The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Aidan McDonough to two year contract

Odd.

1 hour ago, Junkyard Dog said:

You see a guy like Karlsson who's 6'1" 180lbs but plays a lot bigger than his size, excels below the hash marks, isn't afraid to mix it up between whistles as evident from his coaches remarks/penalty minutes and uses his smarts to be an effective player. Who as a rookie is leading our AHL team in goal scoring.  

Yup. It’s good to have several guys competing for jobs on the big club. The key core players (Demko, Petey, Hughes, Miller, Hronek) have their spots and we are trying to retool the supporting cast. All those younger guys are competing for those spots and trying to push out the players (in those spots right now) on the big club. It’s super important for our club to have this internal competition. The younger players need to learn this is not junior or college. This is the NHL, jobs are worth a lot of money, and even your teammates aren’t necessarily your best friends off the ice. 

On 3/16/2023 at 1:11 PM, HomeBrew said:

Then I would suggest that you weren't really paying attention when it happened tbf. 

In fairness CDC lost their collective shit losing Corrado, MacEwen and Gadjovich respectively and even if you combined their stats since they left they wouldn't even muster up a well below mediocre career. So I don't think CDC is an accurate judgement of player movement to be fair. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Karlsson looks way bigger then 6'1 

All the listings are way off IMO. I feel like websites get the measurements from a few years ago and then just rehash them year after year. 

Canucks AHL/NHL listing of Karlsson and McDonough are different than Elite Prospects and are probably up to date.

They have Karlsson at 6'1" 178lbs whereas Elite Prospects have him at 1 lbs heavier. Canucks have McDonough at 6'3" 190 whereas Elite Prospects have him at 6'2" 201 lbs.

I think Karlsson has a long reach for his size which would make him look bigger. He also plays bigger. 

2 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Canucks AHL/NHL listing of Karlsson and McDonough are different than Elite Prospects and are probably up to date.

They have Karlsson at 6'1" 178lbs whereas Elite Prospects have him at 1 lbs heavier. Canucks have McDonough at 6'3" 190 whereas Elite Prospects have him at 6'2" 201 lbs.

I think Karlsson has a long reach for his size which would make him look bigger. He also plays bigger. 

Rathbone recently said that he thought McDonough has grown and is probably 6'3" or 6'4" now. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

In fairness CDC lost their collective shit losing Corrado, MacEwen and Gadjovich respectively and even if you combined their stats since they left they wouldn't even muster up a well below mediocre career. So I don't think CDC is an accurate judgement of player movement to be fair. 

I'm definitely one of those that lost my shit when we put Corrado on waivers...

To be fair to Frankie though, Toronto definitely didn't help his development by keeping him benched for over a month.

Edit: I will also never forgive the defensive disaster that is Ryan Murphy getting named to the WJC over Corrado 

Edited by Diamonds
  • Cheers 1

47 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Rathbone recently said that he thought McDonough has grown and is probably 6'3" or 6'4" now. 

Perhaps that was from 6’2” to 6’3”. He was listed at 6’2” prior to Canucks measurements of him which looks like were made recently. 

Edited by Junkyard Dog
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

This was more about a team that wasn't a contender losing assets for no return. Losing 2 players during training camp isn't great regardless of those players careers. It's a bit of a meme now but there is truth that benning's assest management was terrible.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Hinkil42 said:

This was more about a team that wasn't a contender losing assets for no return. Losing 2 players during training camp isn't great regardless of those players careers. It's a bit of a meme now but there is truth that benning's assest management was terrible.

Yeah except they’re worthless assets that would only return worthless assets. So losing them for nothing was able to free up a contract spot for other players that could be something. 

• Like 1

On 3/21/2023 at 2:14 PM, Junkyard Dog said:

Tale of the tape once had Bieksa at 6'3" 225lbs lol...I'm not even sure he is six feet tall.   Vernon was listed at 5'9 ... he's 5'7" (admitted it once his career was over).    These guys don't look so big even on skates, once you go see them live.   Demko yes he's a big tall boy.   Who cares anyways, Taylor Pyatt versus Wendel Clark?   Who you going to take.   Chris Chelios  or Bryan Allen?  If they can play, then can play. 

Edited by IBatch

50 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

why is CDC going nuts over a fringe 4th liner who likely isnt even a longterm nhler on a contending team, again?

Aquaman marketing and media team has some of you wrapped around their fingers.  

Surely your ability to see the future could be better utilized in ways that aren’t complaining about made up scenarios on a hockey forum, right ?

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

On 3/21/2023 at 10:56 AM, canuck73_3 said:

Whether or not a prospect amounts to anything in the end is irrelevant to people caring about losing them - which was the point being made. Nobody is claiming that CDC is collectively accurate when it comes to anything other than sentiment. 

On 3/28/2023 at 11:56 AM, EddieVedder said:

why is CDC going nuts over a fringe 4th liner who likely isnt even a longterm nhler on a contending team, again?

Aquaman marketing and media team has some of you wrapped around their fingers.  

Because if you take 15 swings like this, you eventually find a Burrows, Bieksa, or Tanev 

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

Because if you take 15 swings like this, you eventually find a Burrows, Bieksa, or Tanev 

Bieksa was drafted... Burrows, Stetcher or Tavev. The logic is correct though. You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

• Like 1