The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Plenty of 3rd Line Centre Options

Rate this topic

Herberts Vasiljevs

Just now, Baratheon said:

My understanding is that he's basically the same as when he left.  I wouldn't mind giving him a shot.

During the bubble play offs, he was the most dynamic player together with Bo (obviously besides Demmer)...

I want size in the team, but if that isn't feasible cap wise, I'd be happy to bring him back on a cheap deal.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, spook007 said:

During the bubble play offs, he was the most dynamic player together with Bo (obviously besides Demmer)...

I want size in the team, but if that isn't feasible cap wise, I'd be happy to bring him back on a cheap deal.

Size would be ideal but I'll take compete over size any day.  Give me 'smallish' Alex Burrows over big Taylor Pyatt any day!

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1
  • elephant 1

I'd be pretty happy with Suter out of Detroit. Decent 2-way center that should cost less than 3m per on a multi-year deal. 

If the rumours of Pearson being good to go for next season, that's the makings of a decent defensive 3rd line

24 minutes ago, -Moose said:

I'd be pretty happy with Suter out of Detroit. Decent 2-way center that should cost less than 3m per on a multi-year deal. 

If the rumours of Pearson being good to go for next season, that's the makings of a decent defensive 3rd line

Hopefully we can move out a winger if indeed Pearson is back. That could really screw us over with the cap if his status is up in the air.

• Cheers 1

On 6/21/2023 at 5:28 PM, Hairy Kneel said:

That's the dichotomy, we want 25 goals from Hogs and Podz. Then expect it. Then they are crucified when they fall short. A lot of people want to gift Rathbone a spot, but he has trouble with the physical game. But these kids have to prove they have the professional composure, street smarts, and talent to grab a spot and hold it. Podz had 14 goals then fell off the map. It's a matter of baby steps for these young guys. 

You hit the nail on the head. We dont need a "new" 3rd line center, we need someone from AHL to step up. Really same with defense. I dont think we should explore the FA Market till we have let the yeast ferment. CAP space? no, its room to pay our best players or lose them.

• Cheers 1

I'd love to see us trade for C with well above 50% faceoffs and right handed. Out of New Jersey. Micheal McLeod. With their Center depth. This guy is only 24 or 25 years old. Over 60% in the dot last year. Would be a perfect 3C with upside to take over for JT when he gets old. 

See what we can get for Garland add barbashev. I think we will be okay. 

Draft our player this year "defense hopefully"

27 minutes ago, sxqhfeh said:

A 3C, top 4 LHD & RHD, Myers gone & 1 more depth RHD, That's a pretty tall order for one season

Not all of those have to be long term solutions though.

I wouldn’t mind seeing stop gaps in one or two of those positions if the right players aren’t available.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Cheers 2

What about Nicolas Roy out of Vegas? 6'4 Right handed Center. With good cap and term. 26 years old. Vegas needs cap space... can we make something happen there? 

Or in my other post, Micheal McLeod out of New Jersey. 

Why is nobody saying anything about these guys? 

5 minutes ago, Jody0491 said:

What about Nicolas Roy out of Vegas? 6'4 Right handed Center. With good cap and term. 26 years old. Vegas needs cap space... can we make something happen there? 

If Roy has a good cap hit and Vegas needs cap space, why would they deal him?  I honestly don't know anything about player so I won't comment on whether we should target him.

33 minutes ago, Jody0491 said:

I think most agree with you on those targets. Main issue is they are likely highly sought after pieces by a lot of teams and the teams they are currently on probably really want to keep them (even if it won't be possible in the end due to cap). 

• Cheers 1

I would like to see this management get better at discovering players with potential before they have career performance. 

Agree with those who said no to Barbashev. We would have to overpay him at max term to keep the AVV low. Signing a bottom 6 forward to a big contract would be another Benning-like mistake. 

With the cap going up only 1M next season, I would prefer Canucks try to sign players to a one yr contract at higher AVV. 

I'm not confident we'll be able to address all of our needs this off-season, and maybe that's okay.

21 hours ago, EastCoastNucks said:

You hit the nail on the head. We dont need a "new" 3rd line center, we need someone from AHL to step up. Really same with defense. I dont think we should explore the FA Market till we have let the yeast ferment. CAP space? no, its room to pay our best players or lose them.

Give Aman the shot.  Few yrs from now Raty will be ready to step in.

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/26/2023 at 11:33 PM, EddieVedder said:

Åman is young, i dunno how much he can grow per year in the role he has, but he plays it with pride and effort and might become a new mikael backlund in a couple of years...

On 6/25/2023 at 5:24 PM, EastCoastNucks said:

On 6/26/2023 at 2:33 PM, EddieVedder said:

Problem being we're planning to compete now. Waiting for kids to develop in to those roles isn't the answer to that question. We very much need stop gaps for our kids (hence the short term deals for guys like Blueger and Soucy/Cole on D).

For now, Aman could play W and slide to the middle with injuries etc. I'd happily see us sign/trade for another C this summer (Suter being the best fit of the remaining UFA's IMO).