The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Red Wings sign Justin Holl

4 minutes ago, JeremyCuddles said:

Do people that hate this deal like the Soucy deal? Genuinely curious.

Don't "hate" it FWIW. Soucy plays with more "mean", is signed for less, and otherwise is a roughly equivalent player, but with more intangibles.

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Don't "hate" it FWIW. Soucy plays with more "mean", is signed for less, and otherwise is a roughly equivalent player, but with more intangibles.

150k difference, so the signed for less part sounds better than it is. Holl plays quite a bit more. So he gets in front of more pucks and hits about as much. He produces slightly more offence with sub 44% ozone starts whereas Soucy had 54% ozone starts last season. I dunno. Sounds like Holl is the better player making 150k more and is right handed. If you like the Soucy contract this one is slightly better. The only notable advantage I give Soucy is age. Seem like more or less the same kind of contract. Which is why I found it funny people are killing Yzerman for this deal but are also complimentary of the Soucy deal. Holl the slightly better player and right handed, so he got slightly more than Soucy. They seem to be about the same level of "fair."

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, JeremyCuddles said:

150k difference, so the signed for less part sounds better than it is. Holl plays quite a bit more. So he gets in front of more pucks and hits about as much. He produces slightly more offence with sub 44% ozone starts whereas Soucy had 54% ozone starts last season. I dunno. Sounds like Holl is the better player making 150k more and is right handed. If you like the Soucy contract this one is slightly better. The only notable advantage I give Soucy is age. Seem like more or less the same kind of contract. Which is why I found it funny people are killing Yzerman for this deal but are also complimentary of the Soucy deal. Holl the slightly better player and right handed, so he got slightly more than Soucy. They seem to be about the same level of "fair."

Was pretty meh in the playoffs, "vanilla" skill set similar to Poolman, lacks intangibles.

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Was pretty meh in the playoffs, "vanilla" skill set similar to Poolman, lacks intangibles.

Soucy wasn't exactly a world beater either, had his minutes reduced when the playoffs started. All I am saying is both signings are a bag of meh. But the difference is people hate Holl and celebrate Soucy. Either both suck or both are decent.