The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Luke Schenn to Maple Leafs for 2023 3rd-round pick

• 3 weeks later...

I’m still extremely disappointed that Canucks GM made this move for a third from Toronto. I would have just kept Schenn, even if he signed somewhere else in the offseason. He is probably what the Leafs needed most to actually balance out. A Canuck GM’s first priority should always be to help our team first, but a second close priority should be to not help out the Leafs and Flames in any way. We saw Markstrom, Tanev, and Toffoli all let go to help the Flames, even though it wasn’t enough. But shame on Canucks management for helping Toronto. Most Canucks fans despise the Leafs, and this needs to be recognized by those who make trades for this team.

• Wat 1

2 minutes ago, Slegr said:

I’m still extremely disappointed that Canucks GM made this move for a third from Toronto. I would have just kept Schenn, even if he signed somewhere else in the offseason. He is probably what the Leafs needed most to actually balance out. A Canuck GM’s first priority should always be to help our team first, but a second close priority should be to not help out the Leafs and Flames in any way. We saw Markstrom, Tanev, and Toffoli all let go to help the Flames, even though it wasn’t enough. But shame on Canucks management for helping Toronto. Most Canucks fans despise the Leafs, and this needs to be recognized by those who make trades for this team.

careful with yer mindset ... its called cutting off your nose to spite your face and generally not helpful

• There it is 1

4 hours ago, Slegr said:

Schenn is UFA at seasons end, lose him for nothing or trade and give him a call come july 1st.

Markstrom or Demko, pick one. no other options. 

Toffoli was signed by Montreal, not Calgary.

Tofu is too similar to Boeser. Canucks do not need more undersized scoring wingers with sub par skating.

Tanev @ 4.5. No thank you.

So, you'd rather lose an asset then to trade with the Leafs ?

5 minutes ago, coryberg said:

Schenn is logging 12:29 a night with the leafs where as he hovered around 17 minutes in his 3 seasons in van. I'm thinking it's a safe bet we get him back this offseason.

Plus, TML's are still awful in their own end. They'll be golfing after the first round.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

Plus, TML's are still awful in their own end. They'll be golfing after the first round.

I think if we offered him 1-2 years NMC, an A or... the C x 1 year then he comes back the leadership actually looks good now, but yes I would like him back at a decent cap hit

14 hours ago, Slegr said:

You may be missing one thing here.....it's possible Schenn wanted a trade to help the Canucks in the off-season while gaining a playoff season in his late career in a city which he is comfortable in.  My guess is that this was a mutual plan with PA working with the team of Luke's pick.  When GM's do these kinds of things, players do respect the clubs (and may come back).  We'll see in a few months time I guess.

1 hour ago, Canucks Curse said:

I think if we offered him 1-2 years NMC, an A or... the C x 1 year then he comes back the leadership actually looks good now, but yes I would like him back at a decent cap hit

I think offer him for a single year , with a job/ role as an ASSISTANT Coach trainer (3yrs)  waiting  for him. (Separate Contract)

my 2 bits.    It’s time to let the farm have more opportunities like what we’re seeing now.… and Luke would be looking for a sweet spot durring Father Time and still be home for dinner ;) 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, SilentSam said:

I think offer him for a single year , with a job/ role as an ASSISTANT Coach trainer (3yrs)  waiting  for him. (Separate Contract)

my 2 bits.    It’s time to let the farm have more opportunities like what we’re seeing now.… and Luke would be looking for a sweet spot durring Father Time and still be home for dinner ;) 

I agree with letting more of the farm team having a shot. I think players like Wolanin and Brisebois could thrive up here if given enough time. Then there's also prospects like Raty who may very much just be a matter of time.

That being said, I still want to see us shore up our defense more without relying on prospects to jump in. The unfortunate thing is that could get expensive, and that's not even considering cap.