The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) Canucks Blackhawks at the draft

Just heard this mentioned on the radio.  Sounds like a Chicago insider thinks they’re taking a look at our pick.  I found this https://www.hockeyfeed.com/nhl-news/blackhawks-and-canucks-linked-in-monster-draft-day-trade

Possible way to move cap and pick up a 2nd along the way?

Edit: This appears to be the source.   

The Blackhawks aren’t optimistic about their chances to move up from their second first-round pick at No. 19. Even if the Blackhawks package the No. 19 pick and a second-rounder or two, that probably isn’t enough for a team to budge from a top-15 selection. The Vancouver Canucks might be the only team that could make sense. It’s no secret the Canucks are trying to get out of a few contracts this offseason. If the Blackhawks took on one of those contracts and packaged a first- and second-round pick, maybe that would entice the Canucks to trade the No. 11 pick. There should be some really good players left on the board at 11 if the Blackhawks could do that.

- Scott Powers

Edited by Baratheon
  • Thanks 1

Don’t like it but would understand it. And only if they can take OEL and say Boeser or Garland.

I can then look forward to Boeser, who’s a good dude and person, score 50 goals on Bedard’s wing. :bigblush:

Edited by MJDDawg
  • Haha 1

Scott Powers is a writer for the Athletic based out of Chicago.  If that's what an "insider" is.  Chicago's version of Drance.  Surely he's trying hard to drum up some interest in the team he covers as it is very quiet until the draft 

• Cheers 1

but what about the other rumor that has Alviin talking to Columbus about the #3 overall so that we can snag Carlsson ? 

wouldn't we need that #11 oa to be part of that? or would we be throwing them JT or a combo of Boeser/Garland/Meyers/Beauvillieu/???

I did propose Beauvillier and 11th to Detroit for 17th Rasmussen and a 2nd rounder. Saves 2.6 mill on the cap and gets you a decent 3rd line center. Detroit doesn’t really have any decent 3rd line center options but you could maybe just straight cap space savings and find a Center in free agency. Beauvillier and 11th for 19th and 2 2nd round picks.

7 minutes ago, grumpyone said:

but what about the other rumor that has Alviin talking to Columbus about the #3 overall so that we can snag Carlsson ? 

wouldn't we need that #11 oa to be part of that? or would we be throwing them JT or a combo of Boeser/Garland/Meyers/Beauvillieu/???

Columbus would be nuts to trade #3. But it's nice to dream.

• Cheers 3

42 minutes ago, MJDDawg said:

Don’t like it but would understand it. And only if they can take OEL and say Boeser or Garland.

I can then look forward to Boeser, who’s a good dude and person, score 50 goals on Bedard’s wing. :bigblush:

36 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I'd only do this if OEL and Myers are going the other way. Players like Garland and Beauliver could be traded without needing to add a pick. 

30 minutes ago, BPA said:

CHI 19th overall + 2nd 2023 + 2nd 2024 (VAN pick)

for

VAN 11th overall + OEL + Poolman

I think this would work for both sides.

OEL isn't waiving for Chicago folks...

Some combo of Myers/Poolman/Pearson etc could work though.

• Cheers 2
  • Tanks a lot 1

7 minutes ago, grumpyone said:

It’s the 3rd overall pick. Those don’t get moved because the ceiling on those players are so high. They don’t want a 30 year old JT Miller or a handful of okay pieces. If you’re asking about the 3rd overall they’re asking for Pettersson or Hughes. I can’t see a world where Columbus wants a handful of good pieces for 1 amazing piece. I mean if we had 3rd overall would you trade it for a similar package I wouldn’t.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, flickyoursedin said:

It’s the 3rd overall pick. Those don’t get moved because the ceiling on those players are so high. They don’t want a 30 year old JT Miller or a handful of okay pieces. If you’re asking about the 3rd overall they’re asking for Pettersson or Hughes. I can’t see a world where Columbus wants a handful of good pieces for 1 amazing piece. I mean if we had 3rd overall would you trade it for a similar package I wouldn’t.

jus saying that I read that PA was working on it. 

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

No need to dump poolman and Pearson though, they will be LTIR residents this year 

There is if we don't want to be dealing with the LTIR headache and actually banking cap space for the TDL...

Edited by aGENT
  • Upvote 3

Meh, I've been looking at something like this a few months ago.  It's the easiest way to acquire a 2nd round pick this year.  Given that there are good RHD prospects towards the latter half of the 1st round and early 2nd round, this makes a lot of sense.  Bonk + Dragicevic would be a couple nice pickups to bolster our RHD prospect pool.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, aGENT said:

There is if we don't want to be dealing with the LTIR headache and actually banking cap space for the TDL...

the cost would be losing picks. not worth it - banking cap space for tdl only makes sense if we're trying to compete and want to shove a bunch of good players into our lineup at the deadline, which we shouldnt be doing for at least 2 years anyway. 

• Cheers 2

13 minutes ago, Provost said:

If we could swap our 11th for 19th, a 2nd rounder, and ditch Myers…. I do that deal any day of the week.  I doubt he waives for Chicago though.

If they take Pearson and Poolman, I do that as well.

Anything that means we can be in the game for starting to fill holes in the roster like Gavrikov/Barbashev level players.

The middle of the first round is a real crap shoot and the different lists have players all over the place.  You could make that trade AND still end up with the player you want.

I think it would be Boeser or Garland added to 11OA. Hawks are going to need a guy to play with Bedard, so I could see them wanting Boeser. Plus, Brock has only 2 years left on his deal, and he's a great guy. Could even have Bedard live with Brock for those two years. 

10 minutes ago, Provost said:

If we could swap our 11th for 19th, a 2nd rounder, and ditch Myers…. I do that deal any day of the week.  I doubt he waives for Chicago though.

If they take Pearson and Poolman, I do that as well.

Anything that means we can be in the game for starting to fill holes in the roster like Gavrikov/Barbashev level players.

The middle of the first round is a real crap shoot and the different lists have players all over the place.  You could make that trade AND still end up with the player you want.

Yeah, if the cap dump is toward that end of the spectrum, I’d be open to the trade.

Not so much if it’s Garland plus our first for 19oa and a 2nd (which is what another source suggested).

But hopefully all the talk about Garland needing a sweetener to move is just talk and nothing more. I hate the idea of any Garland trade that requires us to add.

Getting off of one of our truly bad contracts, however, would be worth moving down (and picking up a 2nd rounder).

Still could draft a very good prospect at 19th overall. And at that position, it would be easier to justify taking a bigger swing at one of the higher risk/reward types. Especially with a 2nd round pick added to the haul.

• Upvote 1