The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Buyout] Oliver Ekman-Larsson

2 hours ago, McBackup said:

Yeah Aquilini’s meddling has been an extreme hindrance to the long term success of the club but I think people really don’t understand how crucial it is to have an owner actually willing to spend money on the club.

I hate this word. Him and his brothers own the franchise. They pay the paycheque. It isn't meddling, it is called being an owner. Would you call a restaurant owner meddling if they change the food menu or hire or fire anyone they desire? 
i don't get why Canucks fan think the owners can't be involved in business and hockey decisions when they own the damn club. 

Don't get me wrong, based on the rumors on how and if they were involved in hockey decisions isn't helping the club to their actual cup goal but they can do whatever they want as far as I am concern.

• Cheers 3
  • Wat 1

10 hours ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

This is a good point to bring up. He'd surely get boo'ed by the entire arena. So what's the classier move by the Canucks, a thank you + embarrassment or shushing it and saving OEL the embarrassment?

I don't think we need to publicly honor a short stretch as a Canuck.  Thank you Shawn Matthias!  Thank you Felix Potvin!  Thank you Robert Dirk!

Just spare OEL the embarrassment.  I'm guessing he would rather just not have any of this acknowledged.

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, MeanSeanBean said:

If we are entering the season expecting Brisebois to play top 4 minutes we are in an absolutely massive amount of trouble. Rathbone, Brisebois, Woo, Wolanin, Hirose ect, could make the team out of training camp. It's very likely we will need one of our depth D to take a step forward and play good minutes for us. But if any of them are being penciled in for the top 6 on opening night going into training camp, I'm calling that a massive failure to make this D corp better.

I'm not stating that Brisbois is our #4. It's line matching and placement.

Hronek is an elite defenseman you're going to pair him with a complimentary defenseman. This is rhe case for every NHL team

Is Mayfield our #2 because he is in my proposal and Hronek is our #3?

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

I'm gonna rub dirt in all of your faces if OEL returns to his form of 2 years ago after a healthy off season of training.  I still think OEL is a bonafide top 4 LHD that was playing injured last year.  This buyout is gonna look really stupid if that's the case.

I would of given him another year, but I don't know all the details. I don't entirely buy all the injury excuses either He always looks weak and out of shape. I question his will. He's a seven million doller Juolevi equivalent, both players lacked commitment imho.

2 hours ago, MeanSeanBean said:

If we are entering the season expecting Brisebois to play top 4 minutes we are in an absolutely massive amount of trouble. Rathbone, Brisebois, Woo, Wolanin, Hirose ect, could make the team out of training camp. It's very likely we will need one of our depth D to take a step forward and play good minutes for us. But if any of them are being penciled in for the top 6 on opening night going into training camp, I'm calling that a massive failure to make this D corp better.

I honestly think even if we sign a proven 4-5 vet like Soucy to play regular minutes with Hronek we’re asking for trouble - if we don’t have a proper top 4 partner for Hughes at least.

Would be really nice if we had at least one quality match up pair.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, mordekai said:

I hate this word. Him and his brothers own the franchise. They pay the paycheque. It isn't meddling, it is called being an owner. Would you call a restaurant owner meddling if they change the food menu or hire or fire anyone they desire? 
i don't get why Canucks fan think the owners can't be involved in business and hockey decisions when they own the damn club. 

Don't get me wrong, based on the rumors on how and if they were involved in hockey decisions isn't helping the club to their actual cup goal but they can do whatever they want as far as I am concern.

Meddling is a poor word, as they have every right to want to be involved. My problem is that they meddle to the point of forcing the GM to make poor decisions in an attempt to keep their job.

People may not have liked the trade in 2021, but it was JB's best option to try and get a top4 dman, 3liner with size, 2line scoring winger, and get the cap noose off his neck to do all of that. He failed, but his other option was getting canned; I'd make that trade too given my options.

Same thing goes for MG; he wanted to rebuild on the fly after 2011. FA wanted to run the team back. MG made bad moves and signed horrible contracts to try to maintain the ship while maintaining the cap. It failed, he got canned.....but he tried to appease FA, same as JB.

So what are we seeing again; rushed decisions to free up cap, to sign players to HOPEFULLY make playoffs and appease FA. Will it work this time? Who knows; jury is still out. What we do know is that the FO appears to be doing things to simply appease FA, which is not the best way to get longterm success. Ask Linden; I think he actually understood.

Edited by BC_Hawk

2 hours ago, Pure961089 said:

What if the Canucks started the season with this as their defence 

Hughes - Woo (Bear)

Hirose - Hronek

Wolanin - Johansson 

Rathbone - McWard. 

Woo gets moved down when Bear comes back from injury.    The Canucks still need 1 top 4 defenceman but I think Woo, if he plays a simple game can be a nice compliment to Hughes.  I mean if they make the cut they should be given a chance.

Are you referring to the Abbotsford Canucks? 

• Haha 4

9 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

Meddling is a poor word, as they have every right to want to be involved. My problem is that they meddle to the point of forcing the GM to make poor decisions in an attempt to keep their job.

People may not have liked the trade in 2021, but it was JB's best option to try and get a top4 dman, 3liner with size, 2line scoring winger, and get the cap noose off his neck to do all of that. He failed, but his other option was getting canned; I'd make that trade too given my options.

I'd walk the plank before I made that trade.  Setting aside the long term harm to the team that trade probably ensured he will never be a GM again.

2 hours ago, BPA said:

Kudos to FA.

But where was that when Canucks had LE??  

It is why we brought in LE and Beagle and OEL….  Ironically if we hadn’t rushed we would probably be in pretty good shape but the constant push to win now at all costs is doing the opposite. 
I know everyone is feeling chuffed right now with Hronek and Hughes but that is all the NHL D men we have other than the other one we need to get rid of to change the culture. 
Crazy stuff to come yet this off-season. 

It all depends on what they are able to do via trades or UFA signings to improve this team. 

If they can use this cap space from OEL buyout to improve the team in a big way its great. If they waste the cap space and make a bad signing or bad trade then it's going to be a huge negative..

The final chapter is yet to be written. We'll know a lot more by draft and July 1st free agents signings.

For now it's a good move. Let's see what they do with it now..

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

If canucks can somehow get Brett Pesce from the Canes that would be incredible.6'3 RHD would be great. 

But a lot would have to go back to CAR, I'm not sure Canucks could afford the cost it would take in a trade. 

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, mordekai said:

So you’re mad at semantics. 

Alright thanks

6 hours ago, 24K PureCool said:

So essentially you are advocating for a tear it down rebuild, which for the record I am not against. Heck I even said the best thing that could happen is Petey demanding a trade and forcing our hands on a rebuild. That is the only long sighted solution to this. Petey and Hughes ain't gonna stick around a team that basically said they give up the next four years. 

Yes I've been in favour of a tear down, while keeping EP and QH.

If they want a trade, then so be it. I think star players are more likely to stick through painful years if they expect those years to be bad and there's a clear plan, rather than taking shortcuts in hopes of making the playoffs and missing year after year.

I know that's not happening though.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

Yes I've been in favour of a tear down, while keeping EP and QH.

If they want a trade, then so be it. I think star players are more likely to stick through painful years if they expect those years to be bad and there's a clear plan, rather than taking shortcuts in hopes of making the playoffs and missing year after year.

I know that's not happening though.

Actually no pkayer, star or not, is thinking about anything except for winning right now. Players want their clubs to go all in every year. They want to win and want their ownership and management to give them every opportunity to to that. Quinn and Petey would hate your plan and we would need to move them. Then we would need to spend the next 5-7 years on a deep dive to get high picks in hopes of drafting guys as good as they are. All while getting a franchise goalie like Demko, an elite 2D like Hronek, and a ppg big bodied 2C who’s meN and a leader like Miller. It’s actually kind of a stupid idea to rebuild. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

7 hours ago, IBatch said:

Last year I just thought something was wrong with OEL.   Turns out so did the brass but it wasn't just his ankle. 

Same things JB tried to do since Myers.   Hronek needs to come in a make Allvin right.   And sign a team friendly deal and continue to make them right.  As a start.  

Again I don’t disagree he didn’t look good last season but I would have liked to see what he could do when healthy and playing a role that’s suited for his game play and not so defensive shutdown guy when that’s clearly not his game. He have one of if not the highest defensive zone start on the team in defence the last 2 season that’s not his game 

• Cheers 1

I completely understand the enthusiasm for giving our young prospects or AHL stalwarts a chance. Liked Brisebois when he was up as well as anyone. 

That fails to factor in injuries. These guys will get their chance to fill depth roles and play some games. If we promote them all now, who is left to provide depth? 

• Cheers 4