The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Cal Foote 24 -RD - 6'5 - 220 Might be Unqualified ? Nashville

6 hours ago, Drakrami said:

If true, looks like Cal Foote is a bust. 2 pro teams took a good look at him and shook their heads. 

Didn't two pro teams look at Gustav Forsling before he became a top 4 Dman in Florida at age 25?  How about Jared McCann?  Wasn't he on 3 different teams before scoring 40 goals for his 4th team, Seattle, at age 26?

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3
  • RoughGame 1

6 hours ago, Neutral said:

He could still carve out a nice career, we came to love a guy very similar to Foote in Luke Schenn. Former high pick, traded away then ended up in the AHL then re invented his game and is still contributing well in a depth role into his mid 30s now. So, maybe Cal Foote can turn it around with his dad as coach and Gonchar around part time similarily to how Schenn was about to turn his career from looking over to going on to win 2 Stanley Cups and be a great depth D for any NHL club to have

Plus, at 24 he's still got time to learn. D men can often take a bit longer to develop and really find their game. 

Other teams may have had cap/other reasons to pass on him as well. Doesn't mean we have to follow their lead.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

7 hours ago, Drakrami said:

If true, looks like Cal Foote is a bust. 2 pro teams took a good look at him and shook their heads. 

TB makes sense as they are only going for the cup, so they have little time to develop within the NHL squad.  Nashville just signed Livingstone and they likely want to offer him mins along with Barrie and maybe Fabbro unless they trade him.  It's almost the exact same situation as Bear where there isn't necessarily a lot of room.  Foote has the exact fundamentals that we need (Size, speed etc), and we have the flexibility to start him on the 3rd pairing and see if he can evolve into a potential Hughes partner or maybe in case of injury.  

If we can get Schenn back maybe he, Gonchar and Foote's dad can all mentor/coach him.  If we move Myers early on and sign Tryamkin, Foote and Schenn we could have:

Hughes Schenn

Tryamkin Hronek

Hirose Foote 

Would be a nice transition D to see what we have and adjust for the following year.  We could also get Schenn, Tryamkin and Foote together for the price of Soucy or a little more.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

Plus, at 24 he's still got time to learn. D men can often take a bit longer to develop and really find their game. 

Other teams may have had cap/other reasons to pass on him as well. Doesn't mean we have to follow their lead.

Agreed. Also, other teams likely have better young Dmen in their system.  The Canucks defence has been brutally thin for several years. This could be a good pick up, for the right price. 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

TB makes sense as they are only going for the cup, so they have little time to develop within the NHL squad.  Nashville just signed Livingstone and they likely want to offer him mins along with Barrie and maybe Fabbro unless they trade him.  It's almost the exact same situation as Bear where there isn't necessarily a lot of room.  Foote has the exact fundamentals that we need (Size, speed etc), and we have the flexibility to start him on the 3rd pairing and see if he can evolve into a potential Hughes partner or maybe in case of injury.  

If we can get Schenn back maybe he, Gonchar and Foote's dad can all mentor/coach him.  If we move Myers early on and sign Tryamkin, Foote and Schenn we could have:

Hughes Schenn

Tryamkin Hronek

Hirose Foote 

Would be a nice transition D to see what we have and adjust for the following year.  We could also get Schenn, Tryamkin and Foote together for the price of Soucy or a little more.

“And with the first overall pick in the 2024 NHL entry draft Vancouver is proud to select Macklin Celebrini…”

If their goal is to make the playoffs next season that will not be their D core.

Edited by DeNiro

6 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

“And with the first overall pick in the 2024 NHL entry draft Vancouver is proud to select Macklin Celebrini…”

If their goal is to make the playoffs next season that will not be their D core.

No team with Petey, Hughes and Demko, let alone Miller, Hronek, Kuzmenko etc etc is finishing last.  Team was sewered because of Demko's start and a few other factors like having no team structure.

I would treat this as a transition year to clear some cap (Myers) and maybe a winger (Boeser/Garland) and give some guys a chance to see what we have.  This is not the year to sign guys like Soucy as it won't move the needle at all beyond what I recommended and we will overpay.  If we can snag someone like Carlo effectively, then sure, but otherwise, we need to focus on cheaper complimentary pieces.

59 minutes ago, rekker said:

Watched him on the Rockets and I never understood the hype. Saw a lack of hockey sense and mobility which is a bad combo. Worth a try I suppose. If his last name wasn't Foote, he probably never had made it this far.

Not that I'd be against adding a big rhd, but he's not a particularly good player.  

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

Hughes Schenn

Tryamkin Hronek

Hirose Foote 

What's with CDC'ers and their infatuation with former players? He ain't coming back, period. That ship has sailed. Saying that, if Schenn was available and the feeling was mutual between Luke and the Canucks, I'd bet they'd take him back in a heart beat, for the right price.

13 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

No team with Petey, Hughes and Demko, let alone Miller, Hronek, Kuzmenko etc etc is finishing last.  Team was sewered because of Demko's start and a few other factors like having no team structure.

I would treat this as a transition year to clear some cap (Myers) and maybe a winger (Boeser/Garland) and give some guys a chance to see what we have.  This is not the year to sign guys like Soucy as it won't move the needle at all beyond what I recommended and we will overpay.  If we can snag someone like Carlo effectively, then sure, but otherwise, we need to focus on cheaper complimentary pieces.

A transition year after a transition decade. 
That is actually likely the most appropriate thing to do for our long term success which kind of makes it the least likely thing to happen. 
The OEL buyout on top of the mandate from ownership of playoffs now whatever the cost tells us we are going the other way. We will spend every penny on win now pieces. 
Really wish we would use the cap space we bought more effectively than signing middling UFAs but seems increasingly unlikely as time goes on. 
Either that or we have done an amazing job of closing leaks because there is barely a whiff of any news around us. 

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

What's with CDC'ers and their infatuation with former players? He ain't coming back, period. That ship has sailed. Saying that, if Schenn was available and the feeling was mutual between Luke and the Canucks, I'd bet they'd take him back in a heart beat, for the right price.

Glad to know you have some inside information that nobody else does.  Would be nice if you shared your source if you have it.  I don't think it's a infatuation with former players, as nobody wants to bring back Pouliot, Wellwood etc and not even a peep on Bonino as our next 3C for cheap.  Tryamkin is only because he showed flashes of being a unique talent as a young prospect, and has only solidified himself in the KHL as a top shutdown type player with mobility.  Him at 2M short term vs Soucy at 4M long term is almost a no brainer for our 2nd pair needs, so why not.  Gives us more cap to find an upgrade on Schenn to pair with Hughes? 

Closing doors for no reason makes no sense at all.

• There it is 1

1 minute ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

Glad to know you have some inside information that nobody else does.  Would be nice if you shared your source if you have it.  I don't think it's a infatuation with former players, as nobody wants to bring back Pouliot, Wellwood etc and not even a peep on Bonino as our next 3C for cheap.  Tryamkin is only because he showed flashes of being a unique talent as a young prospect, and has only solidified himself in the KHL as a top shutdown type player with mobility.  Him at 2M short term vs Soucy at 4M long term is almost a no brainer for our 2nd pair needs, so why not.  Gives us more cap to find an upgrade on Schenn to pair with Hughes? 

Closing doors for no reason makes no sense at all.

But, you put him in the lineup, and there is no way in hell this new management team is interested in Tryamkin. All those rumours were coming from his agent about him wanting back in the NHL. I have as many sources as you have, none! That ship has sailed

30 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

A transition year after a transition decade. 
That is actually likely the most appropriate thing to do for our long term success which kind of makes it the least likely thing to happen. 
The OEL buyout on top of the mandate from ownership of playoffs now whatever the cost tells us we are going the other way. We will spend every penny on win now pieces. 
Really wish we would use the cap space we bought more effectively than signing middling UFAs but seems increasingly unlikely as time goes on. 
Either that or we have done an amazing job of closing leaks because there is barely a whiff of any news around us. 

Definitely have done that for the past decade and as you mention, we have a lot of potential options internally that we will never find out about unless we give them the opportunity.  Prospects aren't static and as they develop, they need opportunity to grow further.  They won't all do that, but some will.  I think we have enough internal options with Woo, Brisebois, Hoglander, Karlsson, Hirose, McWard etc etc, that we can sign some cost effective contracts to insulate them, but we don't need to sign older FAs to longer term deals that don't move the needle and block the ability for prospects to emerge. 

We are not in cup contention yet and that's what you do at that phase.  Schenn is a true soldier and makes sense to bring back.  Tryamkin could be a super effective signing with high upside vs contract value (no risk), and Foote could be a cheap risk worth taking.  Soucy, Graves etc likely age of their inflated contracts before we really need them.  Not the year to spend on them.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, johngould21 said:

But, you put him in the lineup, and there is no way in hell this new management team is interested in Tryamkin. All those rumours were coming from his agent about him wanting back in the NHL. I have as many sources as you have, none! That ship has sailed

So we both have no sources yet it's concluded to not happen.  Not sure how that adds up.  Tryamkin's agent is the same as Willander's so it's likely there has at least been a discussion, regardless of who initiated it.  I put him in the lineup as a proposal, because I feel the low cost, high potential of a player like Tryamkin fits our roster composition perfectly with no downside if he doesn't work out.  I also have no idea why this new management would not be interested.  The management at the time when he was here was a tire fire.

• RoughGame 1