The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tom Willander | D

Fanuck

On 6/28/2023 at 5:48 PM, Bounce000 said:

If your name ends in ‘lander’ you’re getting drafted by Vancouver.

Should have done the same back in 2014 and drafted the guy’s name ends in “lander” instead…

16 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Indeed. He is a die hard Canucks fan. Unfortunate we didn’t win the lotto but it’s in the past. 

It almost looked like Bedard was thinking, "Congrats. You lucky bastard." 

Haha! 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

I agree with the bolded, though shouldn't that be expected of a league that is trying to prove that they're the best of the best when it comes to hockey?  If you're not competitive (from a revenue perspective), maybe you shouldn't have a franchise or you don't deserve a franchise?  And I say this knowing full well that this is exactly what could also happen to the Canucks under those circumstances.  All this stuff about caps and salary limits and contract limits and stuff - it's just helping to prop up franchises that if they were in any other realm of business would have been shuttered and ceased operations years ago.

Anyways, just my shiny nickel (because 2 cents is worth f**k all these days).

I completely agree/disagree with you at the same time.

In a 'free market' if a team can't maintain fiscal viability then ergo they shouldn't exist - period.  Law of the jungle, only the strong survive, eat or be eaten....yadayadayada.....Wall Street kind of stuff.  By those measures you make money and exist or you don't make money and cease to exist. 

But the NHL doesn't operate in a 'free market system' though - they're a 'league' and therefore members of their 'league' must agree to abide by a certain set of rules/expectations that are there for the betterment of the collective.  Case in point - Arizona.  They have absolutely no business existing in a 'free market' but here we are.....how many years later, and they're still living off the good graces of Bettman and any BOG member he can convince to keep them in the league. 

I've said it numerous times before but it bears repeating - the NHL exists despite some of it's own executives/members sometimes, not because of them. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

4 hours ago, mikeyman109 said:

Because we havent won any cups doing it the other way

And we haven't won cups doing it for need either. See burkies first couple of drafts. As for willander I thought he was drafted a bit high and that we could have got him if we traded down. However, if this guy hits, then you got another hamhuis. Really like that he is gonna be learning under pandolfo and his excellent coaching staff for the next couple of years.

6 minutes ago, Isam said:

And we haven't won cups doing it for need either. See burkies first couple of drafts. As for willander I thought he was drafted a bit high and that we could have got him if we traded down. However, if this guy hits, then you got another hamhuis. Really like that he is gonna be learning under pandolfo and his excellent coaching staff for the next couple of years.

If he hits, his ceiling is definitely higher than Hamhuis. And that’s no slight on Hammer. You may see a Pesce/McAvoy/Andersson. Not to mention he models his game after Heiskanen. You can see in his eyes he has the drive to be the best. Very excited to follow his development at BU. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

1 minute ago, Camel Toe Drag said:

If he hits, his ceiling is definitely higher than Hamhuis. And that’s no slight on Hammer. You may see a Pesce/McAvoy/Andersson. Not to mention he models his game after Heiskanen. You can see in his eyes he has the drive to be the best. Very excited to follow his development at BU. 

I agree. Based off of the limited highlights I've seen, this guy's skating ability alone, and creating offense, clearly outshines Hamhuis, who was a great, solid D. 

21 minutes ago, Camel Toe Drag said:

He is not where heiskanen was at the same age. Heiskanen could control the game just walking the blueline. He doesn't have that quality yet or the shot. His shot and how he thinks the game in the offensive zone is gonna limit him a bit. I tend to see alot of another guy too in slavin. Still will be fun to watch especially under the tutelage of pandolfo.

40 minutes ago, Camel Toe Drag said:

I think you are underrating Hamhuis. He was every bit as good as Pesce and finished 10th in Norris voting one year. He was easily one of the top shutdown defensemen in the league (along with Vlasic) and even got ice time ahead of an in-his-prime PK Subban coming off a Norris trophy win at the Olympics. 

If Willander can become a slightly better offensive version of Hamhuis that would be incredible. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, Diamonds said:

I think you are underrating Hamhuis. He was every bit as good as Pesce and finished 10th in Norris voting one year. He was easily one of the top shutdown defensemen in the league (along with Vlasic) and even got ice time ahead of an in-his-prime PK Subban coming off a Norris trophy win at the Olympics. 

If Willander can become a slightly better offensive version of Hamhuis that would be incredible. 

I've heard a rumor that Marc-Édouard is a pickle heir.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Diamonds said:

Agreed. Hamhuis is/was underrated - if Willander comes close to developing into the type of player Hammer was (nevermind becoming a better player potentially), Allvin should be very, very pleased with that.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Fanuck said:

Agreed. Hamhuis is/was underrated - if Willander comes close to developing into the type of player Hammer was (nevermind becoming a better player potentially), Allvin should be very, very pleased with that.

As I said no slight on Hamhuis but I think Willander has a higher ceiling offensively. Defensively Hamhuis would be a great outcome. 

• Cheers 2

3 hours ago, Isam said:

There are some that think trading down would not have gotten you Willander. Mostly cause the people that were looking to trade up were in the 20s. And Willander was almost certainly gonna be gone by 16. If you have a guy you like, especially a RD. You take him.

Life isn't like EA where you brute force a trade down to the perfect spot. And players always go around where they're scouted. Complaining about we should have traded down assumes it was possible to do so and still get Willander and we just didn't for lols. There was talks of doing it, but losing Willander wasn't worth the squeeze. 

We complain about not using 1sts on D-men and when we do it we complain about doing it a different way. We're a fickle bunch.

3 hours ago, Camel Toe Drag said:

But can he throw a hip check? 

I'm stoked he could be a fantastic partner for Hughes. Will we still have Hughes by the time he's ready??

44 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Willander used to be a forward, and now he's a D.

Can he take faceoffs? Has a D ever taken a faceoff before?  :bigblush:

Bieksa did... don't remember if he ever touched the puck though before dropping the gloves.

• Cheers 1

20 hours ago, Pure961089 said:

Benson if he breaks right could be a special player if he doesn't his floor is a slightly more talented virsion of Connor Garland.  

In fairness.  If I recall, Garland had far better numbers and played on a far worse team than benson.  And by far better I believe he was like 35+ points ahead of his next team mate and over 50 from the 3rd highest scoring player on his team while playing the PK and PP in jr.  

So if his floor is somehow a more talented Garland then so be it.  Willander at his floor is still a vastly better player in a far greater position of importance to this club,.