The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report/Rumour] Elias Pettersson Contract Talks

4 minutes ago, Chickenspear said:

...his contract runs through this season.

I know.  I'm just saying I hope they don't drag this out.  Pay the guy what he wants for 8 years and move forward.  Don't play games with arguably the most important player for this franchise right now.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I know.  I'm just saying I hope they don't drag this out.  Pay the guy what he wants for 8 years and move forward.  Don't play games with arguably the most important player for this franchise right now.

It’s likely Petterssons camp that wants to wait and see what happens with the salary cap, and allow other comparable deals to happen first

• Upvote 1
  • elephant 1

2 minutes ago, Kenny Powers said:

It’s likely Petterssons camp that wants to wait and see what happens with the salary cap, and allow other comparable deals to happen first

When Allvin says "We're going to sit down when the time is right."... I suspect it's Allvin's camp that is waiting.

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

When Allvin says "We're going to sit down when the time is right."... I suspect it's Allvin's camp that is waiting.

yeah, it makes it sound like the balls in his court. 

I’ve read a couple times that it would be advantageous to let another star player sign first, so he’s not setting the precedent for the (hopefully) last flat cap year. 

Any confirmation / information on the cap (this upcoming season and next) should drive up his value. 

1 minute ago, Kenny Powers said:

yeah, it makes it sound like the balls in his court. 

I’ve read a couple times that it would be advantageous to let another star player sign first, so he’s not setting the precedent for the (hopefully) last flat cap year. 

Any confirmation / information on the cap (this upcoming season and next) should drive up his value. 

Not sure who they're waiting for though?  What other star players are of Petey's calibre that is up for contract renewal?  Matthews?  He's gonna get paid a ton, it'll just make negotiations worse lol

22 minutes ago, Kenny Powers said:

Yup, it benefits the team to get a deal done sooner than later more than it benefits Pettersson 

14 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Not sure who they're waiting for though?  What other star players are of Petey's calibre that is up for contract renewal?  Matthews?  He's gonna get paid a ton, it'll just make negotiations worse lol

I believe I heard Aho and Zegras, although not direct comparables, might show how the expected cap increase 2 seasons from now will factor into long term deals signed today

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Well at least in 2011, we weren't considered a high tax team.    Might want to check in on that. 

In 2011 the top combined personal tax rate (bc plus fed) was 43.7%.

In 2023 it is 53.5%

The last ten years has seen the NDP provincially and the Liberals federally add 10 percentage points to the tax rate.

We are now a tax pariah for NHL players. 15% higher tax rate than Florida Texas Washington and Nevada.

• Cheers 1

59 minutes ago, fanfor42 said:

In 2011 the top combined personal tax rate (bc plus fed) was 43.7%.

In 2023 it is 53.5%

The last ten years has seen the NDP provincially and the Liberals federally add 10 percentage points to the tax rate.

We are now a tax pariah for NHL players. 15% higher tax rate than Florida Texas Washington and Nevada.

Next cba that should be addressed.

With revenue sharing that should be taken into mind to make every team equal.

That way every team going forward will have an equal shot at players wanting to play for them. Cap equal across the board is a win for all 

• Cheers 1
  • elephant 1

31 minutes ago, cripplereh said:

Next cba that should be addressed.

With revenue sharing that should be taken into mind to make every team equal.

That way every team going forward will have an equal shot at players wanting to play for them. Cap equal across the board is a win for all 

Exactly this. How can we be supporting the Florida teams in revenue sharing when they’re also benefiting from being a destination of choice by the players because of the low taxes? They can’t have it both ways.

• Upvote 1
  • There it is 1

4 hours ago, HKSR said:

Can't even extend him until after July 1...Pretty sure that's what Allvin is referring to as the "right time". I'm sure they've already touched base and will likely talk after the first round of UFA/trades in the first ~week of July.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, rekker said:

More valuable, and better all round hockey player. I'm being dead serious. I wouldn't trade EP for AM straight across. 

Exactly.  EP plays all positions ;) so he is worth much more.

Just don't tell his agent!

• Haha 2

22 hours ago, Citizen Erased said:

Boudreau talking about the importance of Elias Pettersson, saying he’s more valuable to the Canucks than Matthews is to Toronto.

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/boudreau-on-pettersson-hes-probably-more-important-than-matthews~2718361

12.5M here we come...

Or short term $11M and he becomes a free agent in three years