The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Plenty of 3rd Line Centre Options

Rate this topic

Herberts Vasiljevs

49 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Yup. Must not do a Benning. But there is no indication this management is like that. They signed excellent free agents and contracts so far. But to express full honesty I’m not happy with the Kuzmenko deal. But that’s likely my bias. I just donated care for how he plays. 

I can see that but if he can score 40g in the NHL at $5.5M that’s a steal. With Mik or an improved Podz with him and the way EP plays you can cover him a bit. Plus he didn’t really understand what NHL fitness meant. He does now. 

I wouldn't mind wrenching Bjudstad away from the Coilers...they just love him over there.  Great defensive

game, with a bit of offence. Big physical right shot C, that is a great PK guy.  Can play W or C up and down

the lineup, just in case Raty makes the jump earlier.  Solid versatile player.

He will get a raise in UFA as he's the kind of player teams want in their bottom 6.  Maybe Nucks could get

him in the $2m range for 2-3yrs.

• Upvote 1

What would Jake Evans cost to pry out of MTL?

Could we swap dump for dump with PHI? Kevin Hayes would be a lot more useful to us than Brock Boeser.  He only makes 500k more. Bet they'd eat the difference to get out of it a year earlier. 

Hartman I'd love to get but we woudn't have the dough to extend him. 

Would love to get one of Jack Mcbain or Liam Obrien out of Arizona

Edited by hammertime

Drance and Harman have me set on Kampf, Suter or Bjugstad.  

I think this is a hole we can fill in FA (unless we can get a 1st back for taking on Johansen or Granlund) while on D we should pursue a trade before looking at FA.

17 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Would like to see us rebuild our bottom 6.

Barbashev Blueger Podkolzin

UFA/Trade UFA/Trade Joshua

I agree, build the bottom 6. Everyone always want to promote forwards too quickly. Like Jake. I always saw Jake as a 4th line guy who needed to earn his way up. I think the same of Podz. Let him master the art of the forecheck. And back check and hitting. I would be happy with 14 goals a year if he was a defensive stalwart. How can we gift young guys top 6 roles? Let them earn it.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I agree, build the bottom 6. Everyone always want to promote forwards too quickly. Like Jake. I always saw Jake as a 4th line guy who needed to earn his way up. I think the same of Podz. Let him master the art of the forecheck. And back check and hitting. I would be happy with 14 goals a year if he was a defensive stalwart. How can we gift young guys top 6 roles? Let them earn it.

Same with Kassian, he was a bottom line forward. But us and the team wanted him to be Bertuzzi right away. 

• Vintage 1

12 hours ago, ilduce39 said:

Drance and Harman have me set on Kampf, Suter or Bjugstad.  

I think this is a hole we can fill in FA (unless we can get a 1st back for taking on Johansen or Granlund) while on D we should pursue a trade before looking at FA.

I agree that such can be done. But please don't over spend just 'cuz we got the money. I dunno what the cost would be for the first 3 guys mentioned above. I'm guessing they could be had for a reasonable price, but at a higher cap. Johansen or Granlund are definitely desirable, especially if we get a 1st back, but at what cost with regards to their current contracts. 

I'm down with a vet centre to be sure. With the plan to get into the playoffs this coming season, perhaps a cheaper alternative of a vet centre would make more sense. 

Man! I'm excited for the coming season!!!!!!!!!!

• Cheers 1

Would REALLY like it if we can find a righty....Compher (too pricy), Rodrigues, Acciari, Bjugstaad all being good options. Kampf and Suter would be good lefty options as well, if we can't swing the righties.

Management has lots of options though, possibly including a trade to help out cap-strapped teams like the Rangers. Goodrow + Lindgren for Garland for example.

• Cheers 2
  • elephant 1

26 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Would REALLY like it if we can find a righty....Compher (too pricy), Rodrigues, Acciari, Bjugstaad all being good options. Kampf and Suter would be good lefty options as well, if we can't swing the righties.

Management has lots of options though, possibly including a trade to help out cap-strapped teams like the Rangers. Goodrow + Lindgren for Garland for example.

I think Acciari is the best fit for us.  He's likely the cheapest option of the bunch and would instantly be one of our most physical forwards. (only Canuck to have more hits than him last year was Schenn)  You might even be able to grab two of them if you sign Acciari.

Acciari plus Rodrigues perhaps?  Have some internal competition for the first time in forever.  Keep Aman and Raty hungry and having to really compete for minutes. 

• Cheers 3

23 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Look at bargin bin UFA's. 

Just because we have cap space, doesn't mean we have to blow it all and get stuck again. 

Yep.   To me Soucy is the man.   He ticks all the boxes.   Won't cost too much.   Is a big dude and actually plays like one.  

As for a 3C.   Sure find one that maybe mid range.   But don't do a Brandon Sutter mistake either, as in pay a great 3C, top six money either.    I hope we are awfully smart with this cap space, and poach a defenseman first and foremost.   If we can do that, a top four D, and add a solid 3C...then we should be looking at the goalie market too.   To shore up Demko and Silvos. 

• Cheers 1

Adding a 3C like Dickinson would be brutal.    With our cash, we absolutely have to acquire a top four D.    With Myers around, and OEL gone ( not a fan of the WAR model, but it does show they actually played against top guys ... what other options did the coaches (3!!) really have?   Management needs to focus on that first or we are dead in the water before the season even starts.    I'm sure we can find some cheap bottom

six guys who can penalty kill (Motte guys... they are worth the 1.5ish) - need that too.   

If we want to make a splash go after O'Reilly.   Maybe he'd follow suit, and take a cheap one year deal (doubt it).   But Toews might.    Eww.   

Isn't our first priority to find a top four D?  Right now we have two.   The 3C might need to wait.   Or be a stopgap guy as well. 

23 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Look at bargin bin UFA's. 

Just because we have cap space, doesn't mean we have to blow it all and get stuck again. 

This.    By buying out OEL, the first priority is adding a solid top four D.   Until we trade Beau or wait for Myers cap to run out.... this is the best option.  

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Yep.   To me Soucy is the man.   He ticks all the boxes.   Won't cost too much.   Is a big dude and actually plays like one.  

As for a 3C.   Sure find one that maybe mid range.   But don't do a Brandon Sutter mistake either, as in pay a great 3C, top six money either.    I hope we are awfully smart with this cap space, and poach a defenseman first and foremost.   If we can do that, a top four D, and add a solid 3C...then we should be looking at the goalie market too.   To shore up Demko and Silvos. 

3C should just be a short term bargain bin signing unless they trade for a really good one.

The long term goal should be to get Raty or even potentially the 11th pick to slide into that spot in 2-3 years.

• Cheers 1
  • elephant 1

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

3C should just be a short term bargain bin signing unless they trade for a really good one.

The long term goal should be to get Raty or even potentially the 11th pick to slide into that spot in 2-3 years.

I'm telling you guys!  Noel 'MFing' Acciari ticks the box for everyone!  CDC never agrees about anything.  But no matter what people seem to want, Acciari seems like a logical fit. 

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Yes.   Raty was part of the trade for a reason.    The focus has to be about adding a good top four D.    Of course we need a 3C as well.     I'd take 3 Motte level guys over 1 Dickinson any day.    Or one Schenn ( my wish list is both him

and Soucy, plus a poached cap strapped D).    Bargain bin for sure.    Sutter wasn't bad at all when he played,  his cap hit sure was ugly though for the majority of his contract even when he did play.   

Our forward group is more or less set.   Until we wait for Beau, Brock and Garland to be traded or their deals to end, well why not try Ilya M at C or even Podz?   Just use what we have.    Our D is a mess.  That needs most of  the focus. 

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Yes.   Raty was part of the trade for a reason.    The focus has to be about adding a good top four D.    Of course we need a 3C as well.     I'd take 3 Motte level guys over 1 Dickinson any day.    Or one Schenn ( my wish list is both him

and Soucy, plus a poached cap strapped D).    Bargain bin for sure.    Sutter wasn't bad at all when he played,  his cap hit sure was ugly though for the majority of his contract even when he did play.   

Our forward group is more or less set.   Until we wait for Beau, Brock and Garland to be traded or their deals to end, well why not try Ilya M at C or even Podz?   Just use what we have.    Our D is a mess.  That needs most of  the focus. 

I believe Motte is actually available lol.  

4 hours ago, Brock BOeser said:

Same with Kassian, he was a bottom line forward. But us and the team wanted him to be Bertuzzi right away. 

That's the dichotomy, we want 25 goals from Hogs and Podz. Then expect it. Then they are crucified when they fall short. A lot of people want to gift Rathbone a spot, but he has trouble with the physical game. But these kids have to prove they have the professional composure, street smarts, and talent to grab a spot and hold it. Podz had 14 goals then fell off the map. It's a matter of baby steps for these young guys. 

50 minutes ago, Baratheon said:

I believe Motte is actually available lol.  

I don't know, how much Motte has fallen off, but unless its severe there are more than a few players I would trade for Motte at a low cap contract.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

9 minutes ago, spook007 said:

I don't know, how much Motte has fallen off, but unless its severe there are more than a few players I would trade for Motte at a low cap contract.

My understanding is that he's basically the same as when he left.  I wouldn't mind giving him a shot.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1