The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at St. Louis Blues | Mar. 28, 2023

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

16 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Wetcoaster, for those who remember. 

That guy was an arrogant asshat, and before anyone puts up a counter for him, no he wasn't always right, nor was he 'mostly right'. The guy just denies and deflects.

Edited by Dazzle

Hughes is 2nd for points among dmen with 72 pts in 70 games.

If Hughes gets like 10 points in the next 8 games and Karlsson ends the year off slow, Hughes could have a real good chance at the Norris. Josi had 96 or 98 points and lost it to Makar with 86 points so it’s not all about points. 

I know the Sharks suck ass but Karlsson’s defensive stats are literally the worst on the team and in the league. How can a 32nd place team have a Norris winning defenseman

28 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

That guy was an arrogant asshat, and before anyone puts up a counter for him, no he wasn't always right, nor was he 'mostly right'. The guy just denies and deflects.

You either got him or you didn’t. 

1 hour ago, Sepultura said:

I can feel a losing streak coming!!  Lose you mediocre bums!! Lose!! This is a great draft and it would be a shame to pick 11th or twelfth!! Time to call up our ECHL back up!! Sit Hughes and Kuzmenko there killing us!! 

ass-jim-carrey.gif

29 minutes ago, Odd. said:

If Hughes gets like 10 points in the next 8 games and Karlsson ends the year off slow, Hughes could have a real good chance at the Norris. Josi had 96 or 98 points and lost it to Makar with 86 points so it’s not all about points. 

I know the Sharks suck ass but Karlsson’s defensive stats are literally the worst on the team and in the league. How can a 32nd place team have a Norris winning defenseman

Are we talking Norris win or Norris nomination?

At this point I wouldn't be all the surprised if he wasn't nominated.  Here's hoping!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Moe Knows said:

Karlsson's too far ahead. 18 more points- 15 more goals and 3 more assists playing for a crappier team. His +/- sucks but Goals/points are what voters look at (don't agree but it's reality) I think Quinn has a real  shot at second though.

They also consider the team they are on, San Jose is a total tire fire.   Leading man Couture... has how many goals?   Lidstrom was gifted his last Norris as a minus player, on a much better team.    He's having a year for the ages ... pretty sure he wins.   69 Even strength points versus 39.     QHs likely is the runner up, but would be a pleasant surprise if he won.   Hamilton likely the other finalist.    -27 versus -16 to -11.   That's quite the range for their D's.     Hertl is like a minis 30 lol.   Actually half their top six is.    Pretty clear they get scored on a lot less when EKs line is on the ice.    QHs is super impressive too, considering we aren't a playoff team, not so terrible either kind of no man's land before the real suck starts. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1

Yikes, Demko and Myers back to average, Petey, Hughes, Miller with monster games, another game where Garland looks great but produces zero points and Boeser outscores him easily with a 3 point game, and Hronek looked a mess playing with Brisebois.

Hughes and Myers were pretty solid as was Joshua on the top line but Hronek was a minus 3. I know he's playing with an AHLer but that's two average/bad games in a row that no one will want to talk about. He's got to be a lot better.

Bad game, our super new defence got exposed by a trash offence.

6 minutes ago, IBatch said:

They also consider the team they are on, San Jose is a total tire fire.   Leading man Couture... has how many goals?   Lidstrom was gifted his last Norris as a minus player, on a much better team.    He's having a year for the ages ... pretty sure he wins. 

Karlsson will win by a landslide, he has 69 even strength points.. that's almost double hughes..

i honestly don't even think Hughes will be a finalist.. he needs to be like karlsson heads and shoulder above others offensively to even have a chance to be a finalist imo.. others are putting up similar clips but are far more impressive defensively compared to hughes. Morrissey hamilton dahlin they are doing it at both ends of the rink while putting up the points. everyone is like double hughes in block shots/hits combined and some of them are putting up higher pts/60 than hughes is. sergarhev is even more impressive.. he's putting up good numbers but damn the amount of hits and block shot is impressive. he more than triple Hughes.

while Hughes defensive play this season is solid but he doesn't stand out defensively like some of the other guys on the list. and not really the go to guy for tough defensive situation.

• Cheers 1

51 minutes ago, IBatch said:

They also consider the team they are on, San Jose is a total tire fire.   Leading man Couture... has how many goals?   Lidstrom was gifted his last Norris as a minus player, on a much better team.    He's having a year for the ages ... pretty sure he wins.   69 Even strength points versus 39.     QHs likely is the runner up, but would be a pleasant surprise if he won.   Hamilton likely the other finalist.    -27 versus -16 to -11.   That's quite the range for their D's.     Hertl is like a minis 30 lol.   Actually half their top six is.    Pretty clear they get scored on a lot less when EKs line is on the ice.    QHs is super impressive too, considering we aren't a player team, not so terrible either kind of no man's land before the real suck starts. 

Maybe if Karlsson gave at least a minimal effort on the defensive side they'd be a better team.  That's the other side. He'd get less points but their team might not suck as bad. Quinn on the other hand leads his team in plus/minus on a bad team as well.  When you have Studnika on your team you're a bad team. 

Edited by Pure961089

2 hours ago, Odd. said:

In the 69-year history of the Norris trophy, only 6 defencemen have ever won it who were a minus player.  The last Dman to win it with a minus was Nick Lidstrom with a -2 in 2011.  Before that was Rob Blake with a -3 in 1998.  Before that was Rod Langway with a -2 in 1983.  Before that was Randy Carlyle with a -16 in 1981.  Randy Carlyle's -16 was by far the worst +/- of any Dman who has ever won the Norris trophy.

Fun fact.  Bobby Orr was a +124 when he won it in 1971.  Larry Robinson was a +120 when he won it in 1977.  

Unless Erik Karlsson is like 15-20 points up on the next guy, I don't think he wins it.  To be honest, I am not sure how Randy Carlyle won it in 1981.  He beat out Denis Potvin, Larry Robinson and Ray Bourque.  Denis Potvin was robbed really.  He only had 7 less points than Carlyle, but was a +39 and his team just came off of a Stanley Cup victory the year prior and were the favourites again in 1981.  Crazy...

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 2

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

In the 69-year history of the Norris trophy, only 6 defencemen have ever won it who were a minus player.  The last Dman to win it with a minus was Nick Lidstrom with a -2 in 2011.  Before that was Rob Blake with a -3 in 1998.  Before that was Rod Langway with a -2 in 1983.  Before that was Randy Carlyle with a -16 in 1981.  Randy Carlyle's -16 was by far the worst +/- of any Dman who has ever won the Norris trophy.

Fun fact.  Bobby Orr was a +124 when he won it in 1971.  Larry Robinson was a +120 when he won it in 1977.  

Unless Erik Karlsson is like 15-20 up on the next guy, I don't think he wins it.  To be honest, I am not sure how Randy Carlyle won it in 1981.  He beat out Denis Potvin, Larry Robinson and Ray Bourque.  Denis Potvin was robbed really.  He only had 7 less points than Carlyle, but was a +39 and his team just came off of a Stanley Cup victory the year prior and were the favourites again in 1981.  Crazy...

So glad Carlyle won that yr..Potvin was a complete MONSTER on the ice, but we'd later discover an absolute-ar*ehole in the commentating category!

• Huggy Bear 1

4 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Hoping they can get an extension done with Burroughs.

I honestly don't know what Allvin is smoking.  His agent should be looking for at least a 2 x 2 for Burroughs and the Canucks should be jumping on it. He is a bargain now at 750,000.  He may be a fighter, and hit beast, but he also has soft hands with the puck. He doesn't panic, no chaos. I find it difficult in any game to see him make any glaring mistake. I just think he's a solid hard working tough defender who sees the ice very well. Isn't that all you want for a 3rd pairing D?

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2