The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Calgary Flames at Vancouver Canucks | Apr. 08, 2023

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

42 minutes ago, AngryElf said:

I’m so glad I staked out my spot at the blue carpet, I got 21 (!!!) signatures on my Bo skate jersey, including Babych, McLean and Rota! 

It was such a cool experience seeing everyone in suits and plain clothes and just have a conversation with them. I congratulated Breezer on his contract and he was noticeably touched, clearly it meant a lot after his long path to the pros. I feel really awful for Pearson, the guy has a huge brace on his left hand and answered “we’ll see” when I asked if he would be able to play next year. Mikheyev’s handler kept trying to push him to leave at the end and he just wouldn’t stop signing autographs xD The security supervisor just started laughing while he held the door open for him for a solid 4-5 minutes. 

All in all I got: 

Aman, Wolanin, Mikheyev, Brisebois, Garland, Studnicka, Kuzmenko, OEL, Myers, Miller, Hughes, Dries, Podz, Hronek, Pearson, Boeser, Hirose and Delia for current guys, then Babych, McLean and Rota for alumni. 

90A47C6A-CFF7-4CEF-88BB-0A422CE53ABC.jpeg

Too bad you didn’t get Horvat’s signature though 

:bigblush:

• Haha 1

Here are some alternating "good and bad" comments about tonight's game. .

1. Good: Demmer played great again. He is back.

2. Bad: The team had to rely too much on Demmer. Aside from Demmer, the Canucks were outplayed.

3. Good: The new D's (Hirose and McWard) continue to impress. Nice to see McWard's goal and Hirose is cool under pressure

4. Bad: the veteran D's (Myers and Bear) were not good. At least that is how I saw it and the underlying analytics agree.

5, Good: Nice to get a win for the fans in the last home game of the season against a pretty good team still in the playoff race.

6.Bad: The win means losing ground in the draft. Washington "passed" us tonight and a couple more teams could pass us in the final week. 

7. Good: Petey is closing in on 100 pts (one more to go). Very consistent. Always excellent at both ends of the ice. And Miller was good again. He has turned his game around since Tocchet was hired.

8. Bad: The situation between Kuzy and Tocchet is beginning to worry me. .

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, AngryElf said:

I’m so glad I staked out my spot at the blue carpet, I got 21 (!!!) signatures on my Bo skate jersey, including Babych, McLean and Rota! 

It was such a cool experience seeing everyone in suits and plain clothes and just have a conversation with them. I congratulated Breezer on his contract and he was noticeably touched, clearly it meant a lot after his long path to the pros. I feel really awful for Pearson, the guy has a huge brace on his left hand and answered “we’ll see” when I asked if he would be able to play next year. Mikheyev’s handler kept trying to push him to leave at the end and he just wouldn’t stop signing autographs xD The security supervisor just started laughing while he held the door open for him for a solid 4-5 minutes. 

All in all I got: 

Aman, Wolanin, Mikheyev, Brisebois, Garland, Studnicka, Kuzmenko, OEL, Myers, Miller, Hughes, Dries, Podz, Hronek, Pearson, Boeser, Hirose and Delia for current guys, then Babych, McLean and Rota for alumni. 

90A47C6A-CFF7-4CEF-88BB-0A422CE53ABC.jpeg

Congrats on being so patient and getting all those signatures but I have to ask:    Won't getting O.E.L.'s signature on there bring down the value on your autographed jersey if you ever sell it?

• RoughGame 2

5 hours ago, Jaimito said:

For a failed tank game, was exciting 

At least fans at the arena had fun.

It was a great effort and extra satisfying putting a dent in Calgary's playoff hopes even thought it hurts our tank-plans.     It will now take a miracle for them to get in the post-season.  I hope they miss by this one point - they left on the table for us.  That would be the cherry on the cake and payback for what they did to us a few years ago!

• Vintage 2

47 minutes ago, JamesB said:

2. Bad: The team had to rely too much on Demmer. Aside from Demmer, the Canucks were outplayed.

3. Good: The new D's (Hirose and McWard) continue to impress. Nice to see McWard's goal and Hirose is cool under pressure

4. Bad: the veteran D's (Myers and Bear) were not good. At least that is how I saw it and the underlying analytics agree.

5, Good: Nice to get a win for the fans in the last home game of the season against a pretty good team still in the playoff race.

6.Bad: The win means losing ground in the draft. Washington "passed" us tonight and a couple more teams could pass us in the final week. 

7. Good: Petey is closing in on 100 pts (one more to go). Very consistent. Always excellent at both ends of the ice. And Miller was good again. He has turned his game around since Tocchet was hired.

Agree with all and especially point 4b regarding Bear.   He's had several bad games in a row and is consistently getting knocked off the puck, making very bad passes and exibiting very poor decision making.  I'm still puzzled why there is talk about him getting a big raise and contract extension.   He looks easily replaceable and I would rank his performance this season as a "C- " and see no justification whatsoever for any big raise and no more than a one year 2 way contract, if they still feel there's a slot for him somewhere in the organization.   

He is average at best and should not be considered a cornerstone in the rebuilding of our defense but a supporting cast member on the 3rd pairing (at best) or a spare 7th D.

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, JamesB said:

As always on point...

McWard certainly finding his feet now. The goal aside he looked far more engaged and not so overawed as in the last game. Hirose looks like a LH carbon copy of Tanev. So composed in all situations. Amazing to think he has only played a handful of NHL games.

As bad as Myers is, he was the only Dman really able to clear the crease and hold flames players at distance, when they started to put on the pressure... Unless we get more size on the backend, they won't survive play offs games.

And finally Kuz... yes was thinking the exact same thing. For whatever reason, Tocchet has broken up the Petey Kuz partnership, and it didn't really work for neither. 

Kuz is a 26 year old seasoned pro, who has been scoring for fun... not some teenager. Tough love is fine, but don't go overboard with it.

Finally, as much as I love to see us beat the flames and put a dent into their playoffs hopes, can't help feeling we are slipping further and further away from a lucky punt at the top 2-3 players in the draft... :sadno:

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

3 hours ago, DefCon1 said:

How can you choke in the first 2 months? They were bad most of the year until the last couple of months when Tocchet got hired. You can't choke if you are bad since the beginning and throughout the year lol

I think we all expected them to be much better, coach, management, players, fans. 

The terrible start was near (or was) historic.  Number of games loss to start a season, number of multi goal leads blown, league worst PK etc.  That was a choke job because we know they should be better, and the team itself set a bar for themselves that they can't handle the pressure (Unfinished Business).  BB even said in pre-season that not making the playoffs would be a disaster.  

5 hours ago, BlakeQuinnAndEggs said:

I get big time young Chris Tanev vibes. Kids got a dart in his mouth out there in 3 on 3 overtime in his 3rd game 

Totally agree....

The old Bieksa line  "he could have played with a cigarette in his mouth." springs to mind... 

What a great pick up.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, spook007 said:

As always on point...

McWard certainly finding his feet now. The goal aside he looked far more engaged and not so overawed as in the last game. Hirose looks like a LH carbon copy of Tanev. So composed in all situations. Amazing to think he has only played a handful of NHL games.

As bad as Myers is, he was the only Dman really able to clear the crease and hold flames players at distance, when they started to put on the pressure... Unless we get more size on the backend, they won't survive play offs games.

And finally Kuz... yes was thinking the exact same thing. For whatever reason, Tocchet has broken up the Petey Kuz partnership, and it didn't really work for neither. 

Kuz is a 26 year old seasoned pro, who has been scoring for fun... not some teenager. Tough love is fine, but don't go overboard with it.

Finally, as much as I love to see us beat the flames and put a dent into their playoffs hopes, can't help feeling we are slipping further and further away from a lucky punt at the top 2-3 players in the draft... :sadno:

Has Kuz a ten mill bonus if he reach 40 goals? 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, BarnBurner said:

And as odd as it may seem, because I want Myers and his cap hit gone, I believe there's a good chance he shows up at camp and plays well next year. 

Simply because it's his contract year. 

If he really screws up, well, obviously that's his own doing. But it's amazing how most of these guys "focus" and shift it into overdrive when they're playing for their next contract. 

Which means, if he's playing well, plus Hronek at RD, that leaves only one other RD needed. 

Which would be Bear 

So no further upgrade on the right side.

And still expensive.

Would be nice to be either better or cheaper.