The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Plenty of 3rd Line Centre Options

Rate this topic

Herberts Vasiljevs

Hey all,

This is my first topic I have started in quite some time, but I wanted to stimulate some more conversation concerning one of our biggest needs: 3C. 

Ivan Barbashev's name has been floating around recently as a potential candidate, and I think that he is precisely the type of player we need in our forward lineup, but there is the chance that he may be too expensive and/or he does not want to sign here. I think two other interesting names who can be cheaper options are Arturs Silovs' countrymen, Teddy Blueger and Zemgus Girgensons. Two different players with different skillsets, but both intriguing options in my eyes. Blueger couldn't find room in Vegas' lineup during their run, but that can (in large part) be accredited to the depth of their lineup top-to-bottom. There is the Pittsburgh connection there, as, correct me if I'm wrong, was a recruit of Scott Young's who now works with us. Then there is Girgensons, where there is debate to be had whether he is better suited as a winger than a centre, but I am just in love with the player and his locker room/on-ice presence. He has worn his heart on his sleeve for Buffalo since he was drafted, and whether he's seen time in the top-9 or Buffalo's 4th line, he gives it his absolute all and is a very devoted teammate. I'm only speculating, but I wonder if either of them might show added interest in Vancouver due to the Silovs connection.

Names like Sundqvist, Janmark, etc. could serve as interesting options too. Thoughts? 

10 minutes ago, R3aL said:

Barb is an effective winger and not a good C though. So I hope not.

Would like to see us rebuild our bottom 6.

Barbashev Blueger Podkolzin

UFA/Trade UFA/Trade Joshua

Edited by DeNiro

Depends what Rick wants his team to look and play like. BB wanted 3 rolling scoring lines, surely Tocchet wants more defence and checking from his bottom-6. 

If he wants offence, sure, go for Barbashev who will cost us another 5M and mainly end up playing on Miller's wing. Shame Monahan got snapped up because he's a great offensive option.

There's a lot of weaker guys like Puis Suter and Sundqvist who could explode, or could be crap. Same goes for Girgensons, big guys but not fantastic at anything.

Defensively there's some great guys - Kampf, Kerfoot, Killorn, Janmark.

It's tricky - personally I'd want a good center man who can play a checking game and kill penalties - our 3C should be our top penalty killer, take some relief off Miller and Petey and let them focus on other things. It's nice to have Petey and Miller as 2nd or 3rd penalty killers but you want someone else to be out there on the first faceoff. I think Kampf fits that role, not very flashy and a great 4C in Toronto last year, he could play a very boring role for us.

The problem is our 3rd line wingers are far from good forechecking defensive wingers. We've got Beauvillier who's a bit of nothing and Garland who can forecheck and defend well but is tiny. There's Hoglander though who could play that position nicely, and Podkolzin who is a bit too offensive for that position, so I think our team would need some tweaking. We've got PDG who will probably start on our 2nd line but could easily play that position for us too. Training camp will really decide, but we basically have good offensive options for the 2nd line and good grinders for the 3rd and 4th lines (or if Rick wants he'll probably mix and match them, but focus on good forecheckers for our 3rd line).

6 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Depends what Rick wants his team to look and play like. BB wanted 3 rolling scoring lines, surely Tocchet wants more defence and checking from his bottom-6. 

If he wants offence, sure, go for Barbashev who will cost us another 5M and mainly end up playing on Miller's wing. Shame Monahan got snapped up because he's a great offensive option.

There's a lot of weaker guys like Puis Suter and Sundqvist who could explode, or could be crap. Same goes for Girgensons, big guys but not fantastic at anything.

Defensively there's some great guys - Kampf, Kerfoot, Killorn, Janmark.

It's tricky - personally I'd want a good center man who can play a checking game and kill penalties - our 3C should be our top penalty killer, take some relief off Miller and Petey and let them focus on other things. It's nice to have Petey and Miller as 2nd or 3rd penalty killers but you want someone else to be out there on the first faceoff. I think Kampf fits that role, not very flashy and a great 4C in Toronto last year, he could play a very boring role for us.

The problem is our 3rd line wingers are far from good forechecking defensive wingers. We've got Beauvillier who's a bit of nothing and Garland who can forecheck and defend well but is tiny. There's Hoglander though who could play that position nicely, and Podkolzin who is a bit too offensive for that position, so I think our team would need some tweaking. We've got PDG who will probably start on our 2nd line but could easily play that position for us too. Training camp will really decide, but we basically have good offensive options for the 2nd line and good grinders for the 3rd and 4th lines (or if Rick wants he'll probably mix and match them, but focus on good forecheckers for our 3rd line).

Most good teams run 3 scoring lines, few run the old 2 scoring 1 checking and goon line of previous eras.

Our issue is our 4th line centre had one of the worst FO% in the league and was a rookie not really suited to a shutdown role.  EP's 200 ft game makes this easier but we will need someone who can take the tough minuted because Aman is not there yet.

This may flip the script for us in regards to scoring we may go from the team that can't defend to a team that struggles to score.

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Would like to see us rebuild our bottom 6.

Barbashev Blueger Podkolzin

UFA/Trade UFA/Trade Joshua

I just cant see us being able to afford Barbashev unless some serious cap is moved out and we acquire a cheap 3C and address our OEL replacement.

That line would be interesting but I think if Barb was acquired he'd be playing with Petey and Kuzmenko most likely letting Mikehyev play with Miller and Beauvillier there on the third line. In your scenario.

Barbashev is a winger, who can take faceoffs in a pinch. 

Now that we have more space, why not go for Evan Rodrigues for 3 mil/year? 

Lars Eller would be a good cheaper option. 

If we manage to ship a winger out and create an extra mil or two, I'd love to snag Ryan O'Reilly for anything under 5 mil/year and have the second best center depth in the West, surpassing LA. 

On another note, I'll be happy with Nils Aman as 4C but also want to keep Sheldon Dries around as the 13th forward, 5th center. He's a very versatile player for us. 

7 minutes ago, Baratheon said:

I hope we take a look at Noel Acciari.  He's pretty good in the faceoff circle and he hits everything that moves.  Shouldn't cost much but helps make our bottom 6 more difficult to play against. 

Yup. We have smart management again, much like when we had Gillis. They will not make the horrid mistakes that Benning did. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, DrJockitch said:

Use your cap space and scouts to find the next Barbashev not pay the current one. Acciari not a bad option there that would be cheap. 
Lots of teams that have tanked and now have a surplus of youth but not cap space, LA, NJ give them a shake and see if anything comes out. 
PA has said it, young assets that’s what we should be looking for. 
Just bidding high on UFAs when cap space is so valuable this year is stupid. 

Yup. Must not do a Benning. But there is no indication this management is like that. They signed excellent free agents and contracts so far. But to express full honesty I’m not happy with the Kuzmenko deal. But that’s likely my bias. I just donated care for how he plays.