The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Red Wings trade Filip Hronek, 2023 4th-round pick to Canucks for conditional 2023 1st-round pick (NYI), 2023 2nd-round pick

3 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Hughes - ?

? - Hronek

Dermott - Bear

It's a decent start. More please.

I like that as a start.

So much better without OEL and Myers there. :lol:

Im good with Dermott and Bear as stop gaps until we can develop some of our other guys like Pettersson, Johansson, Rathbone, Jurmo, Woo etc.

Just now, AnthonyG said:

Yea okay so he had one bad draft…. You want to complain about drafting? Go look at how our boy JR and PA faired in PIT. You might regret your chirps for Benning having 1 bad draft where the guy he drafted 5th overall was derailed by injury, not IQ or hockey skills. It wasnt his play that made him a bust, it was injury.

But hey what a bad pick Demko was, Petey, Hughes, Podz, Hogs, Boeser…. Just crap. Thanks a lot for nothing Benning

you list 6 player 4 of which are 1st rounders. 
and yet you believe he did a good job. 
One bad draft lololololololololololol

When ever I need a good laugh this place delivers in spades. 
you literally   made my argument. 

the excuses lolololololololololol

a 5th and a 6th busts back to back!! 

One bad draftlololololololol

4 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Drance: "Who sells 1st and 2nd round picks when they're 27th in the league in point percentage?!" 

He nails it. 

Personally I would take Button's break down of the trade over Drance's...but to each their own.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Drance: "Who sells 1st and 2nd round picks when they're 27th in the league in point percentage?!" 

He nails it. 

Yeah but who realistically thinks we're 27th with a season of healthy Demko? We lost a majority of our games through brutal goaltending and defense. This deal fixes a part of that. Bigger picture everyone!

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

He nails it. 

A GM who hasn’t even made it through his first full season and is already feeling the pressure because he’s done nothing to improve the team that’s who…

Hard to argue with that. Not only do bottom teams not trade picks at the deadline, they don’t trade for players that make their roster better when they should be tanking.

The only way this makes sense to me is if they’re confident they can replace at least the 1st or 2nd round pick in a trade. You can’t come out and say we’d like to add more picks and then end up with less than you’d started with. :lol:

8 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

He nails it. 

“who sells “ ?

A team preparing for next season , targeting a need , and a contract they can work with .

So they traded a pick for a guy they could hope to develop in 2 -3 years from the draft.

This player falls into the now and future timeline.    It also “compliments “ the age and core we have as it move forward.

They took the Hope out of the equation.

Edited by SilentSam
  • Cheers 3

3 minutes ago, garthsbutcher said:

I dont hate the trade but i would have been happier if it was just the first , throwing in the second seems a bit much 

At the draft I have a hard time seeing him costing this much TBH. 

If we traded a 2nd I would have been happy. If it was a 1st + 3rd for Hronek and 2nd I would have been OK. 

This is waaaay too much to give in a deep draft for this player with only one year left on his contract. I would have given up this for Carlo given the years left on his contract and how he is a better fit in terms of player type. 

Hronek looks like a pure OFD prone to mistakes who can play well with a rock solid partner. 

Hughes - Bear
OEL - Hronek
Dermot - Myers/Schenn

This is still not a good defense, not even close. 

We had the opportunity to be patient. Like how we got Bear for a 5th or Ehrhoff for a 4th. Making a knee jerk trade like this given where we are is terrible.

If the Canucks were the hottest team in 2023, and 10-1 post Horvat trade and right at the cusp of the wild card it would have made some sense. But given that this season is a throwaway I cannot make sense at all of paying such a premium.  

1 minute ago, combover said:

Looking like Francesco will be keeping gates open for the new guys to join him 

JR said what they were doing.

If you didn’t listen it’s on you.

Younger, better, quicker and top RHD and it’s a retool with players in Petey and Hughes timeframe.

Is that so hard to understand?

So what has Fransesco with Petey and Hughes to do? 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, SilentSam said:

“who sells “ ?

A team preparing for next season , targeting a need , and a contract they can work with .

So they traded a pick for a guy they could hope to develop in 2 -3 years from the draft.

This player falls into the now and future timeline.    It also “compliments “ the age and core we have as it move forward.

It's continuing the mediocrity merry-go-round. Sure, it helps us now, but we don't need help right now. We need draft picks in this deep draft, a shot at Bedard, a shot at Celibrini next year, etc. This will improve our team (if he hits), but that will what, put us in midfield again and trying to squeak into the playoffs only to get bounced right away? 

5 minutes ago, combover said:

Guess you cant read eh? Still havent put in any time to look at the statistics from 2 years ago, which are probably even better at this point. 

Take the toupee off, you’re balding, accept it.

1 hour ago, RU SERIOUS said:

What happened to the "Major Surgery" JR?????? 

This has Aqualini impatience & JB "Re-Tool" written all over it !

Canucks have been the most active team in the NHL trades. Traded their captain, and used pieces of that trade squire our 2nd best defensemen. I'm not a fan of every move, but it's hard to argue they aren't doing major surgery already.

7 minutes ago, Metal Face Doom said:

Too many people are hung up on the draft picks.  If you want a true rebuild.  You trade Petey and Hughes as well.  Were not doing that.  We are building around them.

There was a way to keep both Petey and Hughes and still start drafting inhouse players for long term success. This management group just turned the page on that. As such we might as well just trade all our picks and go all in. There is a tiny chance this works but most likely we're just looking at another 8-10 years of futility. Maybe they'll finally do it right at that point but I doubt it. One thing is certain, our prospect pool, or lack there of is going to continue to hurt us down the road. 

We are going to have a lot of problems trying to fill out the roster with no prospect depth, and no cap space. We still need 4 more defenceman, a 3C, a 2C probably, a backup goalie, and some more quality in the bottom six. All this and we're currently a bottom 6 team. What a mess. Maybe Hronek turns into Bobby Orr.

55 minutes ago, ToTellTheTruth said:

So McDavid will be traded, what for? Picks maybe?

How long do picks take to become impact players? Dahlin was what 3 years? Hughes was 3 years? McVoy 2 years, Sergachev 2 years, any number of 21 year olds?

You ignore the very players on this team time line's.

With a proper plan and half decent, because that is all this team has had under Benning, drafting 2 to 3 years is not that much time, more thn that has been wasted on ready made players that failed on this team.

Name two winning teams that did it without top draft picks on it? Who are the most important players on this team? Where did they come from? How many are there and where is the team in the standings?

Watching young players skate in circles, isn't that what has been happening the last 7 years here? Horvat, then Boeser, then Juloevi, then Pettersson before he came, Hughes before he came and then one year for each. All done by accident without a plan and ended up aging out Horvat, Boeser and soon Pettersson and Hughes.

Just WHO are they going to trade for these superior players? ALL THEIR DRAFT PICKS? And then miss out on an accidental Hughes or Pettersson in the draft?

There wasn't before and will not be now any type of instant gratification, it is a long term plan. The cap does restrict some trades, if the team has it then trades can happen, if it doesn't have space then "TRADES ARE SO HARD IT IS DOLLAR IN AND DOLLAR OUT" which as demonstrated now is crud!

If you want a real serious go at top pick, then you have to trade Petey, QH and Demko as they are too good to let the club sink to the bottom.

They are not going to hang around waiting for picks to become game changers...

• Cheers 2

8 minutes ago, combover said:

You have zero intelligent comments. You come here for laughs because you’re only capable of laughing and not having an IQ.

You help make everyone feel smarter