The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report/Rumour] Elias Pettersson Contract Talks

41 minutes ago, Strawbone said:

Toss up for me between Makar and Pettersson. I have a hunch Petey still has significant untapped potential. 

And Elias, could you spend less time posting here and more time signing a long term team-friendly deal? 8x10m is more than anyone could ever want or need, right? 

8x10M would be perfect. Let’s make that happen. 

2 hours ago, Strawbone said:

Toss up for me between Makar and Pettersson. I have a hunch Petey still has significant untapped potential. 

And Elias, could you spend less time posting here and more time signing a long term team-friendly deal? 8x10m is more than anyone could ever want or need, right? 

IMG_9194.gif

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

On 7/15/2023 at 10:34 PM, Provost said:

Fan vote… meaningless

The the top are right so far.   Debatable for 3-4, and kind of meaningless past Batherson.   Pretty sure any team would be happy to have either Makar or EP.   At the moment Makar's are harder to find.   In the end they are both on a HHOF trajectory, but Makar for sure has a head start.   Norris, cup etc.   RHD.   Makar was the biggest gap in COL lineup, and a huge reason they won a cup.    As soon as he joined the team, they made the playoffs again. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

On 7/20/2023 at 8:02 AM, The Arrogant Worms said:

Sounds like a complicated deal that they're trying to work out. Again, haven't heard much on that front, so I wonder if things have stalled...

On 7/14/2023 at 4:51 PM, bishopshodan said:

I dont think so.

I have similar concerns. I dont see it as panic. 

Petey seems like an awesome person, however he is also an awesome player and many will be telling him what he could make. It make sense that some fans have concerns that he might be wooed away by dollars and a better chance to win.

Though I agree with you that we have a good squad. 

It would worry me if he doesn’t sign before training camp. We know how much of a distraction contractual status can be for the player. Didn’t Brock a few years ago enter training camp without a deal? And then he had one of his worst seasons that year? Forgive me if that’s inaccurate, but I remember Boeser having a season like that due to contract negotiations. 

There’s a lot at stake this upcoming season. The team starting without their absolute best player? That would be a massive blow. The team cannot afford to have a poor start to the season. They can’t afford to be behind the eight ball - yet again.

3 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

It would worry me if he doesn’t sign before training camp. We know how much of a distraction contractual status can be for the player. Didn’t Brock a few years ago enter training camp without a deal? And then he had one of his worst seasons that year? Forgive me if that’s inaccurate, but I remember Boeser having a season like that due to contract negotiations. 

There’s a lot at stake this upcoming season. The team starting without their absolute best player? That would be a massive blow. The team cannot afford to have a poor start to the season. They can’t afford to be behind the eight ball - yet again.

He's under contract for the upcoming year already. This is an extension we're talking about partner.

17 hours ago, -AJ- said:

A good video from THG that takes into context cap inflation and compares a lot of big contracts over the years:

Don't know why he didn't bring up RFA and UFA years...didn't really get into that.   Or bring up Sundins offer from MG... that was the biggest cap percentage offer all-time, at least from my own memory (2 x 10 , was almost 18% of the salary cap in 2008-2009...Canucks dodged a huge bullet there). 

He also spent a lot of time talking about what the cap hit and what they got paid - but never said once, and made inferences that what is actually getting paid is what counts against the cap!   So  not sure he even gets what he's talking about.    It's always the AVV that counts against the cap.   Crosby's cap hit and Tavares and Mathews isn't 3.5 and 7.9ish etc ... 

This reason players get want front loaded deals is simple economics.   They are already in the max tax brackets.   So get the money upfront and invest it.   It's called "future value of money".   A dollar in making money for you right now, is worth more than one dollar earned in five or six years.   And when it's in the millions of tens of millions, like it was for Luongo and others, it gives the player the chance to double their money.   Or at least add 50% of value, over a contract structured like Doughtys and EKs.   It's also a way to sign the player to a lower cap hit.    More so the clauses really.   The two together is helpful for sure, in keeping cap hits lower.   Well it should be in theory, but doesn't always work (see LE and Myers!...still comes down to the play on the ice). 

Wish he spent more time doing cap percentages.    He did break it down, but  wish he focused just on that.   It's all that matters.   And also spent time showing or illustrating, how RFA deals keep getting richer and richer.    He said Dahlin should make close to what EK and Doughty do.   Have a big problem with that, cap hasn't gone up that much.   He hasn't been a top D in this league for years, won anything etc, which they did during their RFA years, instead he should be signing something a fair bit less then EK and Doughty did cap percentage wise on their RFA deals, at least those years of his next deal (sure maybe a couple UFA years get bought too...).   That's how Dahlin's next deal should be compared to ones in the past.    EK had already won a Norris!   Doughty won cups.  Because in part, he wasn't getting paid like he is today.   It's how the system is supposed to work.    Can't pay RFAs like they are UFAs.   Well if you hope to win a cup anyways. 

I like the Hockey Guy, but he didn't really do much in this video other than write down top paid players, and maybe cover a few basics, but also muddied the waters with AVV and what a player gets paid, with little explanation, actually no explanation actually pretty sure he was saying that it helps cap later when the guys are making a lot less (Tavares, Mathews and Crosby) like it means the cap hit goes down those years for the teams, which of course it does not.    A missed opportunity, wish he delved into the history of how second contracts keep going up percentage wise.   He also liked the 12 year Crosby deal (also didn't explain how long it took before that actually helped PIT, but that's ok)  ... GMs would kill the league if 12 year deals were allowed IMO.   They'd be handing them out to the wrong players, and giving guys who'd maybe earned a 4-5 year deal, 8-10. 

Edited by IBatch

17 hours ago, -AJ- said:

A good video from THG that takes into context cap inflation and compares a lot of big contracts over the years:

What he said about EP..that he's earned and deserves a 10 million dollar deal is true.    

Saying that 8 million is the going rate for a top six player made me cringe.    Well is it?    Seems a tad high.   Add a couple star players, that's 50 plus for your top six.     As of right now, there is only 46 forwards making  8 or more.   Get new contracts will change that, but also bet, with cap going up over the next two years, that number won't get higher then maybe 65-70, and will take sometime before 8 for a 60 point guy, is the norm (maybe when the cap gets to 100plus).     There is 192 spots in the top six.    Even if two are on ELC's...there is still 128 spots.    Believe he should have been talking top line players.   Not top six.   That's still 96 spots to fill.  8 plus for top line players, yes would agree on that.    And hope he makes another video, that concentrates on the difference between an RFA and a UFA.    

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 2

On 7/12/2023 at 10:43 PM, JeremyCuddles said:

If he wants 12mil I say trade him. Unpopular opinion but he's not worth 12mil. 

You don't think a 100+ point 25 year old who finished 7th in Selke voting is worth 12 million when 16+ is the max contract? The reality is, Pettersson is the greatest talent we've ever had in this franchise, in 50+ years. Yes, I said it, not Bure (who is the most electric), it's Pettersson. He'd be worth every penny at 12 million. I think we'll get him at 8x11 and that'll be a steal.

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1
  • Wat 1

9 minutes ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

You don't think a 100+ point 25 year old who finished 7th in Selke voting is worth 12 million when 16+ is the max contract? The reality is, Pettersson is the greatest talent we've ever had in this franchise, in 50+ years. Yes, I said it, not Bure (who is the most electric), it's Pettersson. He'd be worth every penny at 12 million. I think we'll get him at 8x11 and that'll be a steal.

Sadly a lot of folks can't tell the difference between overall talent and excitement. Stay at home, reliable, rock steady defencemen are as important as a stand out goalie.

Or a highly offensive forward. Or a QB on the Power Play. The best teams are deep in all positions, and have stand out players fulfilling defined or even abilities to do multiple roles.

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Sadly a lot of folks can't tell the difference between overall talent and excitement. Stay at home, reliable, rock steady defencemen are as important as a stand out goalie.

Or a highly offensive forward. Or a QB on the Power Play. The best teams are deep in all positions, and have stand out players fulfilling defined or even abilities to do multiple roles.

I agree, but it's not Petey at 12 million that's going to be a bad cap decision. It's our history of giving 4th liners 3 million dollar contracts. OEL, Eriksson, Virtanen, Poolman etc... You don't skimp out on the most talented player to ever play in your franchise (my opinion) for a measly 1-2 million dollars and say it's to address our depth. The Pettersson contract increase can easily be accounted for if we get rid of one of our 6 wingers who make 4.5+ million. 

• Cheers 1