The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Buyout] Oliver Ekman-Larsson

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I'd do Graves at 5x5.  If we can't get Graves, I'd go after Soucy at 3x3.  I'd do Forbort for a 3rd or 4th, if not I'd try and move Garland to Winnipeg for Brenden Dillon.  I'd go after Luke Schenn again.  Tryamkin is also an option in free agency.  Erik Cernak is a dream.  Andrew Peeke is another.  Brett Pesce may be traded.  Noah Hanifin, Chris Tanev, Nikita Zadorov from Calgary, who have no cap space..  Lots of options to consider and we now have the cap space to make at least one move and probably two...

image.gif.d426c73c288ca312c5e5d11ef616b1ea.gif

• Haha 2
  • Vintage 1

I'd do Graves at 5x5.  If we can't get Graves, I'd go after Soucy at 3x3.  I'd do Forbort for a 3rd or 4th, if not I'd try and move Garland to Winnipeg for Brenden Dillon.  I'd go after Luke Schenn again.  Tryamkin is also an option in free agency.  Erik Cernak is a dream.  Andrew Peeke is another.  Brett Pesce may be traded.  Noah Hanifin, Chris Tanev, Nikita Zadorov from Calgary, who have no cap space..  Lots of options to consider and we now have the cap space to make at least one move and probably two...

Go get Pesce, sign Graves and Robert Hägg in free agency

Hughes - Pesce

Graves - Hronek

Hägg - Juulsen

Brisebois, Burroughs

I like Soucy but a guy like Hägg would be a better cheaper fit for the bottom pair. All of a sudden, the defense goes from a liability to a strength. 

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

lol have you paid attention the least 6 years ... you honestly think our cap is going to be a non issue going forward? It sounds as ridiculous as the least 50 times posters have said this up to and including last year and only last week. Yet here we are 11th worst in the league with the biggest payroll, over the cap, and stuck not being able to improve an extremely mediocre roster. 

People really have to stop with the cap is going up so we're fine routine. It's not fine.

Gee, why are you being an alarmist?!!!

Just because we have an objectively crappy team that can’t even make the playoffs; with one of the worst prospect pools in the league; capped out; and have some of our only efficient contracts up for significant raises in the near future…

… what about all of that even remotely suggest a problem?

(Insert random assumptions of magical things that will happen in the future) and we will be totally fine and Stanley Cup contenders in two years!

Edited by Provost
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

11 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

lol have you paid attention the least 6 years ... you honestly think our cap is going to be a non issue going forward? It sounds as ridiculous as the least 50 times posters have said this up to and including last year and only last week. Yet here we are 11th worst in the league with the biggest payroll, over the cap, and stuck not being able to improve an extremely mediocre roster. 

People really have to stop with the cap is going up so we're fine routine. It's not fine.

Why are you so focused on that though?

Are you not able to justify that this is the best course of action / lesser of two evils? Your argument is valid but it is outweighed alone on the potential of what this opportunity now presents for this club. Face it. We had an albatross that either way was going to weigh us down for the longterm. Mgmt is new but their leash to success may not actually be the length of OEL’s contract. They have the unenviable task of righting a previous regime’s wrong, while also handicapping themselves for the future (theirs specifically included) which further subverts the agenda/mandate from ownership. It just had to be done. And with EP negotiations you wanna show him that you aren’t wasting anytime at all. As the saying goes “there is no time like the present”.

Edited by RWJC
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

watch him stay at home and count money instead of announcing his retirement. 

by the way, what happens to the cap penalty if he DOES announce his retirement? 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Why are you so focused on that though?

Are you not able to justify that this is the best course of action / lesser of two evils? Your argument is valid but it is outweighed alone on the potential of what this opportunity now presents for this club. Face it. We had an albatross that either way was going to weigh us down for the longterm. Mgmt is new but their leash to success may not actually be the length of OEL’s contract. They have the unenviable task of righting a previous regime’s wrong, while also handicapping themselves for the future (theirs specifically included) which further subverts the agenda/mandate from ownership. It just had to be done. And with EP negotiations you wanna show him that you aren’t wasting anytime at all. As the saying goes “there is no time like the present”.

proud-clapping.gif

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

On 6/16/2023 at 3:12 PM, Dr. Crossbar said:

More sanity ... love it! 

Sanity? Sounds more like the forced excuses we hear every year from happy go lucky fans as to why our dumb decision making isn't really a problem. Yet here we are in year 10 of sucking.

24 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

I think that's the problem people here. People seem to expect the best case scenario with our players

And with the ones that aren't even here.

Otherwise there would be no claims about how much better our defense will be, when we bring in a nameless player to replace OEL.

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Graves, $5x5, Soucy $3x3, trade Garland, Rathbone + for Sissons and Prokop ::D

• There it is 1

14 minutes ago, Gurn said:

And with the ones that aren't even here.

Otherwise there would be no claims about how much better our defense will be, when we bring in a nameless player to replace OEL.

Ufas  in this cap strapped era will have to set their sites a little lower and that factors into who’s available for the Canucks with what their going to have left if they can move out just a little more.with the amount saved by the buyout  A money for money trade (garland)for a dman on an expiring contract isn’t out of the realm of possibility 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, chon derry said:

Ufas  in this cap strapped era will have to set their sites a little lower and that factors into who’s available for the Canucks with what their going to have left if they can move out just a little more.with the amount saved by the buyout  A money for money trade (garland)for a dman on an expiring contract isn’t out of the realm of possibility 

Someone earlier in the thread suggested  players like Kuznetsov, who has just 2 yrs left on his deal, or the like.

Their contract would be up when we get hit with the $4.7 mill, so the team would not have to dump players to make that cap reduced limit.

I kind of like that idea, but not big on giving up much in trade for just two years of a player.

32 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Sanity? Sounds more like the forced excuses we hear every year from happy go lucky fans as to why our dumb decision making isn't really a problem. Yet here we are in year 10 of sucking.

Psh ... meh ... Benning is gone and now so is OEL. 

It was necessary! The team is going to be better. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Gurn said:

Wasn't he?

Was he?

The guy played well enough in his first season here.

Had a bad last season, on a bad foot, as did many a player.

If they are going to dump everyone that had a bad season, last year, there will be a lot more movement before training camp.

Uh...take a look at OEL's cap hit.

For those that missed the radio reaction. 

[Canucks Talk] Emergency Pod: Canucks Buy Out OEL #canucksTalk 

https://podcastaddict.com/canucks-talk/episode/159357555 

[Canucks Central] Canucks Part Ways With Oliver Ekman-Larsson on Buyout Friday #canucksCentral 

https://podcastaddict.com/canucks-central/episode/159361781 

[Canucks Central] Jannik Hansen on Where the Canucks Go From Here #canucksCentral 

https://podcastaddict.com/canucks-central/episode/159363430 

Edited by Jaimito
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, Gurn said:

Wasn't he?

Was he?

The guy played well enough in his first season here.

Had a bad last season, on a bad foot, as did many a player.

If they are going to dump everyone that had a bad season, last year, there will be a lot more movement before training camp.

Do you honestly think they would have bought him out if there was even a chance he would be playing in the top 4?  Having a bad season on a bad foot?  Ask @Bob.Loblaw to show you his stats when he played for Arizona.  He was already in decline when we traded for him.  

1 hour ago, Gurn said:

These are the same guys that signed Brock to a 3 year deal- so yah, I feel fine questioning their decisions.

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

He’d play in the top 4 but not well.

Hes about to be 32. Somehow I don’t see a Karlsson like resurgence in his future.

Regardless he just doesn’t fit what they’re trying to build. Tocchett wants big mobile D men that play with an edge like Vegas. That’s who Allvin will try to bring in.

58 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

OEL is 31. Even if he was injured most of f last season do you expect him to fully return to form prior to his injury. Plus his skating has already been problematic when he was in Arizona. His foot injury is going to make this worse long term.

I think that's the problem people here. People seem to expect the best case scenario with our players that they will recover and return 100% after an injury. Even if the player is in his 30's  

And that's the fallacy Benning (and people here for that matter ) has, we always anticipate the outcome to be the best case scenario 

Incidentally, Erik Karlsson is 32 years old.  But let's get one thing out of the way: his resurgence is not as groundbreaking as people make it out to be.  His underlying offense didn't suddenly change awaken overnight.  He just started scoring more this year.

Could contain: Computer Hardware, Electronics, Hardware, Monitor, Screen, Scoreboard, Text

The biggest issue with him in San Jose is that he's getting paid way too much.  Hopefully this helps people come to terms with the fact that Karlsson was always a fantastic offensive D-man even before this year.

Compare this to OEL's "resurgence":

Could contain: Symbol, Number, Text, Chart, Plot

Bless his soul for trying, but OEL was already a trash player when he got traded to us.  It didn't make any sense to trade up for one of the worst contracts in the league.  This past season was him playing the exact same way he performed in Arizona:

Could contain: Adult, Male, Man, Person, Text, Chart

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

28 minutes ago, Gurn said:

Someone earlier in the thread suggested  players like Kuznetsov, who has just 2 yrs left on his deal, or the like.

Their contract would be up when we get hit with the $4.7 mill, so the team would not have to dump players to make that cap reduced limit.

I kind of like that idea, but not big on giving up much in trade for just two years of a player.

My thought was garlands remaining contract coupled with some savings from the buyout, garlands contract would look enticing, trading  for a player due a raise on an expiring  contract of course that figure is equal to garlands$  and whatever savings from OEL gone. using the savings and garlands cost combined , there you go a, Dman in the 6 mil range costing only 2 mil above what they’d be paying garland anyway. 

Edited by chon derry
  • There it is 1

18 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

I wasn't for the buyout but now that I'm getting used to the idea of it, I'm not as strongly against it as I was.  

Allvin did say that he was against buying players out.  This was after Rutherford said that if they couldn't free up cap in other ways, that buyouts would be on the table.  I think that they have exhausted other ways to free cap space before taking this route.

I think that you're right, there is no longer a great need to "give away" assets for cap space.  Whether this means draft picks, the 11th OA or prospects like Hoglander or Podkolzin.  

I still think that future moves should be modest in light of the difficulty they've surely experienced in trying to free cap space.  Make no mistake, buying out OEL is a big deal and maybe a last resort.  They would be foolish to give all the free cap ($6.4M) unless they're adding more than 1 important piece who fits with their long term goals.  What I mean is a top 4 D and/or a 3C.  

You may be completely right that they explored all trade options and this was the last option remaining. However, if that's the case it just shows how incredibly poorly Allvin and Rutherford read the market when they told us at the trade deadline that they didn't make more trades because based on their talks they thought they could make them in the summer. 

It's certainly possible that we get a better return now for Garland/Beauvillier/Boeser as we aren't as desperate, which would be nice, but that doesn't ease my mind that they read the market horribly.