The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign Nils Hoglander to 2 year $1.1M

Odd.

I like Hogs. He's a great guy, got a motor that won't quit, and never stops working.

That being said. I'm on the fence if he's going to be a decent 3rd liner, he seems like he'd slot in on the top six, but there's no real room in the top six.

I have to say, I'm rooting for the guy, but I just don't know. I really hopes he blows everyone away at training camp.

• Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, Ted Lasso said:

Hope you’re right. There are 8-9 teams that need a scoring winger, with Tarasenko/Kane as the only big name UFA’s left. Maybe we can find a trade for a bottom 6 winger that opens enough cap to add Suter as well.

Suter + Comtois, then trade for Pesce ::D

• Cheers 1

Over paid by 200k. 

Hogz couldn't make a bottom feeder team last year, he should be getting 900k 2 year deal.. 

If it was a 1 year deal, should be league minimum.  Show me what you can do deal. 

I love the kid. Hope he plays 80 games scores 20 plus goals for us.. but if he can't make the team last year then no way he should make over a million dollars this year. 

• Cheers 1

44 minutes ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

Its not very good for the Canucks. Now in 2 years , he will  be getting a Bouvilleir contract.

Should have given him 4 years 1.8 million 

He already proved himself an NHL player in the NHL and in the AHL.  Before he was sent down , he was in the top 10 points wise for his draft class 

The guy didn’t proved anything other than he was not NHL worthy. 

3 coaches worked on this guy and found him to be a liability. 

These next 2 years are where he will hopefully prove himself. 

This contract is good for both sides.

3 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Over paid by 200k. 

Hogz couldn't make a bottom feeder team last year, he should be getting 900k 2 year deal.. 

If it was a 1 year deal, should be league minimum.  Show me what you can do deal. 

I love the kid. Hope he plays 80 games scores 20 plus goals for us.. but if he can't make the team last year then no way he should make over a million dollars this year. 

On a 1 year, that's true. But on a 2 year deal I think 1.1mil is more than fair. He didn't "fail" to make this team, it just made more sense to give him ice time in the A rather than 8-10 minutes on the 4th line.

• Cheers 2

8 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Over paid by 200k. 

I agree, I would have offered 1.1m if it was a 3 year deal as that could be a nice steal for us if Hog hits and becomes a contributing top 9 forward for us. But at the end of the day 200k aint gonna kill the cap and if he can't make our line up and hits waivers we won't have to worry about him clearing as he would get claimed but in the off chance he does clear his cap hit gets buried so again not an issue.

Wish Hoglander best of luck, come to camp ready to impress Tocchet as we have seen if he likes a player he will play them and play them up the line up like PDG getting to play with JT Miller

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Hopefully low. He's our cheaper Garland replacement IMO.

I’ve given up that Garland will be traded. The Cap is too tight for most teams to take on a 5M player. 

Our only relief for Cap will be when Myers gets traded (hopefully before the season starts). We won’t have to add for a Myers trade once his bonus is paid. There are a few bottom teams who just want to make the Cap floor and not pay too much. 

12 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

I’ve given up that Garland will be traded. The Cap is too tight for most teams to take on a 5M player. 

Our only relief for Cap will be when Myers gets traded (hopefully before the season starts). We won’t have to add for a Myers trade once his bonus is paid. There are a few bottom teams who just want to make the Cap floor and not pay too much. 

Y'all are too impatient. Too much "if a team was willing to take him on it would have been done by now!" :frantic:

No it wouldn't. We're likely waiting for a team's asking price to come down, they're waiting for us to pay a bit more. Somebody/two GM's will eventually blink/compromise. IMO, we'll eventually likely end up doing something like Garland, Rathbone and our extra NJD 4th  to say CHI for say our 2nd back that they have.

Chicago gets a decent, still young'ish F to help play around Bedard and co and flip in a few years, a young offensive D to play on the PP with him, and still gets a pick.

Edited by aGENT

20 minutes ago, rekker said:

I don't think it was so much that he couldn't play on the team as it was going to the AHL to work on some things. NHL isn't a development league so may as well get him minutes in the minors while he is still eligible. Smart move by management nut rushing Hogs. I'm high on Hogs, he has a fire to succeed and is somewhat fearless. Great signing. 

I also believe he was a few games short of being waiver exempt. Not sure if he can be waived this year or not. 

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, BarnBurner said:

I also believe he was a few games short of being waiver exempt. Not sure if he can be waived this year or not. 

Hogs can be claimed if waived. So can Pods. Woo too. 

Edited by Alflives
  • Cheers 2