The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Buyout] Oliver Ekman-Larsson

I do not get people saying it's a gamble.

Guy plays bad and not going to be better making to much money.

Buy him out save a spot and money.

Yes we pay longer then we should but by that time would be paying a fourth liner.

What's the gamble?

• There it is 1

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

So waste another year? What about our young key core players wanting us to do our best to build a winner? Just screw them and have them suffer with OEL in their room? When there is a cancer (and OEL because of his being done while collecting a huge contract was a cancer) it needs to be cut out so the team can move on. Thank God our owner actually wrote this cheque. Didn’t think he would but fanned happy he did. 

Another poster made a good point, if they wait to buy him out next year it is next year's 7+M cap hit plus 6 more years of a cap penalty (I.E. only one less year of an OEL cap hit/penalty). Plus they would lose next season's significant cap benefit which reduces OEL's cap penalty to under a million. If they are going to buy him out, this is the best year to do it.

• Vintage 2

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

That $4.7 million would have been unavailable either way as it would have been taken up by OEL, who by that time would have been on the 3rd pairing or even in the press box.  At least now $2.5 million is freed up which can go to someone who can actually contribute on the 3rd pairing without talking up $7.2 million in cap space.  

This is what some people are not understanding.  With no buyout, OEL is on the books for $7.26 million in 2025 and 2026 and most likely playing on the 3rd pairing with minimal contribution.  At least now we can have a guy making $2.5 million and play some hard minutes in a shutdown role on the 3rd pairing and the cap hit is a wash…

This is correct...the real bugaboo is Years 5-8...

• Cheers 1

33 minutes ago, HKSR said:

And I mentioned to you multiple times how it has been shown in the recent past that an anchor contract for a veteran defender on the 3rd pair is not the end of the world.  Certainly not to the point where we had to buyout a contract that resulted in us sitting on dead cap for 8 years.  One thing is for certain, there has not been a Stanley Cup winning roster that had dead cap on the cap hit.  If history continues, the Canucks are now out of the running for a Cup win for at least 8 more years.  

You only give 1 example where the chance of that repeating require top pairing dmen on an elc which is highly irreplaceable by this team, especially given out luck. 

Chances of getting a better player than OEL on short terms is significantly higher than what the Avs did, especially with our rotten luck. 

I'll give you that recent champions didn't have dead cap but going back to 2017, the Pens won the cap with 1.1M in dead cap which adjusted for inflation is around the ball park of our potential $2M in dead cap. It is something that is clearly manageable. Heck the Pens did it twice. 

Edited by 24K PureCool

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

If we didn’t have a young core with Petey, Quinn, Demko, Hronek, and Miller then I’d say keep OEL and suffer thru him during a rebuild. But we have a great young core. It’s important to build the best supporting cast we can right now. Every year we waited to try and build the best club we can us a year our great core will struggle to win. 

Miller is 30 years old now.  Hasn't shown any signs of slowing down but he isn't young anymore.

6 hours ago, Petey Castiglione said:

I'll reserve judgement until we see the next moves.  The question is, does this management team have what it takes to pull it off?  

Does this mean we're not moving Myers? 

I can't see us re-signing Bear now that he needs shoulder surgery, they'll probably let him walk.  

Welp, we're finally rebuilding the defense and that's exciting.

We have time before at need to decide whether to re-sign Bear since he is RFA

2 minutes ago, cripplereh said:

I do not get people saying it's a gamble.

Guy plays bad and not going to be better making to much money.

Buy him out save a spot and money.

Yes we pay longer then we should but by that time would be paying a fourth liner.

What's the gamble?

Exactly! This is a huge win for us. Just shocked our owner cut the cheque. 

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Miller is 30 years old now.  Hasn't shown any signs of slowing down but he isn't young anymore.

The core, as a whole, is young. And yes Miller is a great player. Incredible we got him at 8x7 years. He clearly took a discount to stay here. One Bo wouldn’t. So it’s important we try our best to win while this core, with Miller, is in their prime. Thank God OEL is gone! 
Akf is drinking unhappiness! :frantic:

3 minutes ago, 5nothincanucksohno said:

Have to assume that was for other GMs, didn't work but now that they have freed up cap space, mgmt won't be held over a barrel during trade negotiations.

That’s an excellent point. Cap space is huge and there are other benefits than the on I’ve club ftom buying out OEL. Interesting to how Hanukkah Hansen today (on 650) talked about how the other players knew OEL was done and hitting the club. He said the “rot needed to be cut out” the guys on the room knew how bad OEL was playing and how little he cared. This has to be done so our club could move forward. The “rot” is now gone. Yeh! And screw you Benning you doughhead. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • There it is 1

8 minutes ago, 5nothincanucksohno said:

Have to assume that was for other GMs, didn't work but now that they have freed up cap space, mgmt won't be held over a barrel during trade negotiations.

Excellent point. I've been saying they weren't going to allow themselves to be held over a barrel by this contract. 

• There it is 1