The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) Canucks Blackhawks at the draft

15 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Silovs is amazing , stopped 40 of 41 to beat Sweden and take Latvia to the Final.

Demko - Boeser ( add Hoglander or Garland) and our 2023 1st rnd pick

for: the Blackhawks 2023 1st rnd pick 

(Bedard)

And 3 more 1st round picks and they only just laugh at you. The made tens of millions of dollars off this kid already, and they haven't even drafted him yet. Lol.

40 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Silovs is amazing , stopped 40 of 41 to beat Sweden and take Latvia to the Final.

Demko - Boeser ( add Hoglander or Garland) and our 2023 1st rnd pick

for: the Blackhawks 2023 1st rnd pick 

(Bedard)

No way CHI trades the 1st overall.

However, that package might land CBJ #1 pick.  I think Demko is what CBJ needs most.  Merzlikins was just terrible in net.

2 minutes ago, BPA said:

No way CHI trades the 1st overall.

However, that package might land CBJ #1 pick.  I think Demko is what CBJ needs most.  Merzlikins was just terrible in net.

That Carlsson guy couldn't even score on Silovs  - they would have a Latvian netminder duo if we give up Silovs in a package for their 3rd OA. Elvis could mentor him :) 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, N7Nucks said:

And 3 more 1st round picks and they only just laugh at you. The made tens of millions of dollars off this kid already, and they haven't even drafted him yet. Lol.

You can have a McDavid, Mathews, or a Bedard on your team,.

but if you don’t have Goaltending , you don’t sniff a cup..

Goaltending is severely overlooked in this league until it comes time to compete for the Stanley Cup.

Mrazrek is UFA in a year ,  and Stalock is one.

Demko is an excellent goalie worth a top pick to any team rebuilding.

Silovs will push Demko out within the next 2 seasons, and Koskenvuo will be not far behind that..

it’s hockey , and anything can happen.

Edited by SilentSam
  • There it is 2

3 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Goaltending is severely overlooked in this league until it comes time to compete for the Stanley Cup.

Silovs will push Demko out within the next 2 seasons, and Koskenvuo will be not far behind that..

I agree strongly with all of this.  (Well aside from Silovs pushing out Demko since I am not bold enough for that kind of prediction)

The thing about goaltending is that it's REALLY weird and teams are hesitant to commit to them due to the weirdness.  Bobrovsky for example.  He was seen as a HORRIBLE contract and then all of a sudden...  Where the hell did that come from??  On the opposite side you have Jake Oettinger who seemed like the greatest thing since sliced bread. (an underrated expression.  seriously!  pre-sliced bread is the bomb and nobody thinks about it!)  All of a sudden what happened to him?  

I just don't see any team investing in Demko regardless of how good he is.  (I also just couldn't bring myself to type "irregardless" no matter how much I wanted to keep up the CDC tradition)

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Chicken. said:

Much rather wait just Myers' contract out for a year.... he's serviceable as depth if we can keep him out of a top 4 role

Yeah.. Myers and Beauvillier don't make a ton of sense to me (unless it is to acquire assets) to move.  Their contracts are up after a year and then the cap is dealt with.  (which also might be a reason why they have value closer to the TDL)  We don't need to accomplish everything next year.  We simply need to improve on last year.  No need for short term 1 year solutions unless it also benefits the future, as far as I'm concerned.   

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1
  • There it is 1

48 minutes ago, Chicken. said:

Much rather wait just Myers' contract out for a year.... he's serviceable as depth if we can keep him out of a top 4 role

Did we just give up a 9th overall and a 2nd and more just to offload 1 year of 3 mediocre contracts while picking up an extra large one?

I'm with you my man.  Wait it out

• There it is 1

1 hour ago, Cameron88188 said:

To Van - 19th OA To - Chicago 11th OA n 6 mil Myers. Chicago can flip Myers at the TDL for a mid round pick n we get the cap savings.

Fans are really okay with us doing this again??

Will Ferrell Crazy Pills GIF

How can we have a season like that, lose out on Bedard with a meaningless win streak at the end, only to trade a prime pick yet again to dump cap space after spending money we didn’t have??

• Huggy Bear 1
  • There it is 1

2 hours ago, SilentSam said:

It's easier to find a goalie than it is to find a Bedard. That's all I know.

6 hours ago, Warhippy said:

So in essence, we'd be giving up the asset in AB + the 11th for...an aging non productive RHD with term on a 4.4 million contract and the 19th and the reasoning behind it is to also give them Myers who is off the books immediately?

Not sure I like that.

Murphy is a very good defensive defenseman and brings size at 6'4 212 (160 hits) - he is worth more than AB/Boeser/Garland. And he isn't that old - just turned 30, with 3 years remaining. So it isn't like he is a cap dump - he makes our D better. Could be a great partner for Hughes or play on the right side of a shutdown pair. 

Could contain: Boy, Male, Person, Teen, Text, Face, Head

• Cheers 1

14 hours ago, IBatch said:

I tried to communicate this in another thread, same topic, same article.   The top 12 are considered slam dunks more or less, after that the draft quickly drops off into the normal range.   Actually have been saying this all year, this is a good draft based on the quality at the top end of the draft.  Mid to late firsts are not like drafting 10, and second rounders are not like mid to late firsts,  which an element on the CDC has somehow locked onto and been parroting since September.    11th this year is like drafting 6-7th though.    Thanks for illustrating this.   We are still in a very good position to pick a good player.   That drops significantly at 19.    Pretty sure the CHI article even touches on this, that there is a dozen or so guys this year at a different tier, then there is a drop off.    Sure in a "normal " draft, take the deal and run.    Also get Allvin needs to shed cap and maybe this is worth it.   An 11th likely is ready to play after one year.     Like most 6-7th's.    QHs for example.  Horvat at 9 another example.    That's the sort of player we have good odds of drafting at 11.     Not an easy decision, both have merits.   Allvin did state he's looking at adding a second.    Wouldn't it be smarter to try and trade Beau or Garland straight across for that, and keep his 11th? 

Just out of interest who do you consider the top 12 slam dunks in the upcoming draft ?

I do agree that the talent at the top is exceptional and there is depth however after the " big 5" the next 15 or so are all over the place in mock drafts.

• Cheers 1

47 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

It's easier to find a goalie than it is to find a Bedard. That's all I know.

Did someone tell TO or Edmonton that too I wonder?

Edmonton was supposed to be the best of West ?

And in the East ,Toronto as well ..

Boston basically burnt out ,.  Played hard for that record and got bit .

1 hour ago, canucklehead44 said:

Murphy is a very good defensive defenseman and brings size at 6'4 212 (160 hits) - he is worth more than AB/Boeser/Garland. And he isn't that old - just turned 30, with 3 years remaining. So it isn't like he is a cap dump - he makes our D better. Could be a great partner for Hughes or play on the right side of a shutdown pair. 

One thing’s for certain: if we’re running Hronek and Bear we sure could use a bigger body as our other RD.  Particularly one to ride shotgun with Hughes. Murphy would be a low key nice addition.

If Chicago isn’t on Myers’ NTC it’s actually a fairly interesting proposal. We’d be clearing about 5+ mil in cap as well to make a signing or two in FA or wiggle room in trade.  Would be nice to land Soucy as 3LD.

Hughes-Murphy

OEL-Hronek

Soucy-Bear

is an OEL bounce-back from being a legit D corps.

Edit: and if he doesn’t bounce back, Soucy could bump up with Hronek and you’ve got Brisebois or Hirose playing with Bear.   Still not bad.

Edited by ilduce39

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Fans are really okay with us doing this again??

Will Ferrell Crazy Pills GIF

How can we have a season like that, lose out on Bedard with a meaningless win streak at the end, only to trade a prime pick yet again to dump cap space after spending money we didn’t have??

no will crying GIF by bypriyashah

• Haha 1

On 5/24/2023 at 12:10 PM, N7Nucks said:

If Dvorsky and Reinbacher are gone, I don't mind trading down and getting a couple picks and even dumping a contract. Willander at 19, couple 2nd rounders and we move Garland's contract? Absolute win. But only if Dvorsky and Reinbacher are gone at 11. For me. I don't know what the team's draft board looks like. As an uninformed loser that only has scouting reports and draft rankings. I like Dvorsky and Reinbacher the most around our pick.

Drafting once in the first two rounds has me uneasy. So if we can trade down and move Garland and draft three times in the first two rounds I feel a lot better. We take their 2nd rounder it's almost like getting a late 1st round pick. Take Willander and Cam Allen or Bonk if he goes in the 2nd round. We're lookin' pretty decent.

It’s funny, the very first name that came to my mind when I heard this rumour was Willander. I think this guy would be the perfect target with the 19th pick.

There’s going to be so many good players to be had in the second round. Walking away with Willander and possibly Bonk or Minnetian for example could really help us shore up our lack of RHD depth. 

PS I’m also a very big fan of Reinbacher and Dvorsky. I really like ASP too. I’d be very happy if we landed any of them with the 11th pick. 

Edited by YearoftheNuck

On 5/24/2023 at 1:15 PM, VancouverHabitant said:

Yeah I would only do this deal once it's time for our pick.  

Imagine if any one of Benson, Michkov, Dvorsky, or Reinbacher are still available?!? 

Quality over quantity for me. 

Absolutely we would have to wait for our turn to

pick to decide if we want to do this trade. I think there’s a good chance that a big name will fall

in this loaded draft. I could see a team being mesmerized by a big player like Wood (and rightfully so) and possibly causing a little guy like Benson to fall to us. If Benson is there, my goodness we take him and run. A potential franchise player right there. 

4 hours ago, canucklehead44 said:

I'm a little wary of Murphy. 29 & has 4 years left. He was brought in back in 2016 to be a young emerging top 4 that could extend the core & he hasn't helped drive Chicago at all. If he doesn't fit great here we are looking at another Dickinson situation. And Toronto just paid assets for Jake McCabe & he doesn't look like much more than a so-so 4/5.

I was thinking 11th + Boeser for 19th + 35th + another pick (3rd/4th) could make sense, but if we are adding money in Murphy I think we'd have to throw another contract in. I just don't see how it works otherwise. The point of paying this to move money is to be able to add a 3C or find a Marino/Toews type deal imo.

9 hours ago, Ilunga said:

Just out of interest who do you consider the top 12 slam dunks in the upcoming draft ?

I do agree that the talent at the top is exceptional and there is depth however after the " big 5" the next 15 or so are all over the place in mock drafts.

Will wait until I've seen ISS and THN final rankings.    ISS is pretty consistent, it's their only job, use actual scouts and I at least, consider it a good reference because it's not a hockey personalities list.   With respect to all especially Button and McKenzie, they aren't actually going to watch these guys much...they are insiders and likely do contact NHL team scouts for opinions on guys.   THN uses ten NHL scouts and takes the average of their rankings.   As for other sources, i'm sure they can be pretty reliable too.   What i've been reading all along about this draft, going back two years and throughout the development is this is a good draft, based on the strength of the top of it - and also that are concerns around development given covid.    As in how far along this class really is.   World Juniors of course we're exciting, and as a result the orders have changed (again, happens every single year,  sometimes it hits like Hirshier, other times and just as often, it screws teams up - Poolparty and OJ).    Will get back to you.   Central Scouting has given their final ranking, for North American and International skaters , so the top 20,  suspect it won't be too far off that - but still want to see their orders as they only do BPA.   As for mock drafts, they will always be all over the place, given they consider a teams needs as well.   Do they need a LW or a RW?  Once the obvious guys are picked.   And which teams will go for a positional need and go slightly off board...

Edited by IBatch
  • Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1