The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Devils re-sign Timo Meier

10 minutes ago, Devron said:

Just seems wildly inconsistent year to year to me. And didn’t show a whole lot on NJ after he was traded 

Meier impacts the game beyond just points - he had 40 goals last season.   

He had no points vs NYR in round 1 but played a big role in helping them get past them.  He got under their skin and threw them off their game.  So many times he's at the net screening the goalies and disrupting the Ds while not appearing on the scoresheet but without him those goals might not happen.  NJD has the skilled guys but he brings an element that they didn't have.  

• Cheers 1

Just now, Nuckin Kingsly said:

100% man. I was one who was clearly on the Miller side. Im a sucker for heart and energy. Miss Horvat a bit, and sucks to see how it ended. But I believe we made the right decision. Which is nice to see time to time as a nuck fan lol

Same man. I f$&king love Horvat but in the end it worked out. I was excited about the Miller deal originally then I feared I’d lose Horvat but it did turn out for us 

• Like 4

I hate 8 year deals. It’s making the league worse when players are getting paid huge money at the end of these deals when they are no longer worth it. It’s tying up money that should be going to new young exciting players. Instead teams end up saddled with aging vets. Blech. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Strawbone said:

I hate 8 year deals. It’s making the league worse when players are getting paid huge money at the end of these deals when they are no longer worth it. It’s tying up money that should be going to new young exciting players. Instead teams end up saddled with aging vets. Blech. 

Yeah it'd be really nice if 5 years was max term. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Strawbone said:

The league tried to bring it down to 5 years but players pushed back. They wanted no limit so the 7/8 was the compromise found vs the no limit at all the players were pushing for. 

Honestly wondering how NJ will manage the cap now after the past weeks worth of trades and pick ups.

But then I remember that they have like 3-6 amazing young prospects coming in on ELCs and in the 2-5 years they can ride those contracts, they'll be able to see others expire or be traded as they'll be near the end of their terms.

Not envious at all.  how nice it must be to win the lottery repeatedly....

51 minutes ago, Nuckin Kingsly said:

100% man. I was one who was clearly on the Miller side. Im a sucker for heart and energy. Miss Horvat a bit, and sucks to see how it ended. But I believe we made the right decision. Which is nice to see time to time as a nuck fan lol

The right decision probably would have been to sign 50 pt Horvat before the season started to like 6.5 mill a year long term. They waited and he just blew up! Then you’re trying to bargain with Horvat pacing like 85-90 points for the Canucks. It then became too rich and not worth it as a 1 year sample size of great production also not having cap room for another contract as big as what he created for himself last season.