The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Josh Bloom | LW

Sean Monahan

11 hours ago, kenhodgejr said:

Bloom reminds me as decent prospect similar to a Kole Lind type of player 

He appears to be a seriously better skater than Lind. And Lind was never a particularly good penalty killer while in Vancouver’s system. I don’t see him as much like Lind, I’d be interested to know where you find the similarity- could easily be something I missed.

6 minutes ago, stawns said:

There's a very good chance Bloom never plays a game in the NHL.  

Could get a chance to scope him out in the AHL tho, get a good idea of what we have. Maybe Abby can make something out of him…The young kids Colliton has been moulding and excelling are kinda shocking me. Nielsen, Wouters, Bains, Woo finally looking good. All these young guys who I watched Cull try and mould year after year but never seem to crack the NHL line up…and now this year all these guys are coming up looking like pros? I liked Cull and he always kept the farm team competitive and was never given much roster wise…but the leaps and bounds this year from young guys on the farm is pretty astonishing…long rambling story short, there could be a good chance Bloom could pan out into a bottom line forward. 

I haven’t been on here for a bit Stawns, has it been asked if Bloom is eligible to play in this years AHL playoffs? 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

Could get a chance to scope him out in the AHL tho, get a good idea of what we have. Maybe Abby can make something out of him…The young kids Colliton has been moulding and excelling are kinda shocking me. Nielsen, Wouters, Bains, Woo finally looking good. All these young guys who I watched Cull try and mould year after year but never seem to crack the NHL line up…and now this year all these guys are coming up looking like pros? I liked Cull and he always kept the farm team competitive and was never given much roster wise…but the leaps and bounds this year from young guys on the farm is pretty astonishing…long rambling story short, there could be a good chance Bloom could pan out into a bottom line forward. 

I haven’t been on here for a bit Stawns, has it been asked if Bloom is eligible to play in this years AHL playoffs? 

I have no issue with the deal, especially as the Abby guys have stepped up.

52 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

If you think players like Palmu and Dahlen want out of Utica because Cull was a good coach, think again.

Both Dahlen and Palmu has been a captain of their team. So they normally in a normal environment is believed to have a positive impact on their team.

The environment must have been toxic in some way. Cull was the ringleader…

3 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

If you think players like Palmu and Dahlen want out of Utica because Cull was a good coach, think again.

Both Dahlen and Palmu has been a captain of their team. So they normally in a normal environment is believed to have a positive impact on their team.

The environment must have been toxic in some way. Cull was the ringleader…

Dahlen had another chance with a different club and still refused to Phat the right way. NHL skill for sure. But lacked the motivation to play without the puck. 

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Dahlen had another chance with a different club and still refused to Phat the right way. NHL skill for sure. But lacked the motivation to play without the puck. 

I would say that he lack the skill similar to Virtanen. Good hands but can’t take the next step and visualise playing without the puck.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1
  • elephant 1

3 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

I would say that he lack the skill similar to Virtanen. Good hands but can’t take the next step and visualise playing without the puck.

Good point, Tim.  Dahlen had some offensive IQ, but was lacking in the defensive game.  Along with

low IQ, Virtanen was very immature and rushed by the Canucks.  Seeing a 6th overall pick bust out hurt

a lot more than a 2nd rounder Dahlen.  Besides, the Canucks might have a good return on Dahlen with

the Karlsson trade.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Good point, Tim.  Dahlen had some offensive IQ, but was lacking in the defensive game.  Along with

low IQ, Virtanen was very immature and rushed by the Canucks.  Seeing a 6th overall pick bust out hurt

a lot more than a 2nd rounder Dahlen.  Besides, the Canucks might have a good return on Dahlen with

the Karlsson trade.

The dumbest thing Vancouver did was rush guys like Virtanen and McCann, I rather they went back to juniors and absolutely dominated their leagues rather than coming up and struggling. What they are doing with someone like Hoglander reminds me of the old Detroit teams that would let guys marinate till 23-24 and come up and produce and be ready for the NHL

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, NorthWest_Express said:

The dumbest thing Vancouver did was rush guys like Virtanen and McCann, I rather they went back to juniors and absolutely dominated their leagues rather than coming up and struggling. What they are doing with someone like Hoglander reminds me of the old Detroit teams that would let guys marinate till 23-24 and come up and produce and be ready for the NHL

The fans were screaming for a couple of saviours and management caved. 

51 minutes ago, NorthWest_Express said:

Who was there to beat them out of a spot in camp?

image.gif.191cbac4288057fcb5c0c7fc97fff286.gif

Virtanen did progress after his trip to the minors. Increasing goal and point totals each season averaging around 13mins TOI and no PP 1 time.

His final season in Van he had a 37.3% offensive zone start at 5v5. Hard to produce, starting in your own zone and only getting a dozen minutes a game.

To me, Green was the issue on how he utilized players. Virtanen put up 18g and 18a, 36pts with very little power play time and a sub 50% ozone start and 13:05TOI… which earned him heavier defensive responsibilities??? Wtf? You’d think he would get more ice time and more offensive zone opportunities

Going back to junior there are a lot of bad habits that go unattended. Less 1 on 1 work and another year of bad habits, is harder to iron out

1 minute ago, AnthonyG said:

Who was there to beat them out of a spot in camp?

image.gif.191cbac4288057fcb5c0c7fc97fff286.gif

Virtanen did progress after his trip to the minors. Increasing goal and point totals each season averaging around 13mins TOI and no PP 1 time.

His final season in Van he had a 37.3% offensive zone start at 5v5. Hard to produce, starting in your own zone and only getting a dozen minutes a game.

To me, Green was the issue on how he utilized players. Virtanen put up 18g and 18a, 36pts with very little power play time and a sub 50% ozone start and 13:05TOI… which earned him heavier defensive responsibilities??? Wtf? You’d think he would get more ice time and more offensive zone opportunities

Going back to junior there are a lot of bad habits that go unattended. Less 1 on 1 work and another year of bad habits, is harder to iron out

He would have had a big role for Calgary and Canada if he went back even for one year, and being in the WHL would have allowed the organization to give him a solid development plan. I agree that Travis Green was a horrendous coach, especially at developing young players