The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Buyout] Oliver Ekman-Larsson

I'd almost like this buy out-if the pain was next 2 years, with less pain as the deal dies out.

This way they need to plan for 2 years with 'capspace' and then dump $4.7 mill off the team for 2 seasons.

I think they will have trouble finding quality players to acquire, for only two seasons.

• Cheers 3

28 minutes ago, canuckwings said:

Omg...just keep digging eh? Another impatient move. Probably because they talked to 31 other GMs and finally accepted that they can't move any of the bad contracts.

Thanks Benning. The OEL trade has got to be worst move he made as a Canucks GM.

I'm quite certain this is going to come back and haunt us.

Yeah Replacing Benning with a GM/President who have continued the exact same approach (with maybe some better professional scouting - but also clearly their own taste in personnel) was certainly a choice.  

It’s not boring but it’s not exactly coming together amazingly either.

Edited by ilduce39
  • Upvote 1

Incoming:

Ryan Graves - 5x5

Luke Schenn - 1.5x2

Nikita Tryamkin - 2x2

Hughes     Schenn 

Graves      Hronek

Tryamkin   Myers 

All of a sudden our defence is even bigger and meaner than the Vegas defence. I likey…

Playoffs here we come baby..

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, aGENT said:

So barring trades, Soucy to play with Hronek and one of Graves/Mayfield to play with Hughes? And one of Compher/Sundqvist at 3C? :lol:

Compher produced too much to get 3C money unfortunately 

He's an Illinois native, wouldn't be surprised if Chicago was like "hey, we gotta hit the cap floor, here's a pile of money to play 2C behind Bedard" 

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Incoming:

Ryan Graves - 5x5

Luke Schenn - 1.5x2

Nikita Tryamkin - 2x2

Hughes     Schenn 

Graves      Hronek

Tryamkin   Myers 

All of a sudden our defence is even bigger and meaner than the Vegas defence. I likey…

Pulp Fiction GIF

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Incoming:

Ryan Graves - 5x5

Luke Schenn - 1.5x2

Nikita Tryamkin - 2x2

Hughes     Schenn 

Graves      Hronek

Tryamkin   Myers 

Please be right about this.

• Huggy Bear 1

So OEL is going to sign a cheap contract as a bottom pair d with a contender and win a stanley cup there. It's the Canucks way.

Argh, I am genuinely scared what they're going to do at the draft and free agent. Please DO NOT f-ing move the first round pick. 

This team continues to give me heart attack with these short sighted move, regardless of which management it is. The issue is clearly with ownership. 

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

You're not wrong.

the canucks have a long and illustrious history of sensibility during free agency that tends to work out with frequency so this will be fine.

Didn't we go over your fear of disappointment last month.

They don't call me Dr. for nothing. 

You'll be fine. 

2 minutes ago, canuckwings said:

So OEL is going to sign a cheap contract as a bottom pair d with a contender and win a stanley cup there. It's the Canucks way.

Argh, I am genuinely scared what they're going to do at the draft and free agent. Please DO NOT f-ing move the first round pick. 

This team continues to give me heart attack with these short sighted move, regardless of which management it is. The issue is clearly with ownership. 

lol no contender is going to give even a cheap contract to OEL.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

I’ve thought of that as well - and while I’d didn’t post it (feel free to not believe me!) when Bear got hurt I kind of circled back to the OEL buyout as a cure-all for this upcoming season too.  

With the league’s cap crunch we can probably find a D and a C who look good enough with OEL’s space. And a D who fits better with Hronek or Hughes to boot.

But 8 years? Long term pain for short term gain. Ah well.

I agree with you about finding D and C.

We're really only in tough for two seasons at over $4 mill ... I'm not too worried about it. We had to do something with this contract.. and it worked out for Minn ... it's not all gloom.

Plus, I'm more confident in this management than the last. They've built winners.

• Cheers 2

20 minutes ago, Petey Castiglione said:

It's definitely going to be musical chairs this season if it wasn't already.  We know management is okay moving Miller but want a center in return.  Dahliwal reports Myers will be moved in Sept.  We need a 3C and 2 top 4 dmen.  

I'm cautiously optimistic about a new defense group.  Maybe someone smarter than I can say how much cap space we have now after the buyout?

We have $12.1 million in cap space if Pearson and Poolman are put on LTIR with 18 players signed. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

Kinda like how you're guaranteeing we get equal or better value from a replacement top 4 LHD capable of playing 20+ min a night? While also costing $5M or less AAV.

I said wait and see. Don't put words in my mouth. 

Man you have a reading comprehension problem. 

Edited by 24K PureCool

8 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Incoming:

Ryan Graves - 5x5

Luke Schenn - 1.5x2

Nikita Tryamkin - 2x2

Hughes     Schenn 

Graves      Hronek

Tryamkin   Myers 

I think Schenn looks for more than that, he's reportedly not close with the Leafs and he showed very well for them down the stretch and during the playoffs. He's made less than 1.5M per the last seven years and less than 1M the past five. I think this time it's going to take more, and I think there will be a fair amount of interest in him as a bottom pairing guy given he brings an old school tough D brand of hockey to the table, few do the way he does anymore. 

Which isn't to say I wouldn't take him at 1.5M. I think he could easily get 2M if not a bit more. 

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Compher produced too much to get 3C money unfortunately 

He's an Illinois native, wouldn't be surprised if Chicago was like "hey, we gotta hit the cap floor, here's a pile of money to play 2C behind Bedard" 

Sundqvist it is! :towel::lol:

• elephant 1