The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who here is actually happy with the Hronek trade?

Rate this topic

Odd.

This team tries to build too quickly,, over paid players with no emphasis on acquiring draft picks,, smells like the owner is very involved in having a winner and doesnt want to build properly,, no gm in their right mind makes the trades benning made without approval from the owner. ..   contracts given out by the new regime are questionable as well given our standing and talent level.  Would prefer more draft picks on elc’s. 

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, ilduce39 said:

Yeah.  We don’t have the money or, really, room for Severson.  I know he’d be a #2 on this group but we’re committed to Hronek and Myers next year with the club being bullish on Bear.

If we’re doing a wish list I’d rather throw money at a shutdown LD to play PK for Hughes and OEL than chase/overpay for an RD. Even if we can move Myers, which is far from a sure thing.

I just don't think this is the offseason to try and force things to plug holes when we can address areas next offseason as cap comes off organically. Which isn't to say management shouldn't be looking to explore options, but yeah. 

The Canucks likely to be most impacted by father time sooner than later are Miller and OEL but it's not worth rushing things to accommodate their age trajectory if being patient is the smarter play. 

I mean, guys like Graves and Mayfield could be interesting but they're also very much going to be in demand I'd reckon. I think the Kings find a way to keep Gavrikov considering what they spent on him. They don't strike me as a team looking to rent just yet. 

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Alflives said:

And the reason Yzerman went to us was that Islanders’ first. It had very high value. Now it’s locked in at 18 we don’t even get a sniff at Hronek. Huge add by Allvin. 

This.... Yzerman gambled, and didn't win the jack pot. 

It probably is a fair's deal for both sides...

5 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I don’t think it’s far from unfair to have concerns in regards of OEL and their fit and I wouldn’t go out and state things for certain when there’s too much uncertainty surrounding it personally. I think if Mattaa is available and we create enough cap it’s a no brainer and less of a risky move than higher priced UFAs

Mattaa won’t be as pricey as other D available, brings qualities we want as a winning team, Cup experience with our management, has been regarded as a good character guy and Hronek played his best hockey with him. Those are the facts I am gonna go by. 

If we clear enough cap though. We have other priorities first. I think if the opportunity arises I would take it. 

I really think we have our own Mattas in the organisation in a player like Pettersson.

But regarding OEL, he is a C where he plays(Arizona, swedish national team…) since he was 26, A since 22 years. That means he brings a lot to the table beside the pure hockey bit.

He got high hockeyiq so if he’s not injured he got no problem to lift any partner he gets.

If it’s Hronek or Woo, whatever.

He is a top 4D that don’t have a problem taking responsibility.

What more do you want?

6 hours ago, Timråfan said:

I really think we have our own Mattas in the organisation in a player like Pettersson.

But regarding OEL, he is a C where he plays(Arizona, swedish national team…) since he was 26, A since 22 years. That means he brings a lot to the table beside the pure hockey bit.

He got high hockeyiq so if he’s not injured he got no problem to lift any partner he gets.

What more do you want?

A lot of people look at OEL's last season, one in which he was injured the entire time, and think that THAT is what he's actually like now, and completely forget his great 1st year with us. It's more convenient for the whiners to think that OEL is a bum, and not someone who played through a fractured foot. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

6 hours ago, Timråfan said:

What more do you want?

My concerns to be alleviated. Until they prove good chemistry they don't have it. OEL needs a bounceback year too. A lot of ifs. The point was to alleviate any concerns by acquiring Maatta who has proven to already have chemistry with Hronek playing his best hockey with him rather than going into the season with the unknowns/ifs/assumptions as we currently are. 

Like I said though it would require considerable cap created as we need cap for other areas first. So Maatta is a long shot for being a consideration. 

11 minutes ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

A lot of people look at OEL's last season, one in which he was injured the entire time, and think that THAT is what he's actually like now, and completely forget his great 1st year with us. It's more convenient for the whiners to think that OEL is a bum, and not someone who played through a fractured foot. 

If OEL can come back and play well then we have a really good top four:

Hughes, Bear

OEL, Hronek 

And we must trade Myers. Which gives us a bottom pairing of:
Dermot, Woo

People who are happy about this trade are probably the same people that got excited when we added OEL, Myers, and Poolman. 

The truth is Hronek has never been much of a defensive analytical player. Up until this season, he has struggles in his own end, when he doesn’t have the puck. It was an outlier year for him defensively. Yzerman knew that and did what most GMs would have done and sold high on him. 

Could he continue to get better defensively, under RT? Possibly, but I don’t expect him to play against the other team’s top players or play shutdown minutes for us. 

9 minutes ago, shiznak said:

People who are happy about this trade are probably the same people that got excited when we added OEL, Myers, and Poolman. 

The truth is Hronek has never been much of a defensive analytical player. Up until this season, he has struggles in his own end, when he doesn’t have the puck. It was an outlier year for him defensively. Yzerman knew that and did what most GMs would have done and sold high on him. 

Could he continue to get better defensively, under RT? Possibly, but I don’t expect him to play against the other team’s top players or play shutdown minutes for us. 

The guy fits our core's timeline and has been the top defenseman on Detroit for 4 years. We also got him at 25 yo, and not at 29/30 like we did with both others you mentioned. He's also been a mainstay on the PK and has been his entire career. 

Also, OEL was a stud his first year with us, and played through a rough injury all of this season. He probably won't be a 7 mil dman, but the jury is still out on whether or not he can be a key player for us. 

Our medical staff was a shitshow this year (so much so that the entire league watched as we had to undergo an internal investigation), and allowed multiple players to play whilst needing surgery. Off the top of my head; OEL, Demko, Mikheyev. They (the medical staff) were a joke. All 3 of those players are better than what this season showed.

I know I'm a homer and forever optimistic, but I've had the pleasure of following Hronek for the past couple of years. I understand everybody's need to be cautious with new acquisitions (thanks for that, Benning), but this is the most solid deal I can think of in quite some time. People were happy with his play in the 4 games he played for us (coming back from a separated shoulder WAY too early, thanks medical staff!).

4 minutes ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

The guy fits our core's timeline and has been the top defenseman on Detroit for 4 years. We also got him at 25 yo, and not at 29/30 like we did with both others you mentioned. He's also been a mainstay on the PK and has been his entire career. 

Also, OEL was a stud his first year with us, and played through a rough injury all of this season. He probably won't be a 7 mil dman, but the jury is still out on whether or not he can be a key player for us. 

Our medical staff was a shitshow this year (so much so that the entire league watched as we had to undergo an internal investigation), and allowed multiple players to play whilst needing surgery. Off the top of my head; OEL, Demko, Mikheyev. They (the medical staff) were a joke. All 3 of those players are better than what this season showed.

I know I'm a homer and forever optimistic, but I've had the pleasure of following Hronek for the past couple of years. I understand everybody's need to be cautious with new acquisitions (thanks for that, Benning), but this is the most solid deal I can think of in quite some time. People were happy with his play in the 4 games he played for us (coming back from a separated shoulder WAY too early, thanks medical staff!).

Him being a mainstay on their PK isn’t saying much, when you have a choice of Biega, Stecher, Lindstrom, and a rookie Seider as your only viable options on the right-side. 

17 minutes ago, shiznak said:

Him being a mainstay on their PK isn’t saying much, when you have a choice of Biega, Stecher, Lindstrom, and a rookie Seider as your only viable options on the right-side. 

He played the most minutes on a god awful PK, in front of horrendous goaltending and managed to have very decent PK stats, all things considered.

They bought high at the most expensive time for a player that was injured.
Not an indictment on the player but this was done at worst possible time and made our cap issues worse which will make them more expensive to get out.
Other teams know they have us over a barrel when it comes to cap and will demand a premium to help. 

More patience may have made things a lot easier and cheaper to do. 
Hopefully he works out but again trading high draft pics for a player needing an extension right away is just further sign of how poor we manage cap and how we are trying to rush things for immediate pay off at the expense of the future potential of the club. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

If OEL can come back and play well then we have a really good top four:

Hughes, Bear

OEL, Hronek 

And we must trade Myers. Which gives us a bottom pairing of:
Dermot, Woo

Swap Bear and Dermott and add Schenn with Huggy please :)

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Management isn't done wheeling and dealing. 

Right now, this is how I feel. Many here do not see a way out of the cap situation, but as fans we have no idea as to how things will unfold. The Canucks have many unknown prospects that could work their way onto the opening roster. 

• Cheers 1

13 hours ago, EdgarM said:

This is what it boils down to, you picked them now you need to live or die on that hill. Oilers will do the same with McDavid/Draisaitl/Nurse and Toronto with Matthews/Marner/Reilly. 

After you pick them , then you assemble the best team behind them to give them the best chance to win.

I think we have the advantage of having a goalie like Demko at a reasonable cap hit. 

The rest of the roster should be easier to assemble and a lot cheaper. Chicago did this in their hay day and they easily replaced the support players as some of them moved on.

I like how this new management realize you can't pay players because they are popular. The team comes first. If the cost is too high, then you move them. The players no longer run this team! Finally! 

Either players follow the game plan or they go, this has been needed for so long. 

I also like how they are following a game plan regarding a players age in order to give the core the longest possible window of opportunity to succeed.

I'm glad that the inane idea of trading Demko was quashed. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

15 hours ago, EdgarM said:

This is what it boils down to, you picked them now you need to live or die on that hill. Oilers will do the same with McDavid/Draisaitl/Nurse and Toronto with Matthews/Marner/Reilly. 

After you pick them , then you assemble the best team behind them to give them the best chance to win.

I think we have the advantage of having a goalie like Demko at a reasonable cap hit. 

The rest of the roster should be easier to assemble and a lot cheaper. Chicago did this in their hay day and they easily replaced the support players as some of them moved on.

I like how this new management realize you can't pay players because they are popular. The team comes first. If the cost is too high, then you move them. The players no longer run this team! Finally! 

Either players follow the game plan or they go, this has been needed for so long. 

I also like how they are following a game plan regarding a players age in order to give the core the longest possible window of opportunity to succeed.

If that’s the case then why do we cater towards Pettersson and Hughes’s needs wand wants rather than doing what’s best for this team? 

This team is nowhere near ready to compete yet management is trading 1st round picks for other teams expendables just so we can play an extra 3 weeks in April. Tell me, what bottom 10 team in recent memory you ever see become buyers at the TDL. No draft capital, no blue chip prospects, overpaid wingers, overpaid defenseman, underperforming core guys, no quality defenseman significant enough to be a contributing factor after Hughes, no cap space.

So we go and get Hronek who’s not a top pairing defenseman but was played like

one due to how incredibly shallow Detroit’s defense was. He’s not a two way defenseman, he had a defensive defenseman babysit him in Maata back in Detroit, and he has one of the worst GSVA’s for defenseman the last 3 years.

We are retooling rather than doing what’s right and beneficial for the team because we’re letting two star players dictate decisions. No team has retooled and gotten as far as competing for the cup. It’s not worked before, it’s not going to work again. All it does is puts us in perpetual mediocrity. We just went 8 years of retooling with Benning and now we’re doing the same thing. Horvat = Trading Kesler. Hronek = Acquiring Gudbranson and trading McCann and picks.

Edited by Odd.
  • Cheers 3