how much missing a full year of hockey (and loosing that development time) effected Bloom's draft

He could play another year in Jr or the Canucks could see if he can make the Abby team.

I tend to think support for our prospects is showing results. I have no idea Where Buffalo are with development

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, higgyfan said:

Hopefully we can have another Youngstars Tourny in the fall to get a look at this kid. 

• Cheers 1

12 hours ago, Fred65 said:

I tend to think support for our prospects is showing results. I have no idea Where Buffalo are with development

The Sabres in the past few seasons have garnered 1st and 2nd round picks of note. Cozens, Dahlin, and Powers to name a few keepers. Mittlestadt is a mystery. But by and large 1st overall picks can really make ones team flourish.

The Gillis era of drafting wasn't stellar, and the Benning era trading away early round picks added to the prospect depth trauma; the last of the remaining Gillis era picks BoHo, is gone. And of course hits 'n' misses with Benning. 

Seeing as the present regime has been busy, I'm curious to see how some of the moves to acquire other teams young prospects works out. Raty, Bloom; undrafted free agent signings and trades, Karlsson and Bains in particular, and of course our own, Silovs, Klimo, Boner, Woo, and the dudes in other parts of the hockey nations. Our 1st round pick since Pods in 2019, Lekkerimaki, is a project I'm very interested in. 

This coming 2023 entry draft holds much interest for me too.

2 hours ago, Sativika said:

The Sabres in the past few seasons have garnered 1st and 2nd round picks of note. Cozens, Dahlin, and Powers to name a few keepers. Mittlestadt is a mystery. But by and large 1st overall picks can really make ones team flourish.

The Gillis era of drafting wasn't stellar, and the Benning era trading away early round picks added to the prospect depth trauma; the last of the remaining Gillis era picks BoHo, is gone. And of course hits 'n' misses with Benning. 

Seeing as the present regime has been busy, I'm curious to see how some of the moves to acquire other teams young prospects works out. Raty, Bloom; undrafted free agent signings and trades, Karlsson and Bains in particular, and of course our own, Silovs, Klimo, Boner, Woo, and the dudes in other parts of the hockey nations. Our 1st round pick since Pods in 2019, Lekkerimaki, is a project I'm very interested in. 

I wasn't thinking in terms of drafting as develpment. Drafting has so many variables a top 5 pick is way way better than a bottom 5 pick in the 1st round, we can't simply bunch all 1st round picks. I was thinking more along the lines of development. There's an interesting atricle discussing the development of McDonough and the part the Sedins played in it.  You don't hear a lot about it but I tend to believe it's crucial.

'They're the nicest guys': How the Sedins helped develop McDonough - Vancouver Is Awesome

Edited by Fred65

Yea. I read that earlier on today. Very cool. There's definitely some positives surrounding our organization. (Sick of hearing the negatives to be honest!) Bringing the twins in was a good move. Some championship winning individuals in the organization definitely is a plus. I'm happy with the coaching down on the farm. Cull was not it. Perturbed with Cull's promotion to the big team. Glad he's been dismissed.

I believe Buffalo's development to be on par. Otherwise they wouldn't be as good as they are right now.

2 hours ago, Sativika said:

Yea. I read that earlier on today. Very cool. There's definitely some positives surrounding our organization. (Sick of hearing the negatives to be honest!) Bringing the twins in was a good move. Some championship winning individuals in the organization definitely is a plus. I'm happy with the coaching down on the farm. Cull was not it. Perturbed with Cull's promotion to the big team. Glad he's been dismissed.

I believe Buffalo's development to be on par. Otherwise they wouldn't be as good as they are right now.

WasCull a Benninghire ? 

5 hours ago, Fred65 said:

I wasn't thinking in terms of drafting as develpment. Drafting has so many variables a top 5 pick is way way better than a bottom 5 pick in the 1st round, we can't simply bunch all 1st round picks. I was thinking more along the lines of development. There's an interesting atricle discussing the development of McDonough and the part the Sedins played in it.  You don't hear a lot about it but I tend to believe it's crucial.

'They're the nicest guys': How the Sedins helped develop McDonough - Vancouver Is Awesome

I don't think you could find a better skills coach than a Sedin twin.  I think they are committed to do whatever

they can to support young players in becoming the best they can be.  I read a similar article regarding Raty

working with Henrik.  He talked about his lack of confidence; especially being told that his skating wasn't

good enough.  Henrik spent time with him showing various ways to lessen the impact (average) skating on

his game.  Since then, Raty has been playing better in Abby.

These men are in the prime of their lives and could do whatever they wanted; anywhere in the world.  Instead,

they have chosen to stay with their former team and teach young hockey players how to reach the pinnacle

of their game.

Speaks volumes about their passion for the game and the delight in helping others reach their dreams.

• Like 2
  • Vintage 1

The Twins are not people who sit back and watch. They're either all in or not interested, or so it seems to me they were into running the marathon a while back ( not sure if that's still the case ) and I understand they were rated as soccer player. I hope management appreciates what they have. Message to JR/PA watch out they'r ecoming on

• Vintage 1

On 3/21/2023 at 5:15 PM, higgyfan said:

I can't remember if it was Sam Cosentino or Corey Pronman that said that Josh Bloom elected to just stay home and train for the entire year, and get stronger. He took a big risk but still ended up getting drafted. 

3 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

I can't remember if it was Sam Cosentino or Corey Pronman that said that Josh Bloom elected to just stay home and train for the entire year, and get stronger. He took a big risk but still ended up getting drafted. 

Yup. This Bloom kid looks really good. Seems this management is good at identifying good players. 

• Cheers 1

On 3/22/2023 at 8:11 AM, Sativika said:

Finally gutting a scouting department renowned for not finding much after the first two rounds - that is, when Benning didn’t trade away those slots for guys like peg leg OEL or not bother to re-sign the guys he traded away our draft slots for, like Tofolli. Our new guys trade a first and a second for a guy with a season ending shoulder injury - just to keep our tradition alive. I have no confidence that it will be us taking our first pick i& there is somebody else in the league in need of season ending surgery. 

It is actually possible that it would have been wiser to trade ou4 own first rather than the Isles first. Damn, I never saw that coming. 

1 hour ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Finally gutting a scouting department renowned for not finding much after the first two rounds - that is, when Benning didn’t trade away those slots for guys like peg leg OEL or not bother to re-sign the guys he traded away our draft slots for, like Tofolli. Our new guys trade a first and a second for a guy with a season ending shoulder injury - just to keep our tradition alive. I have no confidence that it will be us taking our first pick i& there is somebody else in the league in need of season ending surgery. 

It is actually possible that it would have been wiser to trade ou4 own first rather than the Isles first. Damn, I never saw that coming. 

Aren't you a beacon of positivity? From what I've seen in Hronek - he's well worth the price that we paid for him. The team had a chance to see what we got, no reason to push him if he's not fully recovered this season, where points no longer matter. Plus, to be correct, we did not trade 1st and 2nd for Hronek alone. Do your homework and don't mix up the facts...

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, RomanP said:

Aren't you a beacon of positivity? From what I've seen in Hronek - he's well worth the price that we paid for him. The team had a chance to see what we got, no reason to push him if he's not fully recovered this season, where points no longer matter. Plus, to be correct, we did not trade 1st and 2nd for Hronek alone. Do your homework and don't mix up the facts...

I’m not concerned about Hronek’s ability or his character, I’m concerned about his health. We have a history of acquiring health problems: Baertschi, Ferland, Dermott, Poolman, and now Hronek. He is only worth it if the shoulder is not a permanent issue. Oh, you mean the fourth. A fourth has one quarter the value of a second, one eighth the value of a first in terms of the likelihood of yielding a player that plays over a hundred games in the NHL - a minor detail compared to a high first and a high second. 

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, Ray_Cathode said:

I’m not concerned about Hronek’s ability or his character, I’m concerned about his health. We have a history of acquiring health problems: Baertschi, Ferland, Dermott, Poolman, and now Hronek. He is only worth it if the shoulder is not a permanent issue. Oh, you mean the fourth. A fourth has one quarter the value of a second, one eighth the value of a first in terms of the likelihood of yielding a player that plays over a hundred games in the NHL - a minor detail compared to a high first and a high second. 

Benning, Benning, Allvin and Benning... Who's our GM now?  Might as well add injured players Gillis, Nonis, Burke, Quinn....etc pick up.  Come on now... He has a shoulder injury that's not 100%.  They've had a look at him and want him to be ready for next season. 

Since our focus isn't making the playoffs, let's see what we have in our kids and ahl prospects shall we.  

Take a deep breath and worry about something worth while.

Edited by Hogs & Podz
  • Like 4

17 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Our scouting department wasn't gutted. 

Todd Harvey is still the head of our amateur scouting. 

We just witnessed a 7th round pick score a goal yesterday. I think your view of our amateur scouting is way too pessimistic. 

Our OHL scouting has selected Conor Lockhart, the defenseman named Kirill. I trust them in Josh Bloom and he looks like a great forward prospect that we have very little of in our system.