The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks' Boeser finds peace with hockey after season-long struggle

Rate this topic

The Arrogant Worms

12 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

Can appreciate the struggle he's been through the last couple of seasons. I think if there's a trade out there, we'll move him to gain cap space and improve in other areas. We have lots of guys who can score, and I do believe that he can get back to 30 goals per season or more, but we need the space too badly so that we can really address defense.

• Cheers 2

13 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

I would be open to giving him another year to prove himself instead of selling low. I would move Beau or Garland instead if possible.  

Completely open to that idea as well, I look at Beauvillier at 4.15 million as similar expected production to Garland, but Garland plays a more disruptive game in the offensive zone, personally, I think a little better on the boards at stealing pucks. I see Hoglander as really similar game to Garland, he's an inch shorter, but significantly heavier. If Hoglander can really show that he's ready to play a full game in the NHL next season, I see the team doing his next contract as a 1 year, show me deal at around 800k, one way NHL contract. This frees the team up to move Garland and save about 4.1 million on cap

Like you, all things being equal, I'd rather keep Boeser and give him a chance to prove himself. Even with having a bad season, he was still better than .75 points per game. If he pulls himself back together for next season, his value on the trade market will go up significantly.

• Cheers 3

Looks like Boeser wants to have a "good summer". Add him to the list with the Younger EP.

Trading him to get under the cap would definitely be selling low. Let's just see how things are later on. Maybe we eventually have to trade him to sign EP the elder. And if he has a good year like he very well might with a "good summer" and his head screwed on right, we won't be able to afford to resign brock anyways. So it seems the path is clear.

Worse case scenario you ditch Beauvillier or Garland if we need to be cap compliant.

I like Brock, he is a good kid, has a good heart and just likeable as a person. I truly empathize with him and losing his dad really impacted his overall way he saw life and the game. I don't blame him for that nor do I expect him to resolve his grief. In 2018, I lost 3 family members in a span of 2 months, I that still weighs heavily on me especially when it comes around to holidays, their birthdays, and summer time when I would vacation often with these 3 people. I still think his grief will be a journey that will continue to evolve for him.

As much as I can empathize and truly respect Brock for gutting it out this past season and working hard in the second half of the season, I still think it is time to move on from him from a hockey standpoint. I think the sentiments and emotional ties with him get in the way of the fact that, its not just this season that it has been hard to watch Brock, but for several seasons. The same question marks that were of this season were of the past seasons before his issues with his Dad's health.

His skating, ability to keep up with the fast pace of the game now, lack of ability to consistently win board battles, defensive play, and his lack of threat with a shot now have all been longstanding issues for him. I'm hoping I'm wrong and Brock makes me eat my words hard because I do like him, but I honestly don't think he has another level. I think he is what he is...a good middle six complementary player who can add some offense but wildly inconsistent in other areas. He will always be a player that leaves you wanting more. IMO, its in the Canucks best interest to move on from him. Yes, we would be selling low on him, but sometimes, its addition by subtraction. 

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, VegasCanuck said:

Can appreciate the struggle he's been through the last couple of seasons. I think if there's a trade out there, we'll move him to gain cap space and improve in other areas. We have lots of guys who can score, and I do believe that he can get back to 30 goals per season or more, but we need the space too badly so that we can really address defense.

You can't "get back" to a place you ain't never been ;)

I love Boeser. I'd love for him to finally crack the 30 goal mark. I agree with other posters in that we should wait and hopefully sell high on him. I'd prefer to keep Boeser, but moving the money out just makes sense.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, babych said:

You can't "get back" to a place you ain't never been ;)

I love Boeser. I'd love for him to finally crack the 30 goal mark. I agree with other posters in that we should wait and hopefully sell high on him. I'd prefer to keep Boeser, but moving the money out just makes sense.

Wasn't it Patrick Sharp on the Black Hawks who wasn't a great skater but had a wicked shot. Played the boards well. When I watch BB that is who comes to mind. Might be off base.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Wasn't it Patrick Sharp on the Black Hawks who wasn't a great skater but had a wicked shot. Played the boards well. When I watch BB that is who comes to mind. Might be off base.  

Sounds about right. I was thinking maybe Versteeg but he wasn't the goal scorer Sharp was.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

yeah, and philly gave up on sharp much to chicago's benefit. 

hopefully the same doesn't happen with brock.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ronthecivil said:

Looks like Boeser wants to have a "good summer". Add him to the list with the Younger EP.

Trading him to get under the cap would definitely be selling low. Let's just see how things are later on. Maybe we eventually have to trade him to sign EP the elder. And if he has a good year like he very well might with a "good summer" and his head screwed on right, we won't be able to afford to resign brock anyways. So it seems the path is clear.

Worse case scenario you ditch Beauvillier or Garland if we need to be cap compliant.

Both 

4 hours ago, Bure_Pavel said:

I would be open to giving him another year to prove himself instead of selling low. I would move Beau or Garland instead if possible.  

3 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

The more I think about it the more Beauvillier is the player I would move. 

Yeah, with Mikheyev coming back (hopefully), we know he already has chemistry with Kuz and Petey.

• Cheers 3