The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) Canucks Blackhawks at the draft

Absolutely no to trading the 11th pick or trading down to unload money 

we only have ONE 1st round draft pick in the prospect pipe line which is sad and pathetic

I do think there’s a path to deal with the Blackhawks involving Murphy, Myers and garland…there’s a combination in there somewhere 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
  • There it is 1

3 hours ago, billabong said:

we only have ONE 1st round draft pick in the prospect pipe line which is sad and pathetic

I do think there’s a path to deal with the Blackhawks involving Murphy, Myers and garland…there’s a combination in there somewhere 

Actually Kravtsov and Filip Johansson were both first round picks. 

21 hours ago, billabong said:

It baffles me that an NHL GM would even consider following this formula after Benning proved time and time again it leads nowhere.

Paying picks to speed up the development process or to unload cap in order to sign other players is absolute idiocy.

You’re sacrificing future talent on cheap ELC’s to dump cap in order to sign expensive UFA’s or hope that another teams failed propsect somehow develops here. 

All you’re doing is kicking the can down the road while giving up a chance to draft elite talent. You’re just creating future cap issues with the poor contracts you ultimately end up obtaining with those trades. :picard:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
  • There it is 1

On 5/26/2023 at 7:40 PM, Coconuts said:

We'll see, Tochett undeniably came in when the schedule was softer and coaching bumps aren't unusual

Let's see how they actually play next season, and we'll see what management does prior to training camp 

Might be one of the worst timed hires in recent memory.

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

Might be one of the worst timed hires in recent memory.

Not really. We needed a coach (with his assistants) to implement a proper scheme and to make all players follow it. Those games Tocchet coached last season were super important to getting all the players to buy on to playing with a definite structure while playing the right way. With our elite core keeping scoring chances as a saw off will result in a lot of wins for us. 

2 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Agreed, I get it but I'd have rather let Bruce ride out the season, we'd likely be picking top 6

Not going to be much difference in this draft from picks 4-15. Lots of really good prospects who could be picked a bit later that end up being great players, and even better than the guys selected earlier. 
There’s a top 3

Then there’s a big group. We will get a great prospect at 11. 

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Not really. We needed a coach (with his assistants) to implement a proper scheme and to make all players follow it. Those games Tocchet coached last season were super important to getting all the players to buy on to playing with a definite structure while playing the right way. With our elite core keeping scoring chances as a saw off will result in a lot of wins for us. 

It's not that I don't like the hire(s) but the timing was terrible, they could have even waited 3 more weeks and been better off. He came in at the start of the easiest portion of the schedule. The coaching bump would have been put to better use next season. Those wins did nothing except drop us from drafting 6th or 7th to now drafting 11th. Reinbacher, a player who fits this team's needs perfectly, will very likely be gone. We will see who goes between 6-10, and who we end up with 11 (still likely to be a decent player). I'm sure many of us will be wishing we picked a few spots earlier.

1 minute ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

It's not that I don't like the hire(s) but the timing was terrible, they could have even waited 3 more weeks and been better off. He came in at the start of the easiest portion of the schedule. The coaching bump would have been put to better use next season. Those wins did nothing except drop us from drafting 6th or 7th to now drafting 11th. Reinbacher, a player who fits this team's needs perfectly, will very likely be gone. We will see who goes between 6-10, and who we end up with 11 (still likely to be a decent player). I'm sure many of us will be wishing we picked a few spots earlier.

There was no coaching bump. The club improved because we got a healthy Demko back and proper schemes were implemented. Bruce Boudreau had a coaching bump. Big difference in the two coaches’ starts. 
We are will be 23 games over .500 

50-27-5 = 105 points. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wanless said:

Kravtsov also just signed a 2 year contact in the KHL

We’ve seen how that plays out

Yep. Shades of Valeri Nichushkin... YUCK!!!

Edited by coryberg
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, coryberg said:

Yep. Shades of Valeri Nichushkin... YUK!!!

Good comparison.

Went to the KHL for two seasons before coming back and ultimately discovering his game at age 26.

The good news is Kravstov is a bit older than Nichushkin was so hopefully he’s a bit more mature?

Either way we don’t need Kravstov to pan out it would be a nice surprise though. Perfect timing to need a young impact player if all goes well.

To me the best deal would be us trading 

Brock,Myers and thrown in Rathbone

Myers would be the futures until his bonus is signed.He might not want to go then what?

But I'd take a second from them for both Brock and Rathbone.With Myers in there we give them a 4th for a 3rd.

No firsts going anywhere unless someone takes OEL and we get a pick back.But again don't think he wants to go.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Good comparison.

Went to the KHL for two seasons before coming back and ultimately discovering his game at age 26.

The good news is Kravstov is a bit older than Nichushkin was so hopefully he’s a bit more mature?

Either way we don’t need Kravstov to pan out it would be a nice surprise though. Perfect timing to need a young impact player if all goes well.

Yeah I'm definitely not betting on Kravtsov becoming Nichushkin 2.0 but for someone to write him off at age 23 is ridiculous. Either way I think Kravtsov has a better chance of making the NHL in the future than a 2026 7th round pick.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Not going to be much difference in this draft from picks 4-15. Lots of really good prospects who could be picked a bit later that end up being great players, and even better than the guys selected earlier. 
There’s a top 3

Then there’s a big group. We will get a great prospect at 11. 

Not so sure I agree about 4-15 at all but we can agree to disagree

We will get a great prospect if our management doesn't trade it away 

4 hours ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

Said every team every year who didn’t pick first (except those picking 2 who wouldn’t be looking a few spots up, only one).

1 minute ago, zimmy said:

Said every team every year who didn’t pick first (except those picking 2 who wouldn’t be looking a few spots up, only one).

Not really. The Canucks were in a unique situation with a hurt goalie and an expiring coach contract who was a fan fav. Hughes shouldn't have been playing 27mins per night, Demko shouldn't have started 85% of the games. But we are where we are and no point in beating a dead horse. Hopefully we get the steal of the draft at 11.

• Cheers 1