The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Red Wings trade Filip Hronek, 2023 4th-round pick to Canucks for conditional 2023 1st-round pick (NYI), 2023 2nd-round pick

Just now, stawns said:

The other thing is that it's been rumoured, for awhile, that Detroit wanted to move his contract.  I thought the point of weaponizing cap space and taking on those contracts was to get picks and prospects back, not give them up

Hronek? He's not a cap dump? He is a good, still young RHD. Why would they pay to move him? There are lots of teams that'd be interested in him. Very few had the cap space to take him like we did. Probably why the deal happened now. We are bidding against no one. We wait til the offseason when more teams have cap, we have more bidders, price goes up.

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

Most likely there are other moves being made.  Boeser and Garland are probably in play.  Myers gets traded in the summer.  OEL trade, LTIR, buyout.  Lots of moving parts here.  Like Tocchet said, one bite at a time...

I wouldn't be surprised if it's a complete sweep of Boeser, Miller and Demko.  Completely re-do their roster

2 minutes ago, AngryElf said:

Just because we did really well with the Bo deal, doesn't mean we should forgive them immediately for this one. I support this group because I would be driven insane otherwise, but this isn't the move to make when you're sitting at 27th in the league. We're currently OVER the cap for 2023/24, which means more players need to go. I assume we're going to sign this guy to something in the ballpark of 8x6.5 over the summer, so what happens next? 

Beau - Petey - Kuz 

Mikheyev - Miller - Garland 

Hog/Pearson(?) - Lazar? - Boeser 

Joshua - Aman - Podz

Hughes - xxxx/Schenn?

OEL - Hronek 

Rathbone(?) - Myers

Someone needs to be dealt or bought out, because right now we cannot afford extensions to Bear or Kravtsov. 

Hronek is signed for one more year at $4 million.  So not sure what you are talking about...

1 minute ago, awalk said:

You obviously highly value Hronek. Horvat for Hrovek would be an awful trade IMO. Why is Hronek worth a Horvat alone? I'm trying to find a way to like the deal, help me lol.

Top four young D man, who is a 3, is worth a 50-60 point centre that struggles defensively. Plus Bo is now way overpaid. We moved Bo’s cap allocation to D and will have 4.4 left over. In a vacuum that’s a very good deal for us. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, stawns said:

they traded Horvat at $5.5 and retained $1.4m.  It doesn't matter what he gets next year.  

Sure it does.  It's about the cap moving forward.  We still have nearly $4M in space right now.  Are you planning to add a $7M player to this roster at the moment?  If not, who cares.

• Like 1
  • There it is 1

Just now, N7Nucks said:

Hronek? He's not a cap dump? He is a good, still young RHD. Why would they pay to move him? There are lots of teams that'd be interested in him. Very few had the cap space to take him like we did. Probably why the deal happened now. We are bidding against no one. We wait til the offseason when more teams have cap, we have more bidders, price goes up.

been whispers all season that they wanted to move his contract out 

35 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

Yes we need to actually develop prospects. Our cupboards are bare.

It looked like we were finally heading in the right direction, so to see them change course and do the same thing as we did with OEL is frustrating.

If we're to spend picks, don't spend them on guys like Hronek. He is not the legit top 4 D some people think he is.

I agree......and why would Yzerman let a good defenseman go off the roster when they are headed into the playoffs. because he already knows this guy wants too much too resign

• Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, Ronning4center said:

Neither is Chychrun when you get right down to it.  Neither is Hughes...or most puck moving defenceman. Positioning can be taught....scoring can't.  We need more

points from the blue line.

We'd be able to sign players who do that in free agency if we didn't keep blowing all our cap space.

If it were so easy to teach positioning, we wouldn't have been so dreadful defensively for so many years.

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Somehow Allvin made a desperation move during a time that’s reserved for buyers to be desperate.

The timeline for this sucks too. He’s gonna be asking for top dollar as soon as Petey’s new contract kicks in. We could have just signed an overpriced D man in free agency. It’s not like we’re gonna be good in the next two years when he still has a reasonable contract.

This move just doesn’t make sense unless there’s another big move to address the D core coming.

and we urgently need to clear cap for next season. Like we have $0 left. 

Just now, stawns said:

I wouldn't be surprised if it's a complete sweep of Boeser, Miller and Demko.  Completely re-do their roster

Why trade for Hronek if you then are trading Miller and Demko?  Makes no sense.  They are not rebuilding.  In fact, they will probably add 2-3 UFA's in the summer to fix the defence.  A Miller trade has a 0% chance of happening right now...

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, HKSR said:

Sure it does.  It's about the cap moving forward.  We still have nearly $4M in space right now.  Are you planning to add a $7M player to this roster at the moment?  If not, who cares.

Is this trade like that Family guy episode where the guy has a pice between a yacht and what’s (potentially) in a box? Maybe we got a yacht in the new guy? 

• There it is 1