19OA - Evgeny Svechnikov

35OA - Sebastian Aho

2009:

11OA - Ryan Ellis

19OA - Chris Kreider

2003:

11OA - Jeff Carter

19OA - Ryan Getzlaf

It doesn't happen very often, but it does happen on occasion where the 19OA pick turns out better than the 11OA pick.  Also, there have been some occasions where if you add the 35OA pick to the 19OA pick then the trade becomes lopsided in favour of the trade.  2015 and 2016 are 2 years in a row whereby if you had the 19OA + the 35OA picks you would have been way better off than if you had kept the 11OA pick...

You sure you not looking at the wrong svechnikov? The one drafted by detroit is like borderline nhler and crouse is a nhl regular with 3x the points

I’m not against trading down but it have to be way more than just garland. Garland can play at least and at worse I think just need a 2nd attached to move him. So instead of just moving garland and say a 2nd you move garland and drop 8 spots in the draft. Not worth it imo. We can’t just assume because other teams have once in a while drafted good players at 19 or there’s even good players available at 19 Canucks will do the same. This team in the last 20 years have drafted poorly outside the top 8 with their 1st rounders vs what was available I mean sure 11 still outside top 8 but chances of a concensus higher end player is higher than at 19 where it’s prolly spin the wheel 

• Cheers 2

11 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I'd only do this if OEL and Myers are going the other way. Players like Garland and Beauliver could be traded without needing to add a pick. 

The difference between 11th and 19th is taking on Myers and OEL contracts?  
If that were the case, it would have been done long ago.  
It would take a bunch of 1sts just to get out of OEL, let alone add myers 

• There it is 1

1 minute ago, D.B Cooper said:

The difference between 11th and 19th is taking on Myers and OEL contracts?  
If that were the case, it would have been done long ago.  
It would take a bunch of 1sts just to get out of OEL, let alone add myers 

Thank you Benning :picard:

35 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I don’t mind trading down if we can dump Boeser and get a 2nd/or equivalent prospect on top of 19th. 

Chicago has a pretty nice prospect pool and they got Colton Dach who’s a big C playing in the WHL, going to the memorial Cup. Brother of Kirby Dach. Not their best prospect but a quality one who’s a former 2nd round pick in 2021 and is closer in development than anyone we’d draft with the supposed 2nd. 

Boeser would free up the most cap besides OEL and Myers is gone in a year so it would help us moving forward. 

Boeser + 11th overall 

for 

Colton Dach, 19th overall, 45th overall 

That sounds like a great deal for both sides. I like it a lot, although I still only pull the trigger if Michkov and Benson are gone. 

2 hours ago, Provost said:

Can you provide your citation as evidence for that?  

All current reports are that they haven’t retired or even ruled out next season.  Just the possibility of them coming back during the season handcuffs us in terms of offseason moves as knowing they would be on the roster.
How about Poolman’s extra year?

Come on man. I know you are smarter than you let on.

Poolman has only played 4 games in the past 482 days. Can you name a player who has missed as much time with concussion symptoms who has made a comeback? 

Even if by some insane chance he was deemed healthy enough to play we could send him down to Abby and his cap hit would be 1.35 million. 

As for Pearson he has had 6 or 7 surgeries and chances are he won't be back for next season. Once again if by some chance he does return his cap would only be 2.1 million if sent to Abby.

We aren't in a position to be throwing away assets for insurance against things that are highly improbable and not difficult to deal with In the unlikely even they do happen.

• Wat 1

9 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Boeser + 11th overall 

for 

That sounds like a great deal for both sides. I like it a lot, although I still only pull the trigger if Michkov and Benson are gone. 

A simple 11 for 19+45 and dumping, say, Myers makes a lot of sense.  Heck, moving down a few spots for the 19th and a 2nd could make sense on its own, in a vacuum, given our lack of a 2nd.

However, when you think Chicago will want to land a legit top-6 winger to play with Bedard it starts to get interesting.  

Can we do the pick swap AND add an interesting piece?  

But then I think:

Do we talk to Chicago about just moving them Brock for a 2nd?  That solves our offseason crunch and we’ll have 10 mil in Myers and Beauvillier coming off next offseason for Petey’s raise.

Then we keep the 11th where we likely land a blue chipper.

Edited by ilduce39
  • Cheers 2

1 minute ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Boeser + 11th overall 

for 

I’d like that deal for sure. It might be a bit much for Hawks liking. 

Our situation puts us in a position where it may be unlikely to get a fair deal when clearing cap so I am not sure we’d get that much. It really depends on a lot of things, like how much value moving to 11th is and how much our situation dampens deals with us moving out cap. Things we don’t know and that are hard to tell/predict. 

Getting a quality C prospect that’s closer to making the lineup would be a smart way to help address the 3rd C position long term. Having both Dach and Raty would give us a pretty good shot at developing one. That was my mindset with it. 

Then we could use the 19th overall to draft a D and come out of the draft with both a C and D after the trade addressing two needs long term. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ilduce39 said:

A simple 11 for 19+45 and dumping, say, Myers makes a lot of sense.  Heck, moving down a few spots for the 19th and a 2nd could make sense on its own, in a vacuum, given our lack of a 2nd.

However, when you think Chicago will want to land a legit top-6 winger to play with Bedard it starts to get interesting.  

Can we do the pick swap AND add an interesting piece?  

But then I think:

Do we talk to Chicago about just moving them Brock for a 2nd?  That solves our offseason crunch and we’ll have 10 mil in Myers and Beauvillier coming off next offseason for Petey’s raise.

Then we keep the 11th where we likely land a blue chipper.

I prefer Boeser as I think Garland brings more bang for his buck and Myers expires sooner. Clearing more cap by 2024 off-season.

We also have a plethora of wingers both on the roster and in the system. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

11 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I prefer Boeser as I think Garland brings more bang for his buck and Myers expires sooner. Clearing more cap by 2024 off-season.

We also have a plethora of wingers both on the roster and in the system. 

For sure.  Brock has been a consistent point producer and has played top line, head to head roles in the past.  He’s 26.  If you have the cap space, would be a pretty awesome low-cost (asset wise) addition for the hawks for a short 2 year commitment. 

Seems like something could be done there without the pick-swap.  Would be nice if we could land a 2nd while we’re at it, too.

1 hour ago, coryberg said:

Come on man. I know you are smarter than you let on.

Poolman has only played 4 games in the past 482 days. Can you name a player who has missed as much time with concussion symptoms who has made a comeback? 

Sidney Crosby Reaction GIF

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Any GM who even considers a buyout with that much dead cap is unfit for any job in hockey ops and needs to be fired on the spot.  I want Rutherford and Allvin gone, but the long-term damage they would do with a move that stupid is too high of a price even if it drives them out of town.

We've disagreed in the past, but yeah I'm not down for long term dead cap. 

A year or two, maybe. 

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

A year or two, maybe. 

One year max.  Anything else is absolutely unacceptable under any circumstances.  We've already seen the havoc it does thanks to Gillis and Benning choosing to cripple the franchise with dead cap.

6 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Maybe I'm crazy, but I feel like 11 is close to equal 19 + 2nd rounder--maybe just a bit unfavourable for us. Adding in an entire contract that's expensive like OEL seems like almost a 0% move. Myers is a lot more reasonable since he's just got one year left on his deal and is a bit cheaper, but even that might require some retention on our end.

I just don't see the point of moving Myers. As you say, he only has 1 year left. Let his contract run out and call it a day. We are short on RHD anyway. If anything, this is the draft to try to trade Boeser for a late first/early 2nd

• Cheers 1

33 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

A year or two, maybe. 

I can almost guarantee that OEL will come back healthy and hungry, have a great season, and we will be arguing that he's actually almost worth his 7.2 million, especially after some lessser d-men sign for 5 million per year this summer.  

Then in 2024-25, OEL will have another yo-yo year where his health won't be perfect and we will be talking buyout.  

At that point, a 2 year cheap buyout will be a real option and might be on the table.  

3 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

I can almost guarantee that OEL will come back healthy and hungry, have a great season, and we will be arguing that he's actually almost worth his 7.2 million, especially after some lessser d-men sign for 5 million per year this summer.  

Then in 2024-25, OEL will have another yo-yo year where his health won't be perfect and we will be talking buyout.  

At that point, a 2 year cheap buyout will be a real option and might be on the table.  

Best case scenario for a buyout. I'd rather some shorter term pain than longer term dead cap. 

6 hours ago, eeeeergh said:

i dont see them being that stupid though

nothing theyve done tells me this group would pull something like that

even in the dickinson cap dump that cost a 2nd rounder, they got stillman (yikes) and then managed to turn stillman into Bloom who was a 3rd rounder and still looks like he belonged as a 3rd round pick

this group is very stingy with their resources

one might point to giving up the 1st for hronek but

i look at it more like they turned horvat + a 2nd into hronek, raty, beauvillier + a 4th

which as lateral trades go is a great one

Without knowing the trade return, we have no idea if it's "stupid". My point is that management has made it very clear they plan to compete now. If they can move off IR (or other inefficient) dollars and move down a few spots while adding a 2nd...it isn't inherently "stupid" and helps achieve the goal of improving/competing sooner than later.

Am I going to complain if it's something like 11OA, Garland & Poolman for 19OA, a 2nd, and Tinordi or similar? Nope.

Especially if all the players they have ranked around 11 that are left, are W'ers.

Edited by aGENT

14 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I'd only do this if OEL and Myers are going the other way. Players like Garland and Beauliver could be traded without needing to add a pick. 

We already got Jones and Murphy eating salary cap for years to come.

Why add another anchor for the next 4 years? Plus Ekman Larsson is not waiving to come and join the dumpster fire.

Myers is a pylon but only has 1 year left so that’s more palatable.

If anything happens it will be to get a winger to help Bedard.