The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) Canucks Blackhawks at the draft

So throw more of the future away to try and fix throwing the future away.

This team is run like a dog chasing.

Cue the experts that’ll justify it, oddly mostly the same ones that advocated signing Myers and the OEL trade. (Shocking) 

bad enough they screwed them selves out of a top pick let’s go all in and get a long shot 1st rounder that might be nhl ready in 4 years.
Then they ask why don’t we have any good young prospects or depth at any position. 

To funny. 

50 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Am I going to complain if it's something like 11OA, Garland & Poolman for 19OA, a 2nd, and Tinordi or similar? Nope.

I mean it's a fair deal, but we should just leave Poolman on LTIR and see if we can find a cheaper deal somewhere else.  

Vegas shipped out Shea Weber and his 7.8 million x 3 years left on LTIR for a 5th round pick.  

Montreal took on one year of 5 million/year Dadonov in exchange for the same Weber contract.  

I don't think that we should be tripping over ourselves to get rid of LTIR money for a premium.  

Blackawhs with 41M in cap space lol. I'm not a fan of trading an 11th overall pick in such a deep draft, but I wonder if we swing for the fences here and trade next year's 1st or the year after that, to get rid of OEL? I can live with Myers in the short-term but that OEL anchor will hurt us eventually. JB would have the balls to do this, for worse more than for the better, but maybe Allvin assumes that with all these acquisitions and us playing better, we will be a solid playoff team so the first next year will be a 20-onwards one?

Straight up - OEL + 2024 1st to Chicago for nothing (maybe they wanna chuck us a B-grade prospect?)

With that 7M cap space, we sign Gavrikov 5.5M x 5 years and Kampf 2M

If Chicago know they aren't contending for a while, they might as well take on OEL (not just as a veteran for the kids coming through but maybe he helps keep them in the basement?), and they're clearly trying to snatch up picks. Meanwhile, the Canucks assume if they make this swap, they'll be a top-half team and that first won't be too good a player. Consequentially we have to keep our 1st this year, can't go consecutive years without top picks.

Edited by DownUndaCanuck

1 hour ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Blackawhs with 41M in cap space lol. I'm not a fan of trading an 11th overall pick in such a deep draft, but I wonder if we swing for the fences here and trade next year's 1st or the year after that, to get rid of OEL? I can live with Myers in the short-term but that OEL anchor will hurt us eventually. JB would have the balls to do this, for worse more than for the better, but maybe Allvin assumes that with all these acquisitions and us playing better, we will be a solid playoff team so the first next year will be a 20-onwards one?

Straight up - OEL + 2024 1st to Chicago for nothing (maybe they wanna chuck us a B-grade prospect?)

If Chicago know they aren't contending for a while, they might as well take on OEL (not just as a veteran for the kids coming through but maybe he helps keep them in the basement?), and they're clearly trying to snatch up picks. Meanwhile, the Canucks assume if they make this swap, they'll be a top-half team and that first won't be too good a player. Consequentially we have to keep our 1st this year, can't go consecutive years without top picks.

Remember Marleau cost the Leafs a 13th Overall (Seth Jarvis) with 1 year remaining (which they bought out).  OEL would first have to waive his NMC + cost multiple 1st round picks and maybe even cap retention. 

If Aqua man isnt willing to use a buyout, Canucks are going to get bent over paying assets trying to get rid of 1-2 of the bad contracts.  The other option is to trade a value player (Demko, Petterson, Hughes) which probably isnt happening.  

Canucks probably have to be creative and do a 3 team trade with cap retentions involved.  We need to move off of at least 2 bad contracts, either 2 wingers or 1 winger and 1 Dman.  Calgary likes former Canucks and needs a top 6 winger and have too many Dmen with no cap space, although they could probably move off Vladar maybe to Carolina or something.  Canucks-Hawks-Flames?  Canucks-Hawks-Kings?  

Edited by amplified0ne

14 hours ago, BigTramFan said:

This is not the draft to drop from 11OA to 19OA or worse.

We need to realise that the 2023 is projected to be an excellent draft at the top end of the draft (i.e. the first 15 picks). After that, the quality drops to similar levels of previous drafts. Here is a projection illustrating this:

Could contain: Chart, Line Chart, Smoke Pipe 

These guys are projecting that picking at 11OA in 2023 is similar to picking at 6OA or 7OA from recent drafts. 

However, once you get out to 19OA, the 2023 draft class is rated very similarly to 2022 and 2021 draft cohorts.

I tried to communicate this in another thread, same topic, same article.   The top 12 are considered slam dunks more or less, after that the draft quickly drops off into the normal range.   Actually have been saying this all year, this is a good draft based on the quality at the top end of the draft.  Mid to late firsts are not like drafting 10, and second rounders are not like mid to late firsts,  which an element on the CDC has somehow locked onto and been parroting since September.    11th this year is like drafting 6-7th though.    Thanks for illustrating this.   We are still in a very good position to pick a good player.   That drops significantly at 19.    Pretty sure the CHI article even touches on this, that there is a dozen or so guys this year at a different tier, then there is a drop off.    Sure in a "normal " draft, take the deal and run.    Also get Allvin needs to shed cap and maybe this is worth it.   An 11th likely is ready to play after one year.     Like most 6-7th's.    QHs for example.  Horvat at 9 another example.    That's the sort of player we have good odds of drafting at 11.     Not an easy decision, both have merits.   Allvin did state he's looking at adding a second.    Wouldn't it be smarter to try and trade Beau or Garland straight across for that, and keep his 11th? 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Alflives said:

I think it would be Boeser or Garland added to 11OA. Hawks are going to need a guy to play with Bedard, so I could see them wanting Boeser. Plus, Brock has only 2 years left on his deal, and he's a great guy. Could even have Bedard live with Brock for those two years. 

I agree I dont see the point in moving down in the draft if the cap relief is guys wth 1 year left on their contracts (I.e. Myers, Pearson, Poolman, Beauvellier). If we pull the trigger on something like this it'll be Boeser, Garland or (pipe dream) OEL

Edited by bh90

4 hours ago, amplified0ne said:

Remember Marleau cost the Leafs a 13th Overall (Seth Jarvis) with 1 year remaining (which they bought out).  OEL would first have to waive his NMC + cost multiple 1st round picks and maybe even cap retention. 

If Aqua man isnt willing to use a buyout, Canucks are going to get bent over paying assets trying to get rid of 1-2 of the bad contracts.  The other option is to trade a value player (Demko, Petterson, Hughes) which probably isnt happening.  

Canucks probably have to be creative and do a 3 team trade with cap retentions involved.  We need to move off of at least 2 bad contracts, either 2 wingers or 1 winger and 1 Dman.  Calgary likes former Canucks and needs a top 6 winger and have too many Dmen with no cap space, although they could probably move off Vladar maybe to Carolina or something.  Canucks-Hawks-Flames?  Canucks-Hawks-Kings?  

I also think one option for the canucks is making hockey trades where you're not sheding cap but just relocating the cap to different positions.

Christian Dvorak in Montreal played eally well under Tocchet. If Tocchet is a fan of him maybe the Canucks will try a Boeser or Garland for Dvorak type deal. All 3 players could use a change. VAN would get their 3C and Montreal would get a 2RW to play with Dach. Boeser could also be PP1 in Montreal.

Tyler Myers + prospect for Dennis Savard?

I'm sure there's more players out there I'm not thinking odd that are in same situation as Garland, Boeser and Myers and we could look at swapping so both teams get players with fresh starts.

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

why would OEL want to go there?

10 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

I mean it's a fair deal, but we should just leave Poolman on LTIR and see if we can find a cheaper deal somewhere else.  

Vegas shipped out Shea Weber and his 7.8 million x 3 years left on LTIR for a 5th round pick.  

Montreal took on one year of 5 million/year Dadonov in exchange for the same Weber contract.  

I don't think that we should be tripping over ourselves to get rid of LTIR money for a premium.  

Sure. Or maybe it's Garland + Myers instead. Point is, you can make this trade, have it not be "stupid", add picks (not subtract them), free space, and have it suit the "compete now" mantra that management has decided on.

Especially if there's only wingers left ranked around 11.

Edited by aGENT

7 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Why would he waive?

More importantly.  For a team that after a literal decade of drafting top 10 barring the Boeser year and Lekkerimaki last year; that has been a perennial loser barring the covid bubble that has literally zero cap space or prospects or hope for the future with only two young stars in petey and hughes; why does it make sense to again just jettison picks to get rid of a contract that might simply have been injured or underperforming?

We need to get out of this mindset and in a hurry.  We will never acquire the depth or draft capital we need to get out of this perpetual hole of failure and sub mediocrity if we keep doing the exact same thing

• Cheers 2

11 hours ago, combover said:

So throw more of the future away to try and fix throwing the future away.

This team is run like a dog chasing.

Cue the experts that’ll justify it, oddly mostly the same ones that advocated signing Myers and the OEL trade. (Shocking) 

bad enough they screwed them selves out of a top pick let’s go all in and get a long shot 1st rounder that might be nhl ready in 4 years.
Then they ask why don’t we have any good young prospects or depth at any position. 

To funny. 

Did something happen? 

Depends entirely on who is available at 11, and which contract(s) would be going back. 

If Benson or Sandin-Pellikka are available at 11 and they make this trade, I'd probably be pretty upset.

If OEL is going to Chicago... maybe less upset. But would he even waive his NMC for that? 

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, awalk said:

Depends entirely on who is available at 11, and which contract(s) would be going back. 

If Benson or Sandin-Pellikka are available at 11 and they make this trade, I'd probably be pretty upset.

If OEL is going to Chicago... maybe less upset. But would he even waive his NMC for that? 

I feel similarly but with Dvorsky and Reinbacher. If both of those guys are gone a trade down from 11 to 19 + 35 is already close to even value so also dumping a Boeser or Garland contract would be solid. Ideally we would actually get something back for our redundant wingers, but in a capped-out NHL clearing the cap space has value in and of itself. 

• Cheers 2

5 hours ago, bh90 said:

I also think one option for the canucks is making hockey trades where you're not sheding cap but just relocating the cap to different positions.

Christian Dvorak in Montreal played eally well under Tocchet. If Tocchet is a fan of him maybe the Canucks will try a Boeser or Garland for Dvorak type deal. All 3 players could use a change. VAN would get their 3C and Montreal would get a 2RW to play with Dach. Boeser could also be PP1 in Montreal.

Tyler Myers + prospect for Dennis Savard?

I'm sure there's more players out there I'm not thinking odd that are in same situation as Garland, Boeser and Myers and we could look at swapping so both teams get players with fresh starts.

Beauvillier (or Boeser) + Myers + 11OA for 19OA + Murphy. Chicago gets rid of a longer term contract on an aging player outside of their compete window, move up, and get two pending free agents they can flip at the deadline. 

Garland for Johansson + 46OA. Nashville gets a more productive player on a cheaper salary. Johansson comes home, gets a change of scenery - only two years remaining on contract. We get a good albeit overpriced 2nd line centre. 

These moves upgrade our right side D, centre, plus we backfill our missing 2nd round pick and save 2.6M in cap space. 

Cap out =  15M
Cap in = 12.4M

23 minutes ago, canucklehead44 said:

Beauvillier (or Boeser) + Myers + 11OA for 19OA + Murphy. Chicago gets rid of a longer term contract on an aging player outside of their compete window, move up, and get two pending free agents they can flip at the deadline. 

Garland for Johansson + 46OA. Nashville gets a more productive player on a cheaper salary. Johansson comes home, gets a change of scenery - only two years remaining on contract. We get a good albeit overpriced 2nd line centre. 

These moves upgrade our right side D, centre, plus we backfill our missing 2nd round pick and save 2.6M in cap space. 

Cap out =  15M
Cap in = 12.4M

So in essence, we'd be giving up the asset in AB + the 11th for...an aging non productive RHD with term on a 4.4 million contract and the 19th and the reasoning behind it is to also give them Myers who is off the books immediately?

Not sure I like that.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

12 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Swinging for the fences to dump a guy that already cost us a 9th overall, and will need a replacement anyways.    Is Graves really going to be that much better?   And OEL has to agree to move.   It's just not going to happen.   Might as well send get well soon cards instead. 

Silovs is amazing , stopped 40 of 41 to beat Sweden and take Latvia to the Final.

Demko - Boeser ( add Hoglander or Garland) and our 2023 1st rnd pick

for: the Blackhawks 2023 1st rnd pick 

(Bedard)

• Haha 1