The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Nashville Predators at Vancouver Canucks | Mar. 06, 2023 | 7:30 pm PT | Sportsnet Pacific

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I mean that would be why people wanted to keep those picks and develop our own.

Making desperation trades because you failed to address the need sooner may turn out poorly too. And even if you like the player there’s an argument to be made that the deadline was not the place to do it.

I would be surprised if other RHD couldn’t be had with those pieces. We saw two traded last summer in Marino and a potential top 4 in Lundqvist (who has played top 4 at times) for less.

But hey if Hronek is a fit here and we can get him signed to a reasonable contract I’ll be more than happy with the price. The risk is higher than I would have liked to see us take personally though.

I get it and I feel the same way about the risk too. I just find the timing comments to be a little short on understanding the complexities of obtaining such a piece. Of course it would have been better to have all the cards in our favor and make a decision when it suited us. Rarely works out that way and waiting often means doing nothing and sees you miss out on what you wanted to do. 

• Cheers 2

28 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Based on their moves so far I’m fully expecting them to trade away our first if it’s in the 8-11 range.

This ownership is all about instant gratification. Same reason we traded our 9th overall pick.

They’re not waiting 4 or 5 years for that pick to pan out. They clearly think we’re already in our window. I really hope they’re right but it’s hard to not feel like it’s more of the same.

Well, we got the expensive parts that has mostly came through drafting.

We have a lot of complimentary players within the right age.

A few vets only so this team will grow together for up to ten years.

This is a real window.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

REFEREES

Steve Kozari #40
SK40.jpg?resize=120,120
Brandon Schrader #46
BS46.jpg?resize=120,120
Last Game 3/4 MIN/CGY 2/28 NYI/MIN
Games ’22-23 55 29
Games ’21-22 (Reg/PO) 75 / 14 47 / 0
Career Games (Reg/PO) 1140 / 123 105 / 0
First NHL Game 10/15/05 3/1/19
Birthplace Penticton, BC Sanborn, NY

LINESMEN

David Brisebois #96
DB96.jpg?resize=120,120
CJ Murray #68
2021_CM68.jpg?resize=120,120&ssl=1
Games ’22-23 57 56
Games ’21-22 (Reg/PO) 75 / 23 57 / 0
Career Games (Reg/PO) 1419 / 77 113 / 0
First NHL Game 10/11/00 10/14/21
Birthplace Sudbury, ON Pittsburgh, PA
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Devron said:

Bored Episode 15 GIF by The Simpsons

homer-simpson-bored-watching-tv.jpg

I was being a little facetious  ie.....I understand why JR/A jumped on the deal for Hronek now.  I admire the boldness and opportunism.  Not complaining. We haven't had this quality a RHD for a long time. Just lamenting though and laughing how it all follows natural Canuck Luck that because of getting him now, he will help us move down in the draft.

• Like 1
  • elephant 1

1 minute ago, kilgore said:

homer-simpson-bored-watching-tv.jpg

I was being a little facetious  ie.....I understand why JR/A jumped on the deal for Hronek now.  I admire the boldness and opportunism.  Not complaining. We haven't had this quality a RHD for a long time. Just lamenting though and laughing how it all follows natural Canuck Luck that because of getting him now, he will help us move down in the draft.

Yup fair enough. Guess I’ve just heard the story enough times. I’m hoping we hold our current draft position but it’s tough. The schedule looks relatively easy too

• Cheers 1

QH gettin' into some Chrissie Hynde..yest puttering 'round the house, singin'

Cos I, gonna make ya's see

There's NObody else here

Man the blueline like ME!

I'm special..(special)

Sooo special (special)

I gotta have more mass-attn

Give it to me!

GCG & back to a lil' tankin, eh?!

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

JT seems like a weight has been lifted since the Bo trade. I don't necessarily think they're related, but he just seems like a completely different player.

Back to the player CDC fell in love with

Gotta say, more games like the Toronto one and I'm gonna be right alongside Deb in voting him for Captain until Petey is ready.

Edited by Lewlowned
  • Cheers 1

30 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I get it and I feel the same way about the risk too. I just find the timing comments to be a little short on understanding the complexities of obtaining such a piece. Of course it would have been better to have all the cards in our favor and make a decision when it suited us. Rarely works out that way and waiting often means doing nothing and sees you miss out on what you wanted to do. 

I don’t doubt the complexity and I know there’s lots of stuff behind the scenes we don’t know.

The risk is still the risk though. Are we in a position to push our “chips” in right now? That’s the ultimate question. If it turns out we weren’t as close as we thought again then we just paid a high price for a player that’s gonna be looking for big money very soon.

I felt like for the first time in a long time fans actually were willing to be more patient and wait it out.

You have to understand why people are so worried though. Like we made so many timeline shortening moves like this under Benning that people praised at the time. And sure it’s not fair to this management to think they’ll do the same thing. But I have yet to see a move where we sell the future for now really pan out. Seems like it has only created a worse cap situation and less help in the form of top prospects coming in the future.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2

Just now, DeNiro said:

I don’t doubt the complexity and I know there’s lots of stuff behind the scenes we don’t know.

The risk is still the risk though. Are we in a position to push our “chips” in right now? That’s the ultimate question. If it turns out we weren’t as close as we thought again then we just paid a high price for a player that’s gonna be looking for big money very soon.

I felt like for the first time in a long time fans actually were willing to be more patient and wait it out. You have understand why people are so worried though. Like we made so many timeline shortening moves like this under Benning that people praised at the time. And sure it’s not fair to this management to think they’ll do the same thing. But I have yet to see a move where we sell the future for now really pan out. Seems like it has only created a worse cap situation and less help in the form of top prospects coming in the future.

Hopefully we win Bedard. 

46 minutes ago, BCNate said:

Detroit is 10 points ahead of us with 20 games left, I really can't see us catching them.  I think the highest that we can climb would be to the 9 spot before the lottery.

Thanks for the dose of reality some people need around here. Just look at the goddam standings and you'll see there's no way we're drafting as high as the Animal Farm sheep say...

4 hours ago, Plaguez said:

Right, I forgot we traded for him while he was injured.  I was wondering why he wasn't playing.

Let's try not to get out tanked by the Preds this game team. We needed to beat the Leafs, that was fun but time to get back to tank time.  Would like to see a hard played, close loss please.

If the Preds start playing their physical game, we will get destroyed and it won't even be close. That's where our team lacks is size and compared to them, we're almost laughable.

Let's hope we don't wake them up like we did with Boston back in the day. 

IF we do, it's going to be hard to watch the carnage... 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Hopefully we win Bedard. 

That’s the game changer.

Fantilli and Carlsson as well. I feel like that would give us a much longer runway to challenge for a cup.

Just look at what the Hischier/Hughes combo has done for New Jersey. The combo of Petey/Bedard would catapult us right back into legitimacy.

Petey/Miller will work well for a few years but will we challenge in that time? And then what happens after that if we have no top young centers coming up?

I believe in the fast retool if they’re willing to bottom this thing out. If they keep playing the roster the way they have been we’re gonna have one of worst seasons in franchise history for nothing.