The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Cal Foote 24 -RD - 6'5 - 220 Might be Unqualified ? Nashville

• Sportsnet’s Elliotte Friedman cites colleague Jeff Marek to report that the two restricted free agents the Nashville Predators will issue qualifying offers are center Cody Glass and defenseman Alexandre Carrier. That means notable players such as 2017 first-round pick Cal Foote and capable defensive winger Rasmus Asplund will hit the open market. It’s somewhat a surprise to see Foote go unqualified, seeing that he was recently acquired as part of the Tanner Jeannottrade and does have a first-round pedigree.
  • Sam Steel won’t be issued a qualifying offer by the Minnesota Wild, according to The Athletic’s Michael Russo. Steel had a decent season with the Wild, scoring 10 goals and 28 points playing at times in the team’s number-one center role. But the Wild could be weary of Steel’s arbitration potential given their dire cap issues, so he’ll now have a chance to hit the open market in a few days.
  • I like Cal Foote lots of upside and would add toughness say 1 yr X 950,000 - One way deal,  show me more ?
  • Like 1

Pass on steel.. if the wild really wanted him they don't even have to worry about arbitration.. just qualify him and work on a deal worse case is steel elect arbitration.. wild have the right to walk away on a player elected arbitration.. so seems wild are not really that interested at keeping him.. we need some size on this team.. dont need more 5"11 <190lb players.

cal foote i don't mind.. he can go work with his dad and maybe work on the fundamentals

10 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

Pass on steel.. if the wild really wanted him they don't even have to worry about arbitration.. just qualify him and work on a deal worse case is steel elect arbitration.. wild have the right to walk away on a player elected arbitration.. so seems wild are not really that interested at keeping him.. we need some size on this team.. dont need more 5"11 <190lb players.

cal foote i don't mind.. he can go work with his dad and maybe work on the fundamentals

He was also part of the WJHC team under investigation.  Until he's cleared, hard pass.

30 minutes ago, Neutral said:

He could still carve out a nice career, we came to love a guy very similar to Foote in Luke Schenn. Former high pick, traded away then ended up in the AHL then re invented his game and is still contributing well in a depth role into his mid 30s now. So, maybe Cal Foote can turn it around with his dad as coach and Gonchar around part time similarily to how Schenn was about to turn his career from looking over to going on to win 2 Stanley Cups and be a great depth D for any NHL club to have

Yeah, I'd take a flyer on Foote if he comes cheap. 

The opportunity to work with his dad could be tempting to come here. 

• Like 2
  • elephant 1

Foote is a very decent target that we have a good chance of getting.

He is a defensively responsible player that can definitely play 3rd pairing minutes plus PK. And he has the potential to be a top pairing Dman in the future alongside someone like Hughes.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BigTramFan said:

Foote is a very decent target that we have a good chance of getting.

He is a defensively responsible player that can definitely play 3rd pairing minutes plus PK. And he has the potential to be a top pairing Dman in the future alongside someone like Hughes.

The guy improved a lot in Nashville but it's big talk to suggest he can keep up on a top pairing.

Could contain: Boy, Male, Person, Teen, Text, Chart, Plot

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

Kinda off-topic but techincally not. 

I've always really liked Rasmus Asplund whenever I've watched him play. No idea how he's been doing the past 2 seasons but I've been a fan in the past. 

Great defensive traits, a little undersized but has that classic Swedish responsible game and can be used on the PK. 

Perhaps a lower tier option for the Canucks? 

Edited by DeltaSwede
  • Vintage 1