The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Trade down at draft

Rate this topic

tan

as of today, we will draft No. 10 this year.

if we trade down to Blues two later draft pick

I am thinking these 2 Defencemen

26. Lukas Dragicevic, D, Tri-City Americans (WHL): A true rink rat whose offensive instincts are amongst the best-in-class. Skating is the concern amongst scouts.

good size/local kid

Lukas Dragicevic

Defense -- shoots R
Born Apr 25 2005 -- Richmond, BC
[17 yrs. ago]
Height 6.02 -- Weight 181 [188 cm/82 kg]

Regular Season Playoffs
Season Team Lge GP G A Pts PIM +/- GP G A Pts PIM
2020-21 Tri-City Americans WHL 6 0 0 0 4 -5          
2021-22 Tri-City Americans WHL 62 6 26 32 50 -24 -- -- -- -- --
2022-23 Tri-City Americans WHL 68 15 60 75 54 -2  

30. Oliver Bonk, D, London Knights (OHL): NHL bloodlines, right shot, good size, Bonk checks a lot of boxes. Will the offence translate to the next level, or is it an element that develops after some time in the pros?

good size/Canadian boy

Oliver Bonk

Defense -- shoots R
Born Jan 9 2005 -- Ottawa, ONT
[18 yrs. ago]
Height 6.02 -- Weight 179 [188 cm/81 kg]

Regular Season Playoffs
Season Team Lge GP G A Pts PIM +/- GP G A Pts PIM
2021-22 London Knights OHL 10 0 3 3 6 6 7 1 0 1 2
2022-23 London Knights OHL 67 10 30 40 38 17  
Edited by tan
  • Cheers 3

22 minutes ago, tan said:

26. Lukas Dragicevic, D, Tri-City Americans (WHL): A true rink rat whose offensive instincts are amongst the best-in-class. Skating is the concern amongst scouts.

30. Oliver Bonk, D, London Knights (OHL): NHL bloodlines, right shot, good size, Bonk checks a lot of boxes. Will the offence translate to the next level, or is it an element that develops after some time in the pros?

I agree - I like both of these guys. You can never have too many RHD. That said I would take Honzek if he was available. 6'3 Centre, 56 points in 43 games for the Giants. 

I wonder what the cost would be? Our 1st (10th) straight up for Toronto's 1st (27th) and New York's 1st (28th)?

Edited by canucklehead44

On 3/23/2023 at 9:39 PM, Baggins said:

You be lucky to get a Hronek with either pick and you'd have the waiting game to find out. Allvin negated the question mark and obtained the real deal. 

Only on CDC do we complain about the lack of a good rhd in the system, and then when we get it, we complain about, what we could have potentially had instead :rolleyes:

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, spook007 said:

Only on CDC do we complain about the lack of a good rhd in the system, and then when we get it, we complain about, what we could have potentially had instead :rolleyes:

But magic beans! We traded magic beans!!! :lol:

You have to trade something to get something. You won't get what you want without trading what they want.

• There it is 1

7 hours ago, tan said:

This would be my preference but I wonder if St Louis have a player in mind. I think we're going to go on fire and end up with a 12-13th overall pick. Unless they have a player in that region that they really want, they'd be stupid to pass up on a chance to draft two decent defencemen.

It really depends on the day how it shakes down. If Simashev or Reinbacher is still available with our pick, do you take him or roll the dice and go for two lesser defencemen? It's a bit of a gamble either way. 

I'd almost be leaning towards Reinbacher because of his size, he's playing with men and might be NHL-ready sooner than these other guys. He might be able to jump into the AHL and maybe play meaningful NHL minutes as a 20 year old in a couple of seasons which fits our timeline more. Otherwise I worry that these CHL players might need ages and slowly work their way in (ala Rathbone).

7 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

This would be my preference but I wonder if St Louis have a player in mind. I think we're going to go on fire and end up with a 12-13th overall pick. Unless they have a player in that region that they really want, they'd be stupid to pass up on a chance to draft two decent defencemen.

It really depends on the day how it shakes down. If Simashev or Reinbacher is still available with our pick, do you take him or roll the dice and go for two lesser defencemen? It's a bit of a gamble either way. 

I'd almost be leaning towards Reinbacher because of his size, he's playing with men and might be NHL-ready sooner than these other guys. He might be able to jump into the AHL and maybe play meaningful NHL minutes as a 20 year old in a couple of seasons which fits our timeline more. Otherwise I worry that these CHL players might need ages and slowly work their way in (ala Rathbone).

Like Reinbacher. I doubt he will be available at 11-12th...

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting proposal to trade down. Definitely always a debate for any team when you're just outside the top 5. Thanks for sharing the options for later in the first round. Looks like you're right. Still some real gems there later on.

With that being said, I personally would still rather see the Canucks keep their spot in that 7-10 range and get more of a truly high end forward vs 2 maybes. I'm eyeing one of Benson (least likely with where Canucks will be), Smith, or Yager. Maybe Dvorsky. With all of the recent signings on D, I really hope the Canucks pick a forward with their first pick (and hopefully not an off-the-board wildcard...). Either way, the organizational depth will look a heck of a lot better going into next season which will be nice.

I'm still of the opinion that JR should have stuck to his guns and threatened  resignation if he couldn't perform the Major Surgery that even he himself finally admitted (after seeing enough) - needed to be performed on this club.   Now that word is coming out that Pittrsburg  offered us AT LEAST two (2) first Round Draft Picks and likely much more for JTM and if we hadn't thrown away our other 1st & 2nd round picks on that (Unserviceable) damaged Detroit kid (HornWreck) we could have had 7 draft picks in the first two rounds in this years and next years draft - and that doesn't include any other picks they could have acquired with other trades going forward or the other dozen or so picks in the other rounds in this years generational draft pick year and next.

This could have resulted in a considerably huge jumpstart in a rebuild - without even getting rid of EP40, QH, Kuz or Demko, who in my opinion are the 4 best players on this team and the only 4 that should be retained.  Everyone else are tradable and expendable can easily be replaced  in a few years of rebuilding when we have a cupboard full of high picks/prospect and low salaries.     .....and, if any of those 4 didn't want to stick around during a rebuild they would have fetched even further extremely high returns in terms of picks and prospects.    

This would have been the ideal time to do it, as all the stars had aligned well for us for a rebuild.   Instead, Aqua-Lini obviously & clearly has stepped in (again) and told JR to retool instead of performing "major Surgery" (rebuilding), in fear that he'd lose warm butts in the seats for awhile, as he is known to be very impatient and possesses acute short term thinking issues - like all leaky condo developers have and here are we are today, out of the playoffs again, stuck with essentially the same rotten core of incompatible players that have failed every year so far - minus Bo Horvat. 

Furthermore, we can see after the usual new coaches bump we saw up until 2 weeks ago - after the Tock-It arrival, that this team has slumped right back to their usual low effort, dis-jointed, soft, mediocre style of play and Tock-It can't do anything about it because he's just figuring out what we all know after watching this rag-tag crew for years, that this core is mentally and physically soft (as he himself has said a few occasions) and has "Rot" entrenched in it's culture which why this team has been criticized and is well known all over the league as being a "country club" style franchise for the last many years.

So don't hold your breath, unless JR can overcome the "Aqua-Lini effect" and sticks to his guns and guts this team much, much further because this current group will NEVER (repeat for the naïve.... NEVER) Win a Stanley Cup for us.

• Haha 1

The constraint is the age of Hughes/EP/Demko. If we get a pick that needs 3+ years to graduate to the NHL then others are getting long in the tooth. I truly believe that the future depends on our assement of possible pick, possible trades. Can you bet your house on either the Pro or Amateur scouts to give you iron clad information. Which ever way you go there is a gamble aspect to your choice. The thing about the draft is you get a 18 year old who may have already hit his peak, and of course some never do make it to the NHL,the trade you know who what you're getting. Remember Kravtsov was taken 9th O/A by the Rangers, how did that work out. We picked Juolevi higher than that how did that work out.

Draft picks do not = success

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fred65 said:

The constraint is the age of Hughes/EP/Demko. If we get a pick that needs 3+ years to graduate to the NHL then others are getting long in the tooth. I truly believe that the future depends on our assement of possible pick, possible trades. Can you bet your house on either the Pro or Amateur scouts to give you iron clad information. Which ever way you go there is a gamble aspect to your choice. The thing about the draft is you get a 18 year old who may have already hit his peak, and of course some never do make it to the NHL,the trade you know who what you're getting. Remember Kravtsov was taken 9th O/A by the Rangers, how did that work out. We picked Juolevi higher than that how did that work out.

Draft picks do not = success

The only thing I have to say here is our drafting deparment sucks bad in the last 2 decades. 

8 hours ago, RU SERIOUS said:

I'm still of the opinion that JR should have stuck to his guns and threatened  resignation if he couldn't perform the Major Surgery that even he himself finally admitted (after seeing enough) - needed to be performed on this club.   Now that word is coming out that Pittrsburg  offered us AT LEAST two (2) first Round Draft Picks and likely much more for JTM and if we hadn't thrown away our other 1st & 2nd round picks on that (Unserviceable) damaged Detroit kid (HornWreck) we could have had 7 draft picks in the first two rounds in this years and next years draft - and that doesn't include any other picks they could have acquired with other trades going forward or the other dozen or so picks in the other rounds in this years generational draft pick year and next.

This could have resulted in a considerably huge jumpstart in a rebuild - without even getting rid of EP40, QH, Kuz or Demko, who in my opinion are the 4 best players on this team and the only 4 that should be retained.  Everyone else are tradable and expendable can easily be replaced  in a few years of rebuilding when we have a cupboard full of high picks/prospect and low salaries.     .....and, if any of those 4 didn't want to stick around during a rebuild they would have fetched even further extremely high returns in terms of picks and prospects.    

This would have been the ideal time to do it, as all the stars had aligned well for us for a rebuild.   Instead, Aqua-Lini obviously & clearly has stepped in (again) and told JR to retool instead of performing "major Surgery" (rebuilding), in fear that he'd lose warm butts in the seats for awhile, as he is known to be very impatient and possesses acute short term thinking issues - like all leaky condo developers have and here are we are today, out of the playoffs again, stuck with essentially the same rotten core of incompatible players that have failed every year so far - minus Bo Horvat. 

Furthermore, we can see after the usual new coaches bump we saw up until 2 weeks ago - after the Tock-It arrival, that this team has slumped right back to their usual low effort, dis-jointed, soft, mediocre style of play and Tock-It can't do anything about it because he's just figuring out what we all know after watching this rag-tag crew for years, that this core is mentally and physically soft (as he himself has said a few occasions) and has "Rot" entrenched in it's culture which why this team has been criticized and is well known all over the league as being a "country club" style franchise for the last many years.

So don't hold your breath, unless JR can overcome the "Aqua-Lini effect" and sticks to his guns and guts this team much, much further because this current group will NEVER (repeat for the naïve.... NEVER) Win a Stanley Cup for us.

You conveniently didn’t ad the part about Canucks needing a center as well, Pittsburgh pulled the plug on the deal as They need to move out cap to bring Miller in. 

On 3/27/2023 at 11:56 PM, Baggins said:

But magic beans! We traded magic beans!!! :lol:

You have to trade something to get something. You won't get what you want without trading what they want.

It's a delicate balancing act.  Sure we all want to accumulate tons of picks but there's also the question of two very special players ALREADY on the team (EP & Hughes).  They're not likely to want to stick around forever.  A guy like Hronek is already NHL ready & not old as dirt.

• Thanks 1

On 3/16/2023 at 6:11 PM, Ghostsof1915 said:

If we draft top ten and Reinbacher is still on the board, I'd say you're nuts to pass him up.

Agreed, we need to start drafting D more often in the top 3 rounds bare minimum imagine if we draft defense with half our 2nds traded away..

On 3/16/2023 at 4:30 PM, tan said:

If we have a top 10 pick without lottery luck, I don't mind trade to Blues for two later first rounders. 

still a lot of gems there!

We may have no choice but to Trade Down because we are already headed into serious problems for next year, being over the Cap and one way out of that pickle is to throw away out last remaining early round pick in some sort of "Hail-Mary" type "sink-or-Swim" deal to get us out of Cap Hell that JR and our inexperienced Rookie GM PA have gotten us into - unless they "Pull a Rabbit out of the Hat".   No matter, it will be pretty interesting to see how they get out of this one!  I can't wait........!