The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[ADF] Toronto Maple Leafs (A2) vs. Florida Panthers (WC2) | Panthers win series 4-1

Rate this topic

2023 Stanley Cup Playoffs | Round 2  

147 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the series?

• Maple Leafs in 4
    • Maple Leafs in 5
    • Maple Leafs in 6
    • Maple Leafs in 7
    • Panthers in 4
    • Panthers in 5
    • Panthers in 6
    • Panthers in 7

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/04/2023 at 11:00 PM

8 hours ago, HKSR said:

I wouldn't wanna face the cats... there's something about them this year.  Gelling at the right time.  Everything is just clicking for them.

Last year Florida was considered a contender...It looks like it's their time right now.  

• Cheers 2

9 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Why are the Leafs losing this series?

Well, besides the fact they don't have a strong enough group of D-men, the key fact is their best players are not stepping up.

Marner, Mathews, Nylander and Tavares are not leading by example and scoring goals and driving the offense.

None of them has scored a goal yet in the series.

Mathews and Nylander had 40 goals each in the regular season, Tavares had 36 and Marner had 30 goals.

Where is their production?

Just not good enough.

Matthews $11.6, Taveres $11.0, Marner $10.9, Nylander $6.9 = 45.4% of the Laffer Cap. I won't mention Rielly at $7.5 or their tender Murray (not even dressing) at $4.7 M. Almost half the Cap going to 4 players says a lot about icing a team with little secondary scoring. Obviously Seattle didn't buy the Laffer play book. I can only hope that Allvin doesn't either as he heads towards resigning Petey and Hughes. Look south and not east Patrick!!! 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

Matthews $11.6, Taveres $11.0, Marner $10.9, Nylander $6.9 = 45.4% of the Laffer Cap. I won't mention Rielly at $7.5 or their tender Murray (not even dressing) at $4.7 M. Almost half the Cap going to 4 players says a lot about icing a team with little secondary scoring. Obviously Seattle didn't buy the Laffer play book. I can only hope that Allvin doesn't either as he heads towards resigning Petey and Hughes. Look south and not east Patrick!!! 

I trust Alvin in building the bottom six. He did it in Pittsburgh to much success. 

• Like 1

Imagine waiting all these years to get past the first round only to be swept by the 8th seeded team. 

Hope waiting all these years for one extra playoff win was worth it for Leafs fans :towel:

Edited by iinatcc

3 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

Hope so. I mean him and Rutherford managed to win the cup with a pretty average d-core 

Then we've got it made then, right?  Plan the parade :towel:

Dreadful goaltending but obviously the top stars not performing sums it up. If you have what, 40% of your cap allocated to the core and they don't produce, that's a problem. Edmonton has a very top heavy team but at least their stars are performing. I doubt that's a sustainable recipe in the long-run down the line in the playoffs, but at least Draisaitl is carrying the team. No one is carrying Toronto. Their depth sucks and their stars are invisible and not playoff performers.

You've got to start thinking big trade after they bow out. They need a solid goalie and top defenceman and have forwards to spare. JT is probably too costly to trade, I'd stick with Marner - he's probably the best of the bunch. Nylander is a very neat trading chip but you have to think Matthews has been dreadful and could get them a massive haul. I'd be thinking Tkachuk-like haul if they can manage it with someone. Try and get a decent top-4 defenceman back, a top-6 forward and maybe a first and prospect. They need to shake up that stale core.

Leafs will be done soon and it will be for the best. They will move on from AM who is one of the best Shinny players of all time. He's had his tires pumped now for years but has been exposed for the last time. Moving on from him and Nylander and bringing in some Yani Gourde types will make the team better. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Boudrias said:

People seriously underate the value of 3rd and 4th line players. Top line players eat up all the cash. It's a little out of balance at times. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2