The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[RUMOUR] William Nylander seeking a contract over $10 million

49 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

This. He shouldn’t have to take a pay cut to accommodate the other 3 who aren’t taking a pay cut. Not sure why some here can’t grasp this. ::D

......because the others were OVERPAID in the first place genius! I actually agree with others in that he is probably worth more then the others. He is , however ,asking for too much. 

Like I said, I wouldn't take any of these guys if I want to win, although WN is the best of the bunch because he actually produces when it counts, in the playoffs. 

• Cheers 1

36 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

He is if Tavares Marner and Matthews are 11+. 

Not so much Tavares when he signed his last contract but Marner and Mathews are much better, especially Mathews. Far more than a 10% in salary spread. 

4 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

I would hope that 10M x 8 years could get it done. 

He doesn't seem to have the same character issues as Double Flamingo at least.  I don't see him as being the type of guy who would quit on his teammates to force management to give him more money than he's earned, unlike Nylander.

17 minutes ago, rekker said:

Minimum 11 per. Cap rising next season and EP and his agent know it. He's worth at least 11, most likely 11.5 per. 

Book it. And Aqua will have no problem handing that out too if that is the figure. 
I think he’s all in on EP, especially given what happened in CGY 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

Yeah, that's not how that works when players negotiate deals. And I don’t care who’s on your wishlist. He has a valid point and comparable for a raise. 

It's not whether Tavares deserves his contract.  He does.  The issue with the Leafs is that their cap structure is poor.  When they only had Matthews, Marner and Nylander at the top of the line up, they were pushing it with 3 very large contracts and then Dubas added Tavares which sealed their fate.

1 hour ago, grandmaster said:

I have a sense Petey wouldn’t chase after every scrap of Cap space just like JT. These guys seem like good team players. 

They want to win. They love winning and hate losing. Lucky to have them.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

It's not whether Tavares deserves his contract.  He does.  The issue with the Leafs is that their cap structure is poor.  When they only had Matthews, Marner and Nylander at the top of the line up, they were pushing it with 3 very large contracts and then Dubas added Tavares which sealed their fate.

I'm not entirely sure if it's poor, per se.  Top-heavy for sure, but one where you can still fill the rest of the roster with decent talent.  At their best, the big three are worth every penny.  60 goals, 120 points, without being weak defensively?  Imagine if they were that deadly in the playoffs (spoiler - they weren't).  Dubas was pretty good at filling the roster with cheap players like Giordano, Bunting, and Jarnkrok.  Even Samsonov was cheap.  And of course, a 40-goal forward who played well in the playoffs earning an affordable $6.7M.

What you can't do is fill the roster with more high-end players.  Domi is fine, but they simply can't afford Klingberg/Bertuzzi.  Solid contracts but no cap space.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, EdgarM said:

......because the others were OVERPAID in the first place genius! I actually agree with others in that he is probably worth more then the others. He is , however ,asking for too much. 

Like I said, I wouldn't take any of these guys if I want to win, although WN is the best of the bunch because he actually produces when it counts, in the playoffs. 

Whether they’re overpaid or not means nothing, they set the bar. They took no discounts so why should he to stay there? 

If he leaves Toronto market changes for him, between cap and what he does this coming season will show where he falls there. But ZERO reason he shouldn’t settle for less than 10 to stay in Toronto. 

2 hours ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

I'm not entirely sure if it's poor, per se.  Top-heavy for sure, but one where you can still fill the rest of the roster with decent talent.  At their best, the big three are worth every penny.  60 goals, 120 points, without being weak defensively?  Imagine if they were that deadly in the playoffs (spoiler - they weren't).  Dubas was pretty good at filling the roster with cheap players like Giordano, Bunting, and Jarnkrok.  Even Samsonov was cheap.  And of course, a 40-goal forward who played well in the playoffs earning an affordable $6.7M.

What you can't do is fill the roster with more high-end players.  Domi is fine, but they simply can't afford Klingberg/Bertuzzi.  Solid contracts but no cap space.

Klingberg is iffy but Bertuzzi is also very good value for one year, he's going to play for a contract.    I'd take him any day over Brock. 

Edited by IBatch

One thing that Nylander, and his agent know, is 10 in TO is like 8.5 in six US cities, and 9 in another dozen or so.    If he really wants his money, someone will give him 8.5-9 x 7 or 8 if they trade for him, and he knows that.    If I was TO, would consider getting ahead of this, and at least get something while they can.   Although maybe it's worth it to them to keep him, you know in a contract year he's going to push hard.   

Edited by IBatch