The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Cal Foote 24 -RD - 6'5 - 220 Might be Unqualified ? Nashville

2 hours ago, CR7 said:

Puljiujarvi just under went double hip surgery, he'll be out for 8 months. Foote and Asplund wouldn't be bad adds, if for nothing else than more depth

Likely Femoroacetabular Impingement, and it's genetic. If I had to take a wild guess I would assume a CAM impingement due to the clunky way he skated. Means the head of the leg bone isn't the ideal round shape, and a little more flat so it has a hard time moving in the socket. Essentially, with FAI bones spurs start to grow inside the hip and little pieces of bone either rub on surrounding bone, or muscle or connective tissue in the area. Can be incredibly painful and limit movement severely. 

Hopefully he can fully recover and get back to playing at a high level, but I wouldn't be confident. I believe he had surgery on the same thing in 2019. There is something called Wolff's Law, that more or less mans if you pull on attachment points of bones they can elongate and cause spurs. If he has those spurs shaved down in 2019 and only a handful of years later he's having it done again, means that the bones are creating spurs at a pretty accelerated rate. Either that, or the surgery wasn't particularly successful the first time, which isn't unheard of, my understanding of FAI surgery is that it's only successful at reducing symptoms around 70% of the time. Gotta hope for his sake that he was part of the 30ish% that the surgery didn't take for, and this next one will be better.

• Thanks 1
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • Vintage 1

11 minutes ago, -Moose said:

Daliwahl confirmed the Canucks are not going to attempt to sign Foote. His father being the coach is not a good fit and puts the locker room an in awkward situation 

Interesting. I think he coached his other son in Kelowna

45 minutes ago, -Moose said:

Daliwahl confirmed the Canucks are not going to attempt to sign Foote. His father being the coach is not a good fit and puts the locker room an in awkward situation 

Ugh the coach’s sons were the worst.

• Haha 3

I was thinking it’s a weird fit with his old man behind the bench.  

To say it plain: It’s a weird fit because he isn’t that good.  If he were a clear cut superstar it wouldn’t be much of a problem.

But as it stands, he’s a bottom pair / depth guy so it would put Adam in a weird spot benching his kid - or being called out if he got too much rope, deservedly or not.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Get Cal Foote.  I don't worry about the locker room problems too much.  Professional hockey is a very small market, and everyone knows everyone anyways.  Our cap space is tight (still need to resign EP40 and AK96) in the next little while.  Cal Foote is young and we can still shape him to our defensive needs over the next few years.  Any veteran we hire in UFA, we will nearly 100% need to overpay.  We done that overpayment dance enough times already.  

Edited by CHIPS
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

I was thinking the same. It's a bit of a conflict of interest.

On the other hand, Cal was drafted with belief in his skill. It hasn't panned out (clearly) but perhaps with his fathers guidance? 

Nah. Still a conflict.

Come on management!  I want The Two Towers at our 3rd pairing D.  Who cares about whatever conflict of interest because Adam Foote is a coach?  Is that really that big of a deal?  A poll shows that 62% of the Canucks fans wants Cal Foote as a Canucks.  Get him!  :emot-parrot:

Edited by CHIPS

23 hours ago, kloubek said:

I was thinking the same. It's a bit of a conflict of interest.

On the other hand, Cal was drafted with belief in his skill. It hasn't panned out (clearly) but perhaps with his fathers guidance? 

Nah. Still a conflict.

7 minutes ago, CHIPS said:

Come on management!  I want The Two Towers at our 3rd pairing D.  Who cares about whatever conflict of interest because Adam Foote is a coach?  Is that really that big of a deal?  A poll shows that 62% of the Canucks fans wants Cal Foote as a Canucks.  Get him!  :emot-parrot:

I'd imagine we're more concerned that he's simply not that good, and we already have a plethora of depth D prospects.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, aGENT said:

I'd imagine we're more concerned that he's simply not that good, and we already have a plethora of depth D prospects.

No he's tall and his dad was good, therefore he's good and we need him. 

• Haha 1

People need to understand. 

The chances are actually higher for highly drafted prospect that has been thrown around by multiple teams being bad than them being good. 

You are actually surrounded by examples.. Kravtsov (ok fine, too early to tell), Lias Andersson, Jost, Juolevi.