The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks announce change to coaching staff

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

4 hours ago, ilduce39 said:

I always have respect for guys who work their way up in our organization like King has - but, yeah, probably time for a new voice on specials.  

You’d think there will be a lot of interest - PP especially should be like handing off the keys to a Ferrari. 

Yeah, I think this is one of those situations where we can't let "homegrown" cloud our judgement. If we aren't getting results, that has to be the biggest factor in my opinion.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, VancouverHabitant said:

To be honest, every single power play is "streaky". 

We focus on the Canucks a lot, but the nature of most power play units is that they get hot and then cool off. 

To an extent sure.

I don’t see other powerplays look completely lost and unable to even set up in the opposing zone though. That was a regular occurrence.

Fans always get fooled by a top ranked powerplay though. My biggest want of a powerplay is to keep other teams honest. I didn’t see other teams fear our powerplay too much to be honest.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, VancouverHabitant said:

To be honest, every single power play is "streaky". 

We focus on the Canucks a lot, but the nature of most power play units is that they get hot and then cool off. 

Ours looked awful at times as if no one was telling them what to do, or the players had no clue what they wanted. Just passed the puck around ad nauseum until the 2 minutes were up.

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

A team that goes 3 for 4 one night against a bad team and then 0 for 6 the next night barely generating a shot is not a top powerplay.

Consistency is key and they are not consistent. They’re the streakiest powerplay unit in the league.

yeah, you're describing a bottom 10 team. the powerplay is the least of their worries.

the fact that king achieved what he did with a completely broken team and no threat from the point is pretty damn good. I'm fine with him being fired because there were too many cooks in the kitchen, but he was by no means a problem or an area that needed particular improvement (compared to the whole).

1 minute ago, tas said:

yeah, you're describing a bottom 10 team. the powerplay is the least of their worries.

the fact that king achieved what he did with a completely broken team and no threat from the point is pretty damn good. I'm fine with him being fired because there were too many cooks in the kitchen, but he was by no means a problem or an area that needed particular improvement (compared to the whole).

Was King fired or did his contract just run out? 

49 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Ours looked awful at times as if no one was telling them what to do, or the players had no clue what they wanted. Just passed the puck around ad nauseum until the 2 minutes were up.

My biggest issue with our PP was that nobody held our PP1 guys accountable and they would regularly take 1:30 in ice time and not change when they could/should.  

It was disrespectful to the PP2 guys IMO. 

This resulted in some shorthanded goals being scored against us too. 

Anyways, yeah the passing around was very annoying.  It didn't look like they knew what they wanted to set up.  JT to Quinn, back to JT, the behind the back drop pass to Quinn who fakes a shot, stops for a few seconds, passes to Petey, back to Quinn....  yeah I know I know....  

There was a short time when Tocchet took over and we saw a lot more movement on our power play, and I don't mean through passing but rather guys were skating around and switching positions.  

I also think that Kuzmenko should be stapled to PP1 over Boeser and Beauvillier.  Maybe it was all a ploy to build up Boeser and Beauvillier's value for a trade?  

31 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Was King fired or did his contract just run out? 

not being retained is the same as being fired. though I guess he could claim he was laid off if it makes him feel better since they aren't filling the position. 

• There it is 1