The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Let's Not Panic -- Cap Situation is NOT that Dire

Rate this topic

HKSR

48 minutes ago, DSVII said:

At this point, this team is a bottom 15 team paid like a top 3 team.

Hypotheticals and paper is fine. But we need to see it happen and we just haven't. Even the bubble run was due to a once in a lifetime pandemic pause that gave the team a play in. We still haven't seen this group succeed consistently over an 82 game stretch with an above 15th result.

Fair comment.

We do need to see it happen .We need to see our elite players, all playing like elite players right out of the gate.

This hasn’t happened in 3 years.

• Cheers 2

21 hours ago, DSVII said:

At this point, this team is a bottom 15 team paid like a top 3 team.

Hypotheticals and paper is fine. But we need to see it happen and we just haven't. Even the bubble run was due to a once in a lifetime pandemic pause that gave the team a play in. We still haven't seen this group succeed consistently over an 82 game stretch with an above 15th result.

Couldn't have said it better myself. It's easy to predict they'll be better like I see people do every year but yeah they actually have to do it.

Beauvillier-Petey-Kuzmenko

DiGiuseppe-Miller-Boeser

Mikheyev-Dries-Podkolzin

Joshua-Aman-Garland

Studnicka

Hughes-Schenn??

OEL-Hronek

Brisebois-Myers

Burroughs? Hirose?

This roster blows. That top 6 is so weak defensively. It's more likely to be bottom 10 than in the playoffs. DiGuiseppe is an AHLer on the second line. :shock: Dries is an AHLer centering the third line. :shock: Podkolzin is an AHLer at this point. Schenn is probably not back so it'll be Bear, who is terrible. :shock: Brisebois is also an AHLer :shock: As of now we have no backup unless Silovs makes the team. Martin is :shock:

21 hours ago, Honky Cat said:

It's not a bottom 10 team. The 2015-18 Canucks were a bottom 10 team. The rebuilding Blackhawks,SJS, Habs, Wings and Ducks are bottom 10 teams. The aged out Capitals and Blues are likely a bottom 10 teams.

The Canucks are what ? The 5th-6th youngest team in the league, with elite players just entering their prime years.

With the addition of Hronek, and the teams renewed commitment to to team defence (Tocchet). The D should be passable next season.

The big question is will they collapse in the first quarter of the season?  The one thing I cannot guarantee.

On paper though, I say they do have the players to compete for a playoff spot.

Respectfully disagree. Like I said though I don't expect the players I listed above to be on the roster except DiGuiseppe on the 4th or in the pressbox. With those changes we are fringe playoff team on paper, as is we are bottom 10 of the league. This is the same team that finished 11th last and all the teams around us will be getting better too. Most of them are not cap crunched like we are.

Just now, Gawdzukes said:

Couldn't have said it better myself. It's easy to predict they'll be better like I see people do every year but yeah they actually have to do it.

DiGiuseppe-Miller-Boeser

Mikheyev-Dries-Podkolzin

Joshua-Aman-Garland

Studnicka

Hughes-Schenn??

OEL-Hronek

Brisebois-Myers

Burroughs? Hirose?

This roster blows. That top 6 is so weak defensively. It's more likely to be bottom 10 than in the playoffs. DiGuiseppe is an AHLer on the second line. :shock: Dries is an AHLer centering the third line. :shock: Podkolzin is an AHLer at this point. Schenn is probably not back so it'll be Bear, who is terrible. :shock: Brisebois is also an AHLer :shock: As of now we have no backup unless Silovs makes the team. Martin is :shock:

Respectfully disagree. Like I said though I don't expect the players I listed above to be on the roster except DiGuiseppe on the 4th or in the pressbox. With those changes we are fringe playoff team on paper, as is we are bottom 10 of the league. This is the same team that finished 11th last and all the teams around us will be getting better too. Most of them are not cap crunched like we are.

Beau, Petey, Kuz

Mik, Miller, Boeser

Pods, New, Hogs

Joshua, Aman, New

Hughes, Bear

OEL, Hronek

Bone, Woo

Burroughs

Demko

Martin

105 point team for sure. 

9 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Beau, Petey, Kuz

Mik, Miller, Boeser

Pods, New, Hogs

Joshua, Aman, New

Hughes, Bear

OEL, Hronek

Bone, Woo

Burroughs

Demko

Martin

105 point team for sure. 

Hmmm, no, 83 points for sure though.

Bone sucks, he's worse than Brisebois, who wasn't too bad but he's still an AHL tweener. Woo hasn't played an NHL game in his life. That third line is made up of 3 question marks. Bear and Martin are both awful.

3 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Hmmm, no, 83 points for sure though.

Bone sucks, he's worse than Brisebois, who wasn't too bad but he's still an AHL tweener. Woo hasn't played an NHL game in his life. That third line is made up of 3 question marks. Bear and Martin are both awful.

Where is Wolanin?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Beau, Petey, Kuz

Mik, Miller, Boeser

Pods, New, Hogs

Joshua, Aman, New

Hughes, Bear

OEL, Hronek

Bone, Woo

Burroughs

Demko

Martin

105 point team for sure. 

Wolanin?

Mika?

Edited by spook007

21 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Beau, Petey, Kuz

Mik, Miller, Boeser

Pods, New, Hogs

Joshua, Aman, New

Hughes, Bear

OEL, Hronek

Bone, Woo

Burroughs

Demko

Martin

105 point team for sure. 

Replace Bear and Martin, add a legit third line center and backup, and improve that bottom pair and maybe they’re a playoff team.

• Cheers 1

Just now, spook007 said:

Where is Wolanin?

Yeah, he should be in the conversation for sure. He had a great season for us. Him and Hirose competing for the 3LD. Ideally we find some cap space and bring in another RD, even a stop gap. Currently we have Hronek, and maybe (hopefully not) Myers there with no one else capable unless Woo surprises at camp. I'm really hoping we pass on Bear somehow. He's just not good.

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Yeah, he should be in the conversation for sure. He had a great season for us. Him and Hirose competing for the 3LD. Ideally we find some cap space and bring in another RD, even a stop gap. Currently we have Hronek, and maybe (hopefully not) Myers there with no one else capable unless Woo surprises at camp. I'm really hoping we pass on Bear somehow. He's just not good.

Agree, Baer is kinda meh....lukewarm... 

• Cheers 2

9 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Who is Mika? If it’s Mikayev I call him Mik. He’s on Miller’s wing with Boeser. 

Cheers Alf, Sorry missed that. DiGuiseppe though, is signed to a great contract.

Expect him to be on the opening day roster...

Edited by spook007

On 5/26/2023 at 11:50 AM, HKSR said:

Just wanted to provide some clarity on the Canucks situation moving into next year. 

The Canucks are NOT as cap crunched and in desperate need to shed cap space like some people make them out to be.  Would it help to shed cap and improve our defence group?  OF COURSE.  But, it's very clear we could start next season with what we've got and not be pressured into making a move to dump cap (ie. VGK and Pacioretty).

This is assuming Poolman and Pearson remain on LTIR, which is a very high possibility given their medical statuses.

The lineup doesn't look great, but we could work with it and find moves within the season.  $4M in cap space to work with to fill out the defence group.  Perhaps Hoglander and Podkolzin take those next steps as well.  I don't think scoring will be an issue.  Defence is obviously the weak point.

DiGiuseppe-Miller-Boeser

Mikheyev-Dries-Podkolzin

Joshua-Aman-Garland

Studnicka

Hughes-Schenn??

OEL-Hronek

Brisebois-Myers

Burroughs? Hirose?

Demko

Backup

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Page, Text, Number, Symbol

TLDR:

- Canucks are NOT cap crunched (assuming Poolman and Pearson remain on LTIR)

- Canucks are not in a pressure situation to move out cap

- Canucks can start the season status quo, perhaps providing more opportunity for the youth in the system and make trades within the season

- $4M in cap space to fill out the defence group to start the season

Cap Friendly disagrees with you.  They are already over the cap with only 18 players on the roster.  That includes having Pearson and Poolman on LTIR.

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/canucks

Edited by Cali Canuck
more info