The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Red Wings trade Filip Hronek, 2023 4th-round pick to Canucks for conditional 2023 1st-round pick (NYI), 2023 2nd-round pick

41 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Because we've now found a serviceable RHD for the top 4.

If we have:

Hughes-???

???-Hronek

OEL-Bear

And we trade for a top 4 defensive LHD (Pettersson?), we have:

Hughes-???

Pettersson-Hronek

OEL-Bear

Too bad Schenn is gone.

he'll be back in the summer

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

I thought OEL-Bear was the best we saw out of OEL this season.  This opens up:

Hughes-Hronek

OEL-Bear

Still some serious work to do moving out Myers and finding a legit 3D who can play the PK.  Tall task.

If we only need to find a 3rd pairing Dman that can PK, then I think we can do that (e.g. Clifton, T Van Riemsdyk, Gudas, Soucy, Holl are all pending UFAs).

But I am not overly comfortable with OEL or Bear on the second pairing (fine if we are tanking/rebuilding) but apparently, we are not!

44 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I don't like losing high picks in a deep draft. 

I like landing a young, legit top 4 RHD.

I am conflicted, but willing to see how it plays out.

Don't like it either. At this point I am now rooting for the Islanders to win the cup

Just now, Locke Lamora said:

Well, this trade will ultimately be judged in terms of how good Hronek is. He better be damn good is all I can say or else this has the makings of yet another sad sack development of a largely sad sack hockey franchise. 

Now, off to watch some YouTube clips of Hronek in the hopes that it cheers me up.

I don't agree... this will be judged in terms of whether the team has any success with him in the lineup.  He could be amazing and if the roster is still skidding along the bottom of the standings next year it is a dumb move as it is just the wrong timing.

It is just like it not mattering how Miller is playing, or how well he did since we traded for him.  We have been terrible, so using up that high pick was just a bad idea unless you can (and do) get more from him being traded out.

1 hour ago, Odd. said:

Is Allvin drunk? I don’t know how to feel about this.

I think it’s a good trade? 

No, but I've had a coupla beers...

Care to know how I feel?

Ans: good man, real good:

As in, I like the trade, and am just learning about Filip Hronek RD 6' 190 .633 pts per game for Detroit 2022-23.

The prices, the conditional 2023 or 2024 1st from the Isles, our own 2023 2nd, and $4.4m AAV this year and next, seem to be good too, and we don't have to sit around wishin' and hopin' those picks turn into actual additions to the team.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rob A said:

wow...give up a first round pick and a second for a rental; what a bone head move!!!

I think you should research what qualifies as a rental lol. How is he a rental if we aren't making the playoffs? He has another year left on his contract too FYI so how is he a rental? They will be re-signing him most likley, lots of time. 

• Like 1
  • There it is 1

Just now, spook007 said:

he'll be back in the summer

I really hope so.  Would fill out our D core nicely.

I don't think it'll be difficult to find a legit defensive top 4 LHD for Hronek.

Pushing OEL and Bear into 3rd pairing duties likely means much more effective minutes from both of them.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Tinky-Winky said:

i feel this was a great trade but of coarse canuck fans always debby downers on most trades even if they good, flip has a good contract, is young and a defenceman , i feel this is a great move for now and the future

How do we afford to pay him in a year when his contract comes up? We have OEL and his 7.2 on the cap.