The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Proposal

I'd rather not, he's pretty bad and signed for many more years, but maybe we could get some value coming back as well seeing as Myers is only on a 1 year deal? They give us one of their two 3rd round picks as well?

We save 1M in cap space, flip Garland for a pick and sign Graves or Gavrikov to a 5-6M deal. Risto is bad as a top pairing defenceman but I'd quite like him as a 4-5th guy.

Graves - Hronek

Hughes - Ristolainen

OEL - Burroughs

Hirose

Rathbone

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Myers to Philly (straight up) for Risto.

Get ‘er done JR! 
Hughes, Risto

Bone, Hronek

Wooly, Woo

Dermutt

Why would you after finally getting rid of Myers, trade for someone 10 X worse? Risto is -176 in his career! Myers is -7 in entire career.............

Yes, it is hard to believe! One, could say this proposal is out of this world! Which is exactly where it should stay!

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

59 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

How do people keep thinking we could get pics back for Myers. 

I believe that Myers has value once his bonus is paid. His contract would have looked a lot better on paper if the NHL hadn't run into a flat cap situation. A lot of free agents around the NHL get signed, expecting that their contract will look better with the constantly rising cap. If the cap had continued to rise as expected (pre covid). he'd be sitting at an approximate equivalent of 4.25 - 4.5 million per season, averaged against the rising cap. For Myers, that's not bad.

• Cheers 1

42 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

I believe that Myers has value once his bonus is paid. His contract would have looked a lot better on paper if the NHL hadn't run into a flat cap situation. A lot of free agents around the NHL get signed, expecting that their contract will look better with the constantly rising cap. If the cap had continued to rise as expected (pre covid). he'd be sitting at an approximate equivalent of 4.25 - 4.5 million per season, averaged against the rising cap. For Myers, that's not bad.

What his contract MIGHT have looked like is meaningless.   Once his bonus is paid it does become an attractive contract to a team wanting to reach the cap floor.  The problem is the timing of that bonus. I don’t know how many teams are going to wait until September to address their rosters to the tune of $6m. It’s going to be interesting watching how it plays out 

Can someone clarify the bonus payout date for Myers?

Cap Friendly just says he signed the current deal on 01July2019.

- Hockey Guy says the bonus is paid 01July2023.

- I've seen it reported it gets paid either on 15Sep2023 or 01Sep2023.

Which is it? I'm also more curious why it would be paid in September?

1 hour ago, qwijibo said:

What his contract MIGHT have looked like is meaningless.   Once his bonus is paid it does become an attractive contract to a team wanting to reach the cap floor.  The problem is the timing of that bonus. I don’t know how many teams are going to wait until September to address their rosters to the tune of $6m. It’s going to be interesting watching how it plays out 

He also has a 10 team no trade list.  Surely his side is aware of it and can put those floor teams on his list.

Chicago might be the only team that could need help to reach the floor.  Arizona will have no trouble after acquiring Weber's LTIR contract.  Anaheim has the RFA deals for Zegras and Terry.  Don't see any others.  Buffalo/Ottawa/Detroit have extensions kicking in and are no longer floor teams.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Can someone clarify the bonus payout date for Myers?

Cap Friendly just says he signed the current deal on 01July2019.

- Hockey Guy says the bonus is paid 01July2023.

- I've seen it reported it gets paid either on 15Sep2023 or 01Sep2023.

Which is it? I'm also more curious why it would be paid in September?

According to Satiar Shah it is September 1...

13 minutes ago, mll said:

He also has a 10 team no trade list.  Surely his side is aware of it and can put those floor teams on his list.

Chicago might be the only team that could need help to reach the floor.  Arizona will have no trouble after acquiring Weber's LTIR contract.  Anaheim has the RFA deals for Zegras and Terry.  Don't see any others.  Buffalo/Ottawa/Detroit have extensions kicking in and are no longer floor teams.

The Canucks could put him on waivers after his bonus is paid on September 1 and Chicago could pick him up to reach the cap floor for a $1 million salary.  Would be a good deal for Chicago to reach the cap floor and get a $6 million cap hit for only $1 million in actual dollars owed...

35 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

The Canucks could put him on waivers after his bonus is paid on September 1 and Chicago could pick him up to reach the cap floor for a $1 million salary.  Would be a good deal for Chicago to reach the cap floor and get a $6 million cap hit for only $1 million in actual dollars owed...

Teams with LTIR contracts are likely going to see Chicago as an opportunity to dump those contracts.  Tampa has Seabrook.  Philadelphia has Ellis.  Montreal - who was on the bonus overage list because of their ELCs might have clarity on Price.  They might simply not need Myers to reach the floor.  Mid-September is really late for teams to figure out their cap situation.

Free agency is 2.5 months earlier.  It's also a risk on Vancouver.  If they already spend his cap space, other teams will know that they have no choice but to move the contract and price could go up.  Even with an agreement in place - it's not formal so any team could just back out or ask for another asset.  

3 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

I don’t think he has value at a $3M cap hit after his bonus is paid. Especially since he can block any of the cap floor teams and good teams don’t have $3M for a bad defenceman. 
Maybe someone would take him as a free cap hit if tanking but I think in that situation the absolute best return would be future considerations, tanking teams aren’t usually giving away pics.

4 minutes ago, mll said:

Teams with LTIR contracts are likely going to see Chicago as an opportunity to dump those contracts.  Tampa has Seabrook.  Philadelphia has Ellis.  Montreal - who was on the bonus overage list because of their ELCs might have clarity on Price.  They might simply not need Myers to reach the floor.  Mid-September is really late for teams to figure out their cap situation.

Free agency is 2.5 months earlier.  It's also a risk on Vancouver.  If they already spend his cap space, other teams will know that they have no choice but to move the contract and price could go up.  Even with an agreement in place - it's not formal so any team could just back out or ask for another asset.  

Tampa Bay doesn't have any assets to trade to Chicago.  They traded an entire draft class just to get Jeannot.  They will probably just work around LTIR for another year.  Ryan Ellis has 4 years left on his contract.  Has it been confirmed that he will never play again?  If not, that is a big contract to take on.  Same with Carey Price.  He's contracted for 3 more years.  There has been no word that he is not going to play again.  I doubt Chicago wants to take on these risks just to reach the cap floor for one year.

We could always give them Tanner Pearson if they are looking for LTIR contracts.  Pearson and Myers combined would be $9.325 million in cap space but only $1 million in real dollars. 

If Karlsson is the poster boy for comeback king D-men this year, Ristolainen is a solid runner-up candidate.  Something changed in him under Torts.  He turned into a very solid two-way player who plays good defence.  I never thought I'd say that about someone like him, especially after such an abysmal start in Philly.

Which brings me to my point - I'm not sure if Philly wants to trade him away.  I think Ristolainen is still a bit overpaid but he's providing good value to that Flyers blueline.  He's one of the good stories to come out of what has been a tough rebuilding season.  

33 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Tampa Bay doesn't have any assets to trade to Chicago.  They traded an entire draft class just to get Jeannot.  They will probably just work around LTIR for another year.  Ryan Ellis has 4 years left on his contract.  Has it been confirmed that he will never play again?  If not, that is a big contract to take on.  Same with Carey Price.  He's contracted for 3 more years.  There has been no word that he is not going to play again.  I doubt Chicago wants to take on these risks just to reach the cap floor for one year.

We could always give them Tanner Pearson if they are looking for LTIR contracts.  Pearson and Myers combined would be $9.325 million in cap space but only $1 million in real dollars. 

Chicago talked of at least 5 years if not longer to rebuild correctly this time.  Sure sounds like they are tanking for the foreseeable future and not just next season.

Would expect Tampa to try and move Seabrook back to Chicago for future considerations.

Chicago has options to settle their cap situation before 15 September.  Will they wait on the Canucks or just take any other option to have it resolved early.

Edited by mll
  • Upvote 1