The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Can Tyler Myers still become a good defenceman?

Rate this topic

brokensticks

The way things have plugged along, if Myers lasts the season maybe he re-signs a little 2x2 contract or something reasonable to be a big man in the 3rd pair. That might be more value than what he’d return at the deadline.

Kind of what I was hoping we’d get from Sutter after overpaying him for a 3C role before he got hit by long Covid.

All you guys are delusional, he doesn't block shots, he's slow, he's not smart and is always out of position, guys skate around him like a pylon as he reaching helplessly at them with his stick. The sooner he's gone the lower my stress levels will be......:picard:

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bure2Win said:

All you guys are delusional, he doesn't block shots, he's slow, he's not smart and is always out of position, guys skate around him like a pylon as he reaching helplessly at them with his stick. The sooner he's gone the lower my stress levels will be......:picard:

Ummm....

Could contain: Text, Calendar

He's also not slow - at least for his size. But he does make a lot of bonehead plays and is out of position far too often. He's also often penalized for leaning on guys too hard (not exactly his fault), and prone to penalties as he has to make desperate actions when he gets caught out of position.

By all accounts he's well liked by everyone in the org. I'd still say if they really are keeping him for the season, re-sign him next year for a couple years on the cheap. See if he's willing to give back to the franchise after they wasted so much money on him, and stuck it through for his entire contract.

Edited by kloubek

Squeak into PO's, & go on a miracle-run.

SC Finals,(Van up in games, 3-2) Gm 6 OT, TM floats a screened wrister just over the 'tenders shoulder, for spontaneous, biblical pandemonium.

The place would be a ZOO, & finally, Mysie could feel like he belongs...

Edited by Nuxfanabroad
  • Like 1

The bad rap Myers picked up was from the last year playing in front of bad goaltending. Instead of going for the puck he had to block & screen goalie. Myers needs to get back to chasing the little black spot in his mind and getting it and going. He is worth every penny if he can focus on the puck instead of his net.

The biggest problem with Myers is the same problem most of our D core has had. Incompatible, ill fitting partners, and therefore redundant skill sets, no identity and nobody really taking care of our own end. Made worse by the lack of systems play and almost non existent puck support from the forwards (until recently).

For too many years here, we've had a collection of good players, who don't make a remotely cohesive or good team.

This appears to be one of the biggest things new management is tackling, which is GREAT , and long overdue.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

28 minutes ago, aGENT said:

The biggest problem with Myers is the same problem most of our D core has had. Incompatible, ill fitting partners, and therefore redundant skill sets, no identity and nobody really taking care of our own end. Made worse by the lack of systems play and almost non existent puck support from the forwards (until recently).

For too many years here, we've had a collection of good players, who don't make a remotely cohesive or good team.

This appears to be one of the biggest things new management is tackling, which is GREAT , and long overdue.

I don't know about that (re: blueline under JB).  "Can't make chicken salad out of chicken manure" imho

edit:  I was too harsh, we had a good stockpile of #5 to #7 defensemen.  They still weren't good but not ****.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

11 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

I don't know about that (re: blueline under JB).  "Can't make chicken salad out of chicken manure" imho

Individually, most of the players JB brought in were good (or at minimum, capable) NHL players. It's why so many have gone on to other teams and had (relative at least) success, when put in better position to succeed, with more appropriate line mates/pairs, systems etc. The same will likely happen for OEL in FLA.

Good players =/= good team.

You can't simply expect to collect a mish mash of redundant, ill fitting pieces and expect them to be a good team. Good players or not.

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

He's 33 years old, so the chance of him diminishing is going to be higher than the chance of him getting better at this point.

That being said, he's on his final year here, so at the very least his contract's off the books end of season. Perhaps we can trade him as a rental at the deadline if nothing's done this summer or perhaps we can't and we just let him go or resign him for way cheaper. Who knows?

Keep in mind when he's on his game he seems to really be on his game and I'd rather still have him than a lot of other defensemen.

Edited by The Lock

14 minutes ago, Angry Goose said:

Foote/Gonchar/Tocchett and how they want the D to play will be really interesting.  I see a much more unified D zone strategy under the new coaching staff which would imo help Myers immensely.  

7 minutes ago, The Lock said:

He's 33 years old, so the chance of him diminishing is going to be higher than the chance of him getting better at this point.

That being said, he's on his final year here, so at the very least his contract's off the books end of season. Perhaps we can trade him as a rental at the deadline if nothing's done this summer or perhaps we can't and we just let him go or resign him for way cheaper. Who knows?

Keep in mind when he's on his game he seems to really be on his game and I'd rather still have him than a lot of other defensemen.

Actually having a solid, defensive partner to cover for him (likely one of Irwin/Wolanin/Hirose), that allow him to play to his strengths, AND behind Hughes-Cole and Soucy-Hronek, likely against lesser competition, AND with actual systems in place, puck support from F's, better defensive F's added, and coaching from Gonchar Foote....I'll not be remotely shocked if he looks great this season.

• Cheers 1

29 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Actually having a solid, defensive partner to cover for him (likely one of Irwin/Wolanin/Hirose), that allow him to play to his strengths, AND behind Hughes-Cole and Soucy-Hronek, likely against lesser competition, AND with actual systems in place, puck support from F's, better defensive F's added, and coaching from Gonchar Foote....I'll not be remotely shocked if he looks great this season.

This plus minutes management. At this stage of his career he's best playing ~15min. 

Doesn't need to look great. I'd be happy if he's one of those Dmen I just don't notice each game.

• Cheers 1

On 6/19/2023 at 3:36 PM, kilgore said:

Thing with Myers is he is a 'it was the best of times, it was the worst of times' kind of player.

People who defend Myers rightly point out that he is has some good qualities as a defenceman.  Some that you can't get with a smaller D.  He has been able to break up plays by his long reach with his stick, that a smaller D cannot.  He can pinch off players on the boards when he chooses to use his size to his advantage. And if his hits ever connect, they are quite effective.

But his cons defeat his pros. He just does not have the hockey IQ to compete against other teams top lines, or other skill lines who DO have hockey sense. Something you cannot teach a player. It shows in his hesitation when he does recover a puck. Either gets it taken away again, or passes to a player who is already covered, or worse directly onto the stick of the opponent. Which happens 2 or 3 times some games.  That is what is killing his game. Its what the Jets realized and got rid of him, despite his size.

Then there's also the Big Man syndrome with the refs.  We all want him to play more physical. But every fricken time he starts having a good physical game where he is hitting more....you just know he will eventually get a "Big Man" penalty for having too high up of a shoulder.  Then he will be even more shy to bump anyone for weeks after.

I propose they totally change his responsibilities to a more offensive role. I don't mean more time on the point on the PP shooting at shin  pads. I mean giving him the green light to go to the net more. He is pressured, as one of our few, or only, big D to always play a defensive role. But he is not good at that. I remember there were a few games, for whatever reason, Myers was playing more offensive minded with the puck, moving forward, taking close shots. With his body, he can also use it to  clear space in front of the OTHER net as well. Have a partner who knows his role is playing the more defensive partner.  Just kicking around ideas to make him more useful

This is exactly what I was thinking! Pair him with a defensive defenseman and let him charge to the net with force. Set up plays for him in the slot or behind the net. He wants to carry the puck but panics. I think with Szi and Cole baby he can try stuff. We never had a player that size drive to the net. I'm not saying free for all but have Foote and Gonchar organize a linebacker blitz for him. Myer's could absolutely tie up net front. It's a option for adding more tools to make room for our forwards. Like set plays. 

• There it is 1

1 hour ago, Hairy Kneel said:

This is exactly what I was thinking! Pair him with a defensive defenseman and let him charge to the net with force. Set up plays for him in the slot or behind the net. He wants to carry the puck but panics. I think with Szi and Cole baby he can try stuff. We never had a player that size drive to the net. I'm not saying free for all but have Foote and Gonchar organize a linebacker blitz for him. Myer's could absolutely tie up net front. It's a option for adding more tools to make room for our forwards. Like set plays. 

If we had such a player, I'd sooner put him with Hronek so we'd have a fairly strong top 4 (Hughes doesn't really need such a player though obviously it would help).  

Hughes Cole

Soucy Hronek 

Hirose Myers 

I think with limited minutes, a calming presence in Hirose as his defense partner, he very well could improve but it will remain difficult to live up to the 6m contract. I hope he sticks around until the TDL so that we can acquire something in return but also not completely against him being traded after his bonus is paid. 

10 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

8 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

If we had such a player, I'd sooner put him with Hronek so we'd have a fairly strong top 4 (Hughes doesn't really need such a player though obviously it would help).  

Short of trading for Pesce, we're likely looking at:

Hughes, Cole

Soucy, Hronek

Irwin/Wolanin/Hirose, Myers

Any of those three guys are solid defensive players to pair with him, and as I mentioned above "cover" for him to play to his strengths.

Between the better coaching, puck support, systems, playing behind those other 4 guys and actually having a defensive partner...I'd wager he has a good year.

• Cheers 1