The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Buyout] Oliver Ekman-Larsson

16 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

I would have just traded Beauvillier.

I think this move proves we can't trade Garland or Beau without giving up at least our 2024 2nd round pick. Teams are squeezing us in trade talk. Now at least the table flups the inherent way where teams needs to give us a 3rd to get those two. 

• RoughGame 1

Just now, Smashian Kassian said:

And I thought we were finally turning a corner with Rutherford/Allvin.

They make some good additions from a pro-scouting perspective, they bring in a good coach, they beef up the development, and now this. Jim Benning-esque move.

This is even more stupid then anything Benning ever did.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Bounce000 said:

I take it the cap relieving trade negotiations aren’t going well 

I was thinking the same thing. JR and PA have concluded that they have to upgrade the D and the 3C position and they need cap space to do it. But they have been unable to find a reasonable deal to shed cap space.

This might be a good time for the OEL buyout as so many teams have cap trouble. Next summer the cap should go up significantly, But right now, with cap space, the Canucks might be able to pick up a good RD and a good 3C as cap dumps -- guys who are good players but with cap hits that are creating problems for their current teams, and maybe the Canucks can pick up a draft pick or two.

It is interesting that the Canucks are moving on OEL now (before the draft) instead of waiting for the second buyout period after the draft. Maybe that means the Canucks have something in the works to to take on the contract of a decent but overpaid player and get a pick in return. 

• Cheers 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, Outsiders said:

I wonder about a UFA player like Carson Soucy. Have always thought highly of him when I've watched him play. He's 6'5 210. Would maybe cost us 3 million? Seattle fans help me out here? Is he a bottom pairing guy or could he play next to Hronek 

The radio mentioned him as well.  I’m hoping they’re trying to be sneaky via trade rather than UFA

Just now, Coconuts said:

How this move is ultimately received will depend in part upon what they do with the cap space buying him out opens up. But yeah, if OEL goes on to look better than he did with us on another team folks aren't going to let that go any time soon. 

I think if they're doing this they need to go balls to the wall and move a winger too 

and open up giga cap space to completely re-shape the D

If youre doing this, attach a sweetener to Garland and move him too

Go get a quality 3C and top-4 D

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, HKSR said:

What the hell???  This is a really short sighted move.  Feels about the same as when Benning traded for OEL/Garland in the first place.  Really about ready to just give up watching this team and this sport.  First the expansion VGK cup win, and now this...

This management shoots itself in the foot all the time, even if OEL wasn't their trade. They didn't have to do this move, but their lack of patience is going to hurt us long term.

I'm so sad to see this PA version of Canuck hockey.

3 minutes ago, Baratheon said:

Hope it's something like this.  

It relieves any trade pressure for this year as well.  If any team wants our players then they'll probably have to pay.  We don't need to add a sweetener at this point.

Really good point on improving trade value on our assets. What they do next will be so key to determining the value of this buyout…

Going to revisit the trade board to see what this allows us to do

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Iron Man said:

Let this be a cautionary tale for any management before they make desperation trades.

The Hronek one was a desperation trade. Obviously this new management didn't take any notes.

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

And they chose to handicap the team for a decade instead of making an intelligent decision.  Anyone qualified to work in hockey ops would understand that this is by far the stupidest thing that a GM can possibly do.  They thought about it and still chose to destroy the future of the franchise.  Even Keenan caused less damage than the idiots currently running the franchise.

Too early to tell.  Between a rock bad hard place. No good decisions. 

11 minutes ago, flat land fish said:

I think the buyout speaks more about managements belief that OEL Is done as a top 4 dman in the league.  Feel bad for the players but OEL could be a guy needing to take league minimum if he wants to stay in the league.  The buyout structure tells you no one would take him at even 50% retention.

Which is pretty crazy to think about, but you're right with regards to his current value.  Seems shocking that with a terrible FA market that nobody would want him at ~3.5M per.  Just hard to think that a top NHL defenseman who is still in his prime years can drop that far without major injuries derailing him.  Just have this feeling that he will sign on with someone and do just fine.