The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Maple Leafs sign Martin Jones

But for last season's s***show, Martin is a very good AHL backup and could be a solid NHL backup on

a team that can can play a decent defensive game.  I would like to see him being Demko's backup

on an improved Canuck team this season. 

He was thrown into a horrible situation last year and couldn't cope with the overwhelming demands.  I

suspect he will perform adequately if given moderate opportunities.

Later in the season, if it doesn't look like he's managing well, then switch him with Silovs.

• Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Martin Jones hasn't been relevant in 5 years.  The only reason he had a winning record last year was he played for Seattle.  .886 SV% is brutal playing in front of Seattle's defence.  He wasn't much better than Spencer Martin and was worse than Arturs Silovs...

Can't argue with him signing somewhere that a goalie who is that bad still has a legit chance to be the starter.

• Haha 1
  • There it is 1

18 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Martin Jones hasn't been relevant in 5 years.  The only reason he had a winning record last year was he played for Seattle.  .886 SV% is brutal playing in front of Seattle's defence.  He wasn't much better than Spencer Martin and was worse than Arturs Silovs...

Seattles defense is pretty average.

They had success by outscoring their weak defensive system. Grubauer suffered the same fate under it.

I would have been much more comfortable with a vet like Jones backing up. I think they’re taking a real risk of having to overplay Demko again.

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Well gonna have to make a trade now then.

Going with Martin or Silovs as your plan A will blow up in their faces guaranteed.

Yup, this one I agree with you 100% Martin blows and it will mean we run Demko into the ground. Either he wins the Vezina or far more likely injured again. 

• Cheers 1

Martin is the better option imho

https://ca.yahoo.com/sports/news/maple-leafs-sign-veteran-martin-jones-to-bolster-goaltending-depth-181823519.html

Maple Leafs sign veteran Martin Jones to bolster goaltending depth

The Toronto Maple Leafs have onboarded a veteran goaltender with a dubious statistical record in recent seasons.

The Toronto Maple Leafs added goaltending depth on Wednesday by signing Martin Jones to a one-year contract worth $875,000.

Jones comes to the Maple Leafs after a rough season with the Seattle Kraken that saw him produce a .886 save percentage in 48 games.

The 33-year-old is in the middle of a rough stretch of his career, as his save percentage has topped .900 just once over the last five seasons. His GSAA since 2018-19 (-49.49) ranks dead last amongst all NHL netminders.

While those numbers are not inspiring in the slightest, the signing is understandable from the Maple Leafs' point of view as the team had a complete lack of depth between the pipes before bringing Jones aboard.

Prior to the signing, the team's third goaltender options behind Ilya Samsonov and Joseph Woll were total wild cards like Dennis Hildeby, Vyacheslav Peksa, and Keith Petruzzelli — a trio with no NHL experience and a combined 36 games at the AHL level.

While the deal with Jones is reportedly a one-way contract, the fact that Jones was still available in August at this price is a solid indicator that he is likely to clear waivers if Toronto wants to stash him in the AHL as their third goalie.

Not only can Jones provide insurance in case Samsonov or Woll get injured, the team also has a layer of protection against Woll faltering. The 25-year-old looked promising last season, but he remains relatively unproven with just 11 NHL games under his belt.

If last year's strong work across the AHL and NHL levels don't translate to quality production in 2023-24, the Maple Leafs have another option.

Signing Jones is unlikely to help Toronto reach a new level, but he raises the team's floor by a tiny margin. He may have been arguably the NHL's worst goalie in recent years, but he is an NHL goalie, which is more than can be confidently said about other options outside of their top duo.

If 2023-24 goes the way the Maple Leafs hope this is the sort of signing likely to be forgotten. If things start to go sideways, there's a chance they'll be glad they have Jones.

Edited by RWJC

3 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Yup, this one I agree with you 100% Martin blows and it will mean we run Demko into the ground. Either he wins the Vezina or far more likely injured again. 

Adin Hill played 27 games during the regular season and looked fresh in every series.

Not that Demko will play that little but I think there’s something to be said about a goalie playing less than 60. I think that’s what they need to aim for this season. No way Martin can handle the other 25 or so.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Maybe not but throwing Silovs into the fire or hoping Martin can regain some sort of NHL form isn’t a great plan A IMO.

Silovs might be the guy but I’d rather see him get lots of games in Abby to start.

I also don’t have much faith in Martin anymore. I think he went on a run of Hamburglar proportions and that’s it.

Yeah, it's not guaranteed to fail but it is very close to it. He had a real good run with zero pressure where we were due to win some games.  After that he absolutely tragic. It's a recipe for disaster unfortunately. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Gawdzukes said:

Yeah, it's not guaranteed to fail but it is very close to it. He had a real good run with zero pressure where we were due to win some games.  After that he absolutely tragic. It's a recipe for disaster unfortunately. 

One of the key areas I was hoping they were gonna target along with another top 4 D and a third line center.

I wonder if the uncertainty surrounding Pearson has handcuffed them right now.

16 minutes ago, JeremyCuddles said:

If our defence is as improved as management hopes, Martin should be fine for 15ish starts. Preferably more to keep Demko healthy, but I think we're gonna be leaning on him heavily to make the playoffs.

Barring larger injuries, I'd imagine Silovs gets a few home games as well here in there. 15-20 starts for Martin, 5-10 for Silovs and 55-60 for Demko. Clearly we should all panic :bored:

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Barring larger injuries, I'd imagine Silovs gets a few home games as well here in there. 15-20 starts for Martin, 5-10 for Silovs and 55-60 for Demko. Clearly we should all panic :bored:

Vegas ran like 4 goalies or something crazy. I am guessing we're gonna maybe lean more towards a defensive style. And we added Soucy and Cole. I don't think it's crazy to run Martin. And not many teams only run 2 goalies. Injuries are pretty common for the position. So it's almost certain that Silovs and Martin will see NHL time this season.

• Cheers 1