The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Aidan McDonough to two year contract

Odd.

44 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

Canucks can save money by buying out Myers after hie gets his signing bonus paid out.  Ferland FINALLY comes off.  Pearson has one more year but could be put on waivers.  A $1.75 mill cap hit is a lot more digestible for a team looking to make a run.  He’s not too old (31) to help a team. The cap goes up a couple million at least.  But even with all that money getting freed up I still wonder if it will be enough to get Petey signed. 

I think with Myers playing way better, one year left, bonus paid will be very tradeable in the off season. If even for the most infamous "future considerations"

22 hours ago, Citizen Erased said:

Yeah. It’s weird though because Dries has managed to score 10 goals himself in just over a half season. Maybe he’s just not a good set up man. He seems to have potential to score 20 goals a season though. Not bad for a bottom 6 forward.

Hes always been a 'more goals than assists' player.  Best Colorado Eagles season was 21 goals with 14 assists,  and last season in Abby he had 35 goals and 27 assists

18 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Karlsson is not a very good skater.  He has a limited shot at making the big club.  Hoglander most likely gets traded for help on defence or to get some more sandpaper in the bottom 6.  Podkolzin will be a stud, top 6 potential.  The other guy I like is Klimovich.  Big body and a good skater.  He can be a 3rd line winger and has a shot at a top 6 role.

Don't know how much of Abby you've watched this season, but his skating is just fine.   Like your namesake, he has that extra gear when necessary.  I've seen him chase down a few icings,  and you have to know it's not a drawback when Colliton has him on the top line, 1st unit Powerplay and second unit penalty kill

I'm also impressed how physical he is. Big body at 6'2" and playing at 190 lbs (yes, I know he's listed at 6'1" and 178) ... he's NHL ready

(Ok obviously I'm biased - he is my avatar after all)

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, rekker said:

I think with Myers playing way better, one year left, bonus paid will be very tradeable in the off season. If even for the most infamous "future considerations"

Why not wait and actually get something for him at the deadline?

• Cheers 2

Don't compare this kid to Gaudette and Madden; offensively skilled players geared to play in the top 6.

They can't make the NHL because their offence isn't good enough for top 6 and they don't have what

it takes to play on the bottom 6.

McDon has a more complete game and seems to have a competitive nature that could land him into

a bottom 6 situation at some point.  Be sure, if this kid can end up on the Canucks 3rd or 4th line, we

should be very happy.  With his skills, he would likely make a difference on whichever line he plays on.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Don't know how much of Abby you've watched this season, but his skating is just fine.   Like your namesake, he has that extra gear when necessary.  I've seen him chase down a few icings,  and you have to know it's not a drawback when Colliton has him on the top line, 1st unit Powerplay and second unit penalty kill

I'm also impressed how physical he is. Big body at 6'2" and playing at 190 lbs (yes, I know he's listed at 6'1" and 178) ... he's NHL ready

(Ok obviously I'm biased - he is my avatar after all)

Yeah I think you are quite biased really. But then when it comes to Petey so am I.  I mean I rank Petey ahead of McDavid so I’m probably not a neutral party when it comes to the evaluating Petey’s  play…   :)

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Yeah I think you are quite biased really. But then when it comes to Petey so am I.  I mean I rank Petey ahead of McDavid so I’m probably not a neutral party when it comes to the evaluating Petey’s  play…   :)

Petey is by far my favorite player but ranking ahead of McDavid is simply ludicrous

Great glad he signed.

all the reports I’ve read are he’s a solid smart player but his speed is terrible and he needs to increase his foot speed to ever be effective in the nhl. 
I could see him in the AHL next year try to develop his skating more. 

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Like I said I’m not very objective on that. But if you’d like I can send you my 300 page thesis on why I think Petey is better than McDavid.  <_<

It's all good man just thought it was funny

• Huggy Bear 1

1 minute ago, Bell said:

Petey is by far my favorite player but ranking ahead of McDavid is simply ludicrous

While on it's surface it seems ridiculous, I could see a day where Petey at his peak leads the Canucks to the Stanley Cup, while McDavid never does. At that point I would listen to arguments that Petey is a better overall player if the end goal is winning a championship. A fellow can dream :)

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, flat land fish said:

From a recent comparable standpoint how would he compare to Jonah Gadjovich

More complete in the hands and the ability to think the game. 

Skating is not NHL level yet. 

Need to see if that can be fixed. 

• Cheers 2